• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

USB to I2S 384Khz - DSD Converter

Thanks for the suggestions!
I have flashed the latest firmware.
I have done a fresh install on another PC.
I have tried different music players, WASAPI/KS/DS/ASIO, and still nothing - the player either becomes unresponsive, or "plays" the entire song in 2 seconds.

I will try to contact the guys at Amanero Tech... :(

I have experienced a problem like yours: the same behavior with songs played very quickly. It turned out to be a bad soldering on one of the two crystal oscillators. Since you have an oscilloscope, try to check the oscillator outputs on the PCB after the "possibly" bad joint.

I have experienced a problem like yours: the same behavior with songs played very quickly. It turned out to be a bad soldering on one of the two crystal oscillators. Since you have an oscilloscope, try to check the oscillator outputs on the PCB after the "possibly" bad joint.

Congrats, you've nailed it. While I was probing around with the scope, one of the crystals fell right off the board! :(

Attachments

• amanero.jpg
    amanero.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 841
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi, anybody can help me? I do not have an oscilloscope now to see what the signals at the output. When playback of DSD pin MCLK is active? and if not, how can I get master clock for DSD. My DAC chip needs master clock signal for PCM and DSD.
Thanks.

Hi ... try to see the table - on p.2 I think it is - in the attached document from Amanero. It describes what the individual pins are used for. Depending on your DAC's requirements you may need some way of shifting the Amanero's output to the right pins on the DAC.

Best regards,

Jesper

Attachments

• combo384_preliminary datasheet.pdf
    344.6 KB · Views: 205
Hi ... try to see the table - on p.2 I think it is - in the attached document from Amanero. It describes what the individual pins are used for. Depending on your DAC's requirements you may need some way of shifting the Amanero's output to the right pins on the DAC.

Best regards,

Jesper

Thank You, i saw that document, and in that not write work MCLK in DSD mode or not. And when i try connect to my DAC, PCM work good, but DSD not work. Because that i ask my question. Not have now any way to check data pins... I check all digital signal pins and all ok, but know what some dac chips not use MCLK in DSD and maybe Amanero USB not use it too...

Hi, I recently upgraded my PC to windows 8.1 (64 bit) and wanted to install over the amanero card;
Installed the newest driver from amanero site (compatible for both x32 and x64) but all I see in device manager is this and also in Control Panel - Sounds , I can see selectable only the digital output of the amanero card;

I remeber that on my old Win 7 PC I could see something like "combo384" in device manager and could also select other output than only Digital out; it has the last firmware and remember it worked well on the old setup.

anyone could maybe share an insight on this? am I doing something wrong? thanks

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I would have done so. I do not know if they have protection on sam3u usb what would happen if there usb activity, and the power of sam3u is off.

Hi ... I think the 1 kohm would cause the Amanero to not work properly ... Earlier in this thread (can't remember where) it said that the Amanero's max current draw is about 100-120 mA and with a 1kohm resistor that will give a ~100 VDC voltage drop.

What I'm currently doing is making a PSU which detects when there's a 5VDC coming in from the USB connection: That is when the USB is connected it switches on the power to the Amanero whereas when the USB is not connected there's no power to the Amanero (circuitry shown in the attached schematic). Please note that this circuitry "is in the mold" and has not yet been tested - I reckon that when testing it in practice some of the resistor values might need changing.

I wonder though if the Amanero would be fine with always being powered up - even if there's no USB data coming in ... Any of the Combo384 users who have experience with this? Would make PSU design just a little bit easier ...

Cheers,

Jesper

Attachments

• 3VDC45_passiv_amanero.pdf
    11.8 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
I installed Windows Server 2012 on my music PC a few days ago.

From what I understand, windows 8 drivers should work with Server 2012.

So I installed the latest Amanero asio drivers on the pc, and plugged in my dac.

It makes music, but the volume is VERY low, I have to turn my volume knob way up to hear anything.

This happens with foobar and with windows systems sounds, so I think it will happen with any application.
Happens with Flac and DSD files also.

So I tried my ifiaudio idac and that sounds great, I get the expected volume out of it.

Any ideas?

I played with all the windows settings that I could get to, and have searched here and on the internet for any ideas, but I'm stumped now, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Randy

So, here are my findings...

Here you can compare the I2S set on 16 bit and it has 16 rising edges in one frame. In 24 bit setting there are 32 rising edge in one frame. The strange thing is that I cannot figure the 8 trailing zero mentioned before. The data packet seems more than 24 bit... :confused:

Software is CPLD and CPU 1080.

Attachments

• 16bit.jpg
    16bit.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 607
  • 24bit.jpg
    24bit.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 478