• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

"The Wire" Official Boards for All Projects Available Here! BAL-BAL, SE-SE, LPUHP

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Guys,

Looks like I haven't been getting update notices from this thread, so I'm a little behind!

Quick update:

The boards were delayed a little bit due to a CAM hold, but they have officially shipped, and should be in my hands next week!!!

My apologies to everyone for the many delays, but I can promise that the end is now near :)

I will send out payment requests as soon as I have built up one of each board to make sure all is well.

Q&A:

Hi Owen,
is there any news about DCX2496 upgrade boards? Really interested in good ASRC AES/EBU dig in, analog output mod and PSU. Can't wait :)
Thanks!

This is on hold for now, but I will be coming back to it. It's just a little lower on the priority list than a few other things at the moment :)

I do appreciate the interest though, and I will probably finish this up over this winter.

If these are still going I've added my order to the spreadsheet.

I assume opc contacts with how to send monies?

They are indeed still a go, and you are correct, add your name to the list and I should have payment requests out in about 2 weeks from today.

Thank you for the update.
Is it safe to assume that the BOM's listed on the first pages are correct?

The BOM will remain the same for:

BAL-BAL
SE-SE
Power Amp
NTD1* - I will be posting a major design update for this in the NTD1 thread. Please read it before ordering!

The BOM will be changing for:

PSU (entirely different BOM, I will post it after testing)
LPUHP (mostly the same except for the regulators and associated parts)

Is it too late to get in on the order?

Nope! It's never too late. I ordered a lot of extra for each board, so just keep populating the list if you're interested!

Owen, did you by chance order any BAL-SE boards?

Thank you so much for the time that you put into this!

Unfortunately, these were not very popular overall, so they were not included with this round. I would suggest if you really need this arrangement, you can look at the LPUHP which essentially shares the same front end as the BAL-SE, but has more output devices. You can always just populate a pair of them and then you basically have monoblock BAL-SE headphone amps.

Any update on completed amps?

The final production boards were included along with this order, so very very soon. Website is in the works, and some final mechanical items are all that remain!

Anyone else with various questions about how to order, or if it's too late to order, please see post 1 of this thread, and I will make it clear in post 1 if I run out of anything or if I close the ordering. As of right now, I will have plenty of boards on hand to fill all outstanding orders, and many more.

Cheers,
Owen

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Great news, glad everything is starting to come together now. Really can't wait to get my hands on the new LPUHP boards :)

Me too! It's the one board I'm most excited to build, test and listen to!

I'll get the board and part outlines up tonight, so people will have some idea of what is needed on the chassis side.

The new heatsinking arrangement on the LPUHP is a huge bonus, and makes it much easier to keep the devices cool, and to mount the heatsink.

Cheers,
Owen

Me too! It's the one board I'm most excited to build, test and listen to!

I'll get the board and part outlines up tonight, so people will have some idea of what is needed on the chassis side.

The new heatsinking arrangement on the LPUHP is a huge bonus, and makes it much easier to keep the devices cool, and to mount the heatsink.

Cheers,
Owen

Hi Owen,

Iam new to this thread, but would like to build a SE-SE. are they still available. Iam not able to make out the status now - so this question.
Please let me know if its ok to add to your excel..

Rgds
Vinod

Hi Owen,

Iam new to this thread, but would like to build a SE-SE. are they still available. Iam not able to make out the status now - so this question.
Please let me know if its ok to add to your excel..

Rgds
Vinod

See Post #90 posted less than 24 hours earlier (my edit in bold):

Anyone else with various questions about how to order, or if it's too late to order, please see post 1 of this thread, and I will make it clear in post 1 if I run out of anything or if I close the ordering. As of right now, I will have plenty of boards on hand to fill all outstanding orders, and many more.

Cheers,
Owen

Unfortunately, these were not very popular overall, so they were not included with this round. I would suggest if you really need this arrangement, you can look at the LPUHP which essentially shares the same front end as the BAL-SE, but has more output devices. You can always just populate a pair of them and then you basically have monoblock BAL-SE headphone amps.
Added a LPUHP to my order :).

One more question, are the schematics found on the wiki still correct and up-to-date? Noticed that you last updated almost two years ago.

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Added a LPUHP to my order :).

One more question, are the schematics found on the wiki still correct and up-to-date? Noticed that you last updated almost two years ago.

For the most part, yes... the SE-SE, BAL-BAL and Power Amp will be identical.

The LPUHP will mostly be the same, but the regulator section has been upgraded and now uses LT regulators.

The PSU has also been upgraded to use TI TPS7A3301 regulators for both rails.

I will post updated schematics as I build up test boards so I can be certain of final values.

Cheers,
Owen

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Guys,

As a quick update, the NTD1 boards arrived yesterday, but there was a shipping mix up and the main panels with all the other boards won't be here until the end of this week.

I will be sending out payment requests early next week as I should have all boards built and verified over this weekend.

I again apologize for the delays, I ordered the boards from a different supplier than I usually do, and things haven't been as smooth as I was hoping for :no:

Q&A:

Order placed.

I'm assuming you are no longer shipping out the old PSU boards. Has the schematic changed much?

Correct... it will all be the new and improved boards from now on. There is a marginal price increase as the regulators cost more than the standard LM317/337 used to, but the added performance certainly justifies the relatively small price increase. If people work together and organize decent group buys for parts, the cost of the regs is really only about $5 more per board.

Add 2 x PSU PCB's to my order ... still looking at doing some form of digital/USB to EQ to DAC setup and am sure a few good PSU's will come in handy :)

Paul

Indeed they are! Fully adjustable from +/-1.4V to +/-36V with only a resistor change, and good for up 1A of current if you're not dropping too much voltage. The dropout voltage is also much better than the old LM regs, so people can run slightly lower input rails for a give output voltage.

Add to that the extremely low noise and very good PSRR and it will make a great general purpose supply!

Cheers,
Owen