• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

USB to I2S 384Khz - DSD Converter

Shamelessly linking to HiFiDuino:

amanero-bii.jpg

I have a Denon 3910 that I modded to export I2S/DSD to my DAC. Same issue, I2S and DSD share but R and L channel are reversed with DSD. I used a Twisted Pear OTTO II (2:1 switch) to get the DSD channels correct. A mechanical switch on back of the Denon chooses which signal to export. A TP Teleporter transmits to the DAC.

I'll most likely use an OTTO II inside my B III DAC when I get my Amanero.

Attachments

• otto_close.jpg
    otto_close.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 724
  • otto.jpg
    otto.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 665
Is correct, but when play DSD, the channels are swapped over PCM.

My solution is to swap PCM channels in the player. I use Foobar, and is not posible software swap for DSD channels.

Really? I had a suspicion but couldn't tell since one of the amps in my setup is out of commission and was listening with one channel. Seems the way PCM channels and DSD channels are configured are "standard". Perhaps, Amanero can add the option of swapping DSD channels in firmware.

qusp said,
"the point is, when dealing with high frequencies, each signal needs its own return close to it as possible, or it radiates HF noise.... fact, its got nothing to do with just making sure the devices have a ground connection between them. thats why each of the signals in the ethernet cable and each of the signals on the PCB have a return/ground to go with them.

at these high frequencies, the air presents a low impedance (thats why radio signals can travel for billions of KM through air and space), it doesnt really care that much if it has a cable to travel on or not, if it doesnt have a nearby wire to travel on, it'll just go its own way through the air to the nearest point (of its choosing) if need be.

it is not OK to run a single ground, I dont care what Amanero says (if he does indeed say that, that would be strange considering hes given a return per signal on the PCB as there should be) it will work that way, but its not how it should be done."

Thanks for explaining that connection. I was getting a random snap like noise that I didnt get when using the tereadac usb device. I rewired the Amanero with about 25mm of cat5 solid wire twisted tight and the noise is gone. I get very few dropouts now and the Buffalo III is set at the lowest(best jitter) settings. I am still using the usb for power but that will change soon. Thanks for taking the time to explain this connect and being truly helpful in your responses. It is hard to be helpful sometimes when everyone "knows" best.

Very good information. Thank you.

For my high speed buffer (3.3V to 5V) I use the NC7SZ125. My I2S connections from the Amanero to the buffer are no more than 4 cm. The same for buffer to DAC board. i currently use a single I2S ground wire. To utilize separate "twisted" signal/ground connections, I'll need to increase the I2S wire length. Is it worth it?

Also...does the 5V signal from the buffer to the DAC board need separate signal/grounds as well?

Also

I presume you want me to answer? the post is mine quoted by bikerboy. it doesnt have to be twisted, although its preferred, it just needs to have a ground for every signal. simple answer is yes you should, the short connections are meaningless in relation to this problem. you could also use mini 50ohms coax instead of twisted pair

Really? I had a suspicion but couldn't tell since one of the amps in my setup is out of commission and was listening with one channel. Seems the way PCM channels and DSD channels are configured are "standard". Perhaps, Amanero can add the option of swapping DSD channels in firmware.

Yes, it´s really. Direct connexion Amanero-Buffalo swap DSD channels over PCM. In other hand of things, I modified your Hifiduino code. Now, when detect DSD signal, automatically change to specific input in order to load correct configuration. Also, if the selected input is DSD, and PCM signal is detected, automatically switches to the correct input.

Regards

Is correct, but when play DSD, the channels are swapped over PCM.

My solution is to swap PCM channels in the player. I use Foobar, and is not posible software swap for DSD channels.

I used a PCM left/right track and converted to DSD with the foobar sacd plug-in and was able to swap the channels with the "custom channel mapping"

I used a PCM left/right track and converted to DSD with the foobar sacd plug-in and was able to swap the channels with the "custom channel mapping"

I tried swap DSD channles of the foo-dsd-asio in Asio Virtual Device Editor but don´t work. Changes no take effect.

This is the reason to swap PCM channels. And of course, swap RCA or XLR audio connectors.

Last edited:
I am using amanero to signal with I2S a sabre 9018 board. I succesfully installed the latest firmware using Jesper.
Some strange things noticed though when auditioning with Foobar 2000.

1. When in kernel streaming on 32bit channels (menaning L,R audio channels)are inverted!! switch to 24 bit.. channels ok!

2.When in wasapi (event or pushed mode either) the opposite applies; 32bit channels ok... 24bit channels inverted!!!

3.Also when in Kernel Streaming (which generally speaking I prefer) after the first playback the driver option dissapears from foobar/output settings even though the device is playing as normal. Amanero KS dissapears from the selection panel to appear again only when OS is restarted!!

Anyone else noticed something like this?

I unistalled - reinstalled several times the device. Always the same...

I managed to get correct channel distribution straight with absolutely no mods when using ASIO4ALL though.
That tells me there could be a problem with Amanero win7 drivers.

Any thoughts?

And another question; has anyone tried to signal a 7.1 adjusted sabre using Amanero for multichannel use?