• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

"The Wire" Official Boards for All Projects Available Here! BAL-BAL, SE-SE, LPUHP

@ Emphryrgian: well i've just spat out the gerber for the 4700/3301 power supply to go with the last lot of NTD1, which will sit between the current power supply and the NTD1, which should make for even lower noise than the 3301 alone. I have also added common mode filtering, alternatively it can be used with the bridge/filter PCB i'm doing for a more compact build. so I guess its up to you, but I dont feel you would be missing out.

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Gentlemen,

I was away at the Montreal Grand Prix this weekend so I didn't have time to answer the many questions on here.

Here they are (hopefully I didn't miss anything):

Is there any chance you will be making a upgrade board for a DEQ2496 as well? Or will the DCX2496 board work in it?

No... it will only really work in the DCX2496.

I also own and use the DEQ2496, but I only use it in the digital domain where its shortcomings on the analog side can be bypassed. It can benefit from a better clock and a few other tweaks, but mostly it's fairly transparent as-is provided you stay in the digital domain.

I might tackle it some day, but it's not currently on the long or short list :)

Would these have enough grunt to power some passive satellite speakers in a surround sound system, say something like a ScanSpeak 29xx tweeter and a 18Wxx? Being surround they wouldn't need to be massively powerful.

Surround movies... probably, surround music... maybe not.

It all depends on how much output you want, your speaker sensitivity, and your room size, so it's hard to say for sure. It would be best to run some tests similar to what's outlined here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...much-voltage-power-do-your-speakers-need.html

That should give you an idea of what you need.

Very nice Owen! Can't wait to see those upgraded PSUs.

Although, this does beg the question whether I should bother populating my NTD1 board or just wait for the upgraded PCB and buy that. Hmm...

I would say that there is not really any need to get the new one. If you really want, you can upgrade your exisiting V2 or V1 board with qusp's supply board or my discrete LM - TPS boards. Upgrading the PSU section is easy to do later without making a mess of the board.

Based on the level of interest in the NTD1 boards it could be a while before I go through with that order. It's a 2 layer board so it cannot be panelized with the others, and there's nowhere near enough interest to place an order for even 50 pcs.

Will they be available as a kit in the foreseeable future ?

In all likelihood, these will only ever be offered as boards with a complete BOM where you can order your own parts.

Here's the reasoning:

1. The boards are meant to be DIY, and to encourage people to source and build their own stuff. They are not meant to be "lower cost alternatives" to completed products (which I will be offering shortly).

2. It's a serious PITA to stock all the parts for kits, and to pack/prep the kits. It also usually means shipping in parcels instead of lettermail, which gets very expensive for international buyers.

3. If I charged people for the time it took me to order the parts, prep the kits and ship everything out, nobody would buy the parts kits anyhow since they would be way too expensive.

4. I want to leave the option open for people to organize their own group buys and really leverage the DIY spirit to get prices down as low as possible. The parts for these amps can be had much cheaper if your order quantities are in the hundreds or thousands of pieces.

Hi Owen,
Will you supply them as a kit again?
Thanks

See above :)

Not the right thread, but can you give some kind of sneak preview of the DCX upgrade stuff please :angel:

Regards

I'll give you a quick summary here, but I will also start up a separate thread on this to provide info, and get feedback from people on what they want.

Here's a quick overview:

- Entire analog section replaced with a single OPA1632 per channel
- 40kHz HPF can be stuffed or left DNP
- Mute functionality maintained through OPA1632 S/D pin
- Entire PSU replaced with linear supplies all based on TPS7A3301.
- Separate analog and digital XFMRs
- New clocks
- Shunt supplies for new clocks
- Dedicated AES/EBU input on input C - direct to ASRC

Items still in limbo:

- ASRC upgrade (requires taps off digital board)
- Optical Digital Input in place of LINK Ethernet port
- USB input in place of LINK Ethernet port based on some existing USB-SPDIF solution (eg. Lorien's)

I'll open up a dedicated thread for this tonight and I'll take feedback there.

Cheers,
Owen

Hi Gentlemen,

I was away at the Montreal Grand Prix this weekend so I didn't have time to answer the many questions on here.

:up:

Canadian GP is amongst the worst time zone for this Aussie F1 fan, didn't stop me watching though!

Very sad to hear of the marshal's passing. The officials/marshalls at sporting events have an utterly thankless job as it is, an accident like that ...

Surround movies... probably, surround music... maybe not.

It all depends on how much output you want, your speaker sensitivity, and your room size, so it's hard to say for sure. It would be best to run some tests similar to what's outlined here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...much-voltage-power-do-your-speakers-need.html

Another thing for SS to note is that it depends on the impedance of the speaker too. If it's an 8ohm speaker, maybe, if it's a 4ohm speaker, maybe not. This was discussed in the LPUHP thread, into 4ohm you're probably looking at more like 8W RMS from the 8buffers, though the buffers do have some short-term high output capacity I wouldn't want to be relying on that.

Knowing the amp that he has for his subs is an utter monster pro amp driving 18in LMS-ultra and that he is planning a dedicated room, I wouldn't recommend the LPUHP for powering his passive surround speakers. That isn't what the LPUHP was designed for IMO. It's worth keeping my perspective in mind when you read that though, I am coming from an angle where I'm putting the LPUHP on a 110dB/1W1m 8ohm compression driver and thinking that it is 'adequate'. Like Owen said, really depends on application!

well hes just made it quite clear its not going to happen and explained why. people who want this handed to them as a kit, should get off their ***** and organise a group buy, instead of relying on someone else to do it for you.

its not worth the trouble as a money making opportunity, its essentially charity, its far too time consuming and hes had enough of that. having been involved in running several myself, I completely understand.

Last edited:
qusp and Owen have said it already, for kit service, there is something like 2 hours of time minimum in ordering, sorting, packing the kits and additional packing materials. Could very easily be more than 2 hours. Owen might enjoy doing other things with his time, so, if I was in Owen's shoes the price I'd want to charge you for my time, you might find the shipping price quite good value ;)

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Guys,

First and foremost, I'd like to thank everyone for all the interest, and for signing up on the list! It has given me a great cross-section of how many of each board to order, and what the general numbers are in terms of total boards.

Since we're coming up on the 2 week mark, I'm going to get the boards compiled and start posting further details on each of them here.

I probably won't be posting the layout layer by layer as I have done in the past, but I will be posting the silk layers for top and bottom, along with sizing and eventually a BOM. The schematics will be posted so everyone knows what they need, and to make for easy troubleshooting.

Keep an eye here for updates, and I hope to have all the boards ready to order for the end of this week.

Cheers,
Owen

Owen, I am new to the project and picking my way through the thread as I write. I have signed for 2 LM49830 PCB's but wondered what the PSU in the GB list is for, is this for the LM boards?

I only ask as there is an SMPS supply design in the thread but couldn't see if it went to production.

Thanks.

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Owen, I am new to the project and picking my way through the thread as I write. I have signed for 2 LM49830 PCB's but wondered what the PSU in the GB list is for, is this for the LM boards?

I only ask as there is an SMPS supply design in the thread but couldn't see if it went to production.

Thanks.

Hi passive420,

The PSU board being offered here is only really intended for the headphone amps, and not for the power amp. If you plan on running the voltage rails at very low levels for the amp (perhaps a lower power class A design) then it certainly could be used to power the LME section only, but the +/- 33V rail limitation of the TPS regulators will limit your output power.

Most people opted for simple unregulated linear supply for the entire amp, or one of the SMPS designs from Audiopower mentioned in the thread. The supply options are discussed at length in the thread proper.

Regards,
Owen