Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

First One - mosfet amplifier module
First One - mosfet amplifier module
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th May 2014, 07:07 PM   #701
danny_66 is online now danny_66  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Hi Andrej,

A package arrived with two nice red boxes in it.
The build can start

Thanks for this project !

Regards,
Danny
Old 13th May 2014, 11:52 AM   #702
meanman1964 is offline meanman1964  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Went to the post office today and now holding my First One modules in my hand right now.
Realy top notch quality
Old 13th May 2014, 12:17 PM   #703
rellum is offline rellum  France
diyAudio Member

Hi Andrej,

Your boxes arrived today.
The nice packaging gave me the feeling I got some big power triodes.
No schematic inside but I understand the reason.

Francis
Old 13th May 2014, 02:16 PM   #704
meanman1964 is offline meanman1964  Belgium
diyAudio Member

I've two heatsinks of 20cm x 8 cm each.So one module per sink are those big enough?
Old 13th May 2014, 05:34 PM   #705
Theodosis O. is offline Theodosis O.  Greece
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes75 View Post
Haha, I didn't wanted to be impatient, but I had to restrain myself to ask the same question....
So....how was your weekend with the FO?

... Maybe he is waiting the SMPS3k to come
Old 13th May 2014, 07:03 PM   #706
Xerxes75 is offline Xerxes75  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodosis O. View Post
... Maybe he is waiting the SMPS3k to come
In that case I am even more curious......
Old 14th May 2014, 12:20 AM   #707
Lazy Cat is offline Lazy Cat  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYRTT View Post
Great pictures LC, lot of fuel and horsepower in middle of box to get speaker coils on job .................
This much of power has a lot of juice, so far all the coils says

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinnocchio View Post
Hi LC,

Are you going to replace those Samwha caps from your SMPS1200A400? If you saw a big jump in SQ with Connex PSUs using different caps, I'm pretty sure you'd have the same effects here?

Thanks
Do
Of course there's still some room for an improvement, better caps are preferred always. Mundorfs on First One modules are there for a reason - to compensate such anomalies in a great portion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxidcx View Post
Hi, LC, qestion about 0V (zero volt) and GND/Chassis and earth.
Do you still recomend to have the 0V of the 2 SMPS linked to the chassis in a single point (seems there are 3 black wires on a screw close to the AC outlet on the picture) ?
Did you design the FO PCB to force a 0V connection by the screws of the tranis to the heatsink , like in VSSA ? (seems not on the picture )
and finally, why not having a loop breaking circuit with diodes+R+C like described in ESP Earthing (Grounding) Your Hi-Fi - Tricks and Techniques
thanks
Yes, one single reference GND/Earth chassis point is mandatory. No direct GND connection from First One PCB to the heatsink is present, no GND loops possible. Still First One has a clever solution implemented so it is completely safe to experiment with powered First One bolted to the heatsink and still outside the chassis. It won't oscillate or be unstable in any way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taccodude View Post
So,how about Your listening Impressions on the Weekend, LC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes75 View Post
Haha, I didn't wanted to be impatient, but I had to restrain myself to ask the same question....
So....how was your weekend with the FO?
Please read my next post about SMPS and grounding.
Old 14th May 2014, 01:10 AM   #708
Esperado is offline Esperado  France
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxidcx View Post
why not having a loop breaking circuit with diodes+R+C like described in ESP Earthing (Grounding) Your Hi-Fi - Tricks and Techniques
Oh, what a bad idea with SMPS ;-)
Old 14th May 2014, 01:57 AM   #709
Lazy Cat is offline Lazy Cat  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

Lightbulb SMPS recommendation - final

Hi GB members

Little bit late on presenting the answer to the people invested in the First One, but with a good reason not to hurry too much on such crucial and important information about powering the amplifier.

Well, one single planned listening session unintentionally extended and prolonged from the weekend way till today as we got some firm conclusions, unanimous consensus among all present.

Two First One amplifiers, one with single SMPS1200A400, the other with dual SMPS1200A400, present. The source was Naim SuperUniti, speakers Thiel CS2.4, cabling multi UTP twisted pairs.

As usual both amps were preheated, each runing on music programme for a good hour before we compared them on five test tracks, volume leveled for each track on both sessions.

The result is not so far from our expectations, tight similarity with very slight differences noticable on momentary A-B test, otherwise, on not so closely conducted comparisons, it would be very hard or even impossible to recognize among them.

In which cases to choose single or double SMPS solution greatly depends on speaker's efficiency and impedance, these two parameters dictating how power hungry your speakers are and of course how loud you want them to be.

The ultimate and preferred First One solution is still dual mono configuration, although single SMPS completely fulfills the needs in a smaller system.

Great care has to be paid to properly conducted wiring, especially grounding as proposed in the manual. Slightly changed and optimized in chassis GND sch will be published together with DC sense circuit here soon.

Regards L.C.
Old 14th May 2014, 05:33 AM   #710
taccodude is offline taccodude  Germany
diyAudio Member

Hi LC,You think there gona be a Spezial Price for SMPS from Hypex or who to Contact direct?

First One - mosfet amplifier moduleHide this!Advertise here!