Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Vendor's Bazaar Commercial Vendors large & small hawking their wares

First One - mosfet amplifier module
First One - mosfet amplifier module
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th February 2020, 07:54 PM   #4601
stretchneck is offline stretchneck  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Appologies for the poor quality diagram - is this floating ground a good means of grounding the Mosfet module and it's associated cap banks? Obviously there is still a safety earth to the chassis from the IEC inlet.

I have zero experience in grounding!
Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot 2020-02-10 at 20.52.08.png (171.4 KB, 627 views)
Old 16th February 2020, 01:02 PM   #4602
joztom is offline joztom  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

This is not enough strong switch. You have to look starting via relay or stronger push button, about 22mm and 10A, which will be capable to get first start with about 10A. And also, 5A is theory only.
Second question is, why you need such high voltage for quality power amp with 26x amplifying, so, with 2v input you need +-26V netto and +- 50V with full headroom. There are no small signal transistor in driver to cover these nut voltage without any good reason.
Old 18th February 2020, 12:23 PM   #4603
maxlorenz is offline maxlorenz  Chile
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretchneck View Post
Appologies for the poor quality diagram - is this floating ground a good means of grounding the Mosfet module and it's associated cap banks? Obviously there is still a safety earth to the chassis from the IEC inlet.

I have zero experience in grounding!
I don't understand your wiring...how the current will return from the modules to the PSU?

Best wishes,
M.
Old 23rd February 2020, 07:02 AM   #4604
diyAudio Member

I'm not supprised this didn't make sense to people - I didn't know what I was doing, hence the question. Anyhow, I now understand a bit better. Whilst signal ground can be floating, the amplifier ground cannot because ground needs to be returned to the power supply for it to start.

Guy on Facebook gave me this better layout, which includes the ground return to the amplifier. I will also do the mandatory safetly ground to the chassis at the IEC inlet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 84057176_10218663157563424_1893332471542448128_n.jpg (44.1 KB, 459 views)
Old 23rd February 2020, 02:07 PM   #4605
maxlorenz is offline maxlorenz  Chile
diyAudio Member

I apologize. I was not very extensive on the reply and was not of much help, save to increase uncertainty. The amp needs a "0V" stable reference plus the speakers return current needs a path...from my limited understanding.

Anyway, the experts want us to do our due diligence, our homework, so it is a good time for us to revisit the all-important grounding philosophy.

Best wishes of success,
M.
Old 5th April 2020, 01:55 PM   #4606
diyAudio Member

Build is progressing, one channel connected - but no sound...

Relay on the Hypex soft start clicks and powers the push button switch, but I am unsure if the Hypex SMPS is powering up. No voltage measured between First One + in and GND. I have disabled the push button switch to ensure that this wasn’t causing issue.

Any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EA1A248C-FFDF-4691-805C-5E67F31D6270.jpg (1,011.8 KB, 302 views)
Old 17th April 2020, 09:14 AM   #4607
Darkheart is offline Darkheart  Latvia
diyAudio Member

Has someone here spare M modules for sale (new or used)? I would like to upgrade my amps from v1.2. I will pay the full price of new modules + shipping to Latvia. I need 2-3 pairs total.
Old 19th April 2020, 02:26 PM   #4608
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Relay on the Hypex soft start clicks and powers the push button switch, but I am unsure if the Hypex SMPS is powering up. No voltage measured between First One + in and GND. I have disabled the push button switch to ensure that this wasn’t causing issue.

Any ideas?
My power supply was faulty - exchanges for a new Hypex and we have sound!

Push Buttons - 1NO1NC type as per below.

Anodized Aluminium Push Button with Power Symbol Blue Light 1NO1NC 250V 5A O19mm Black - Audiophonics

Working fine to switch Hypex SoftStart module, but the LED light is always on. How can I wire it so that the LED light only comes on when power is being supplied?

Or do I need a different type of switch 2NO2NC?
Old 19th April 2020, 02:27 PM   #4609
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Any ideas?
My power supply was faulty - exchanged for a new Hypex and we have sound!

Anodized Aluminium Push Button with Power Symbol Blue Light 1NO1NC 250V 5A O19mm Black - Audiophonics

Working fine to switch Hypex SoftStart module, but the LED light is always on. How can I wire it so that the LED light only comes on when power is being supplied?

Old 19th April 2020, 02:33 PM   #4610
J.M.K is offline J.M.K  France
diyAudio Member

Quote:
My power supply was faulty - exchanged for a new Hypex and we have sound!

Be careful, this power button is NOT strong enough, it's going to fry sooner or later (happened to me). I'd suggest this one (working for 2 years or more):

2 Pole 2 Positions Aviation Type Toggle Switch ON-ON 250V 15A - Audiophonics

And have a separate led below or above.

JM

First One - mosfet amplifier moduleHide this!Advertise here!