• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

First One - mosFET amplifier module

Just tried different Wires for Speaker and Interlink,no differnece,even when I unhook the Source ,the Noise from the Tweeter is there.Then I changed to conventionell PSU (60V) and the Noise is gone. Is there something wrong with SMPS or can I try something else ? If SMPS is not ok ,that would be second Time ,Hypex is too expensive for that.

@taccodude

Are you using one SMPS for both channels?

Did you try to power 1 module and test?
Test both modules separately and report result.

The noise is always there, while the amplifier is ON? or only when shutting down the power?

taccodude do you have an oscilloscope to observe AC conditions on the rails and on the output of the amp? Is it HF hiss or 100 Hz transient peaks on tweeter present also with inputs shorted with wire? With linear PSU complete silence? Over the years I learned that I had less problem with SMPS than conventional PSU.

Noise......

The Noise from the Tweeter is always present ,you can hear it 5 Meters away .When shutdown is a different one.

A noise from the amplifier when you shutdown the SMPS is 100% amplifier related, that's because the voltage will drop very quickly and the amplifier will get affected by that.

A continuous HF noise could be from anything, I would suggest that you test with different amplifier to spot out the problem.

* Also you didn't answer my previous questions..

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Today I tested each Channel separat and moved SMPS in the Middle and than out of the box ,but it doesn`t matter.
Noise is alwas present.It gets more with DAC/Pre hooked up. Maybe I should put some tiny Wire on FO so that I can measure safe.Is that a good way to do it ?

Last edited:
Last Night I found the Problem ,I tried a lot and found out that FO with SMPS doesn`t like a Main Filter in Front. Every other Gear I got ,has no Problem with it,tried every Combination .Is that Normal ? I mean,I`m happy that I found it,but with the Filter in Front it sounds better ,even with that Noise.

taco,you always could use a pics nose at the power inlet and use a ferrite core at the DC output.

Attachments

• Pics Nose.JPG
    Pics Nose.JPG
    276.8 KB · Views: 545
  • balun-choke-clamp-on.jpg
    balun-choke-clamp-on.jpg
    581.1 KB · Views: 546
Last edited:
Hi,

If my memory serves me well, I believe I read somewhere this SMPS should not be used with a mains filter. Sadly, quickly browsed through the docs and couldn't find it, but was very quick... Worth an eye perhaps?

What you can find though is that this SMPS "seems" to already incorporate mains filter, following to the block shematic found in its datasheet page 2. Perhaps you have 2 mains filters having odd effects against each other, although I perfectly understand it shouldn't really (unless silly values) if they are say purely passive... But then they aren't perhaps?

I also understand your set up sounds better with mains filter, despite the prob you described. I like good mains filters aswell. I wonder if that better sound is due to your additional mains filter being "really" in front of the SMPS / amp section. It sounds unlikely to me given the high frequencies of the SMPS. I mean, given many filters are both ways, is the better sound really coming from filtering IN, or rather to the fact you are filtering high frequencies OUT of the SMPS/amp and cleaning mains for other devices?

Would you better sound be identical by putting your filters in front of all the other music playing components and leave the amp alone? That could help you having the best of both worlds : better sound without the problem, although I understand it would involve quite a bit more mains filters but then if you have one you can play with you could, as a start try it in front of several music playing devices to find the most benefical location.

Good luck

Claude

Last edited:
No clue about other SMPS sadly.

I couldn't find anything in their datasheet, but as I am following this thread and the one on Hypex amps since ages, I am quite sure somewhere, among the numerous pages, it has been made mention that mains filter could be detrimental. That rang a bell back then... As I use filters aswell.

Can't find it though and there are so many posts on both threads.

However, given the way the SMPS works (pumping fast?), it "could" make some sense that some device altering the current delivery / response speed at the input of the SMPS could possibly interfer.

I guess this filter bit is case by case and perhaps you are better off taking it out from the amp's input (as obviously it disturbs it) and just try to put it in front of your pre or source to see if you get a "better" sound again without troubling the amp's function.

MFG

Claude