• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Universal filament regulator

I have decided to make fully assembled and tested Universal Filament Regulator Modules available for purchase. This should help out those who prefer to not deal with the soldering of SMD components.

I maintain a small stock of components for the most commonly used tube types: 2A3, 300B, 26, 4P1L, 801A, and various 6.3 V tubes. I'll add a few others to the list as I complete those options. I'm open to custom configurations as well.

The modules are assembled by hand and tested before they're shipped.

You can find the assembled modules on my website: Neurochrome.com : : Audio : Universal Filament Regulator

~Tom

Attachments

• FILREG_R3p2_Modules.jpg
    FILREG_R3p2_Modules.jpg
    561.7 KB · Views: 844
  • FILREG_R3p2_Module.jpg
    FILREG_R3p2_Module.jpg
    495.1 KB · Views: 803
Good news - especially for international customers.

I am now able to offer more cost effective shipping. The shipping charges are calculated by weight, so cost will vary with the number and size of the boards ordered. The shipping rates for my boards start at:

USA: $5
Canada: $9
Rest of the world: $12

I use quality shipping materials. The envelopes I use are sturdy, well padded, and 100 % recyclable.

~Tom

Tower of Power

One of the advantages of this Universal Filament Regulator is the ability to pack a lot of regulators into a tight space. This stack of regulators will feed by 300B amp.

The spacing between boards is 15 mm (5/8"). The total height of this stack is 55 mm.

~Tom

Attachments

• TowerOfPower.jpg
    TowerOfPower.jpg
    332 KB · Views: 691
Regulated Current mode supply?

Hi Tom,
Does it pose any problem if I modify your regulator to regulate current mode like attached? This way I can easily change tha value of current setting resistor for starved filament operation. If you think that it is fine then which regulator is recommended to supply an 801A from the choice available in your store? Thank you.

Attachments

• LM22673 Filament Reg Mod.GIF
    LM22673 Filament Reg Mod.GIF
    3.7 KB · Views: 401
I haven't tried running it that way, but it seems worth a try. With Rev. 3.3 of the Filament Regulator you have access to the feedback pin through Pin 2 of the output connector.

Pardon the belated response here. Somehow the email notifications from this thread stopped coming so I didn't see your post until now.

Tom

The Universal Filament Regulator is now on sale. I have the following in stock:

- Unpopulated boards: 2
- 2.5 V @ 0-3 A (2A3): 2
- 5.0 V @ 0-3 A (300B): 6
- 6.3 V @ 0-3 A (various): 10

Once the current board stock has sold, I will retire the Universal Filament Regulator. It's had a good run. I will focus on my solid-state amplifiers for the future.

You can find the Universal Filament Regulator here: Universal Filament Regulator | Neurochrome :: Audio

Tom

I'm down to the last few of the Universal Filament Regulator:

5.0 V @ 0-3 A: Two left
6.3 V @ 0-3 A: Two left

I can convert from one to the other by swapping out a few resistors, so if you're in need of four 5.0 V or four 6.3 V, I can get you hooked up ... at least while I have four modules in stock.

Once these are gone, the Universal Filament Regulator will be retired. I intend to focus more strongly on my power amplifiers and support circuits going forward.

Thanks,

Tom

I received two filament regulators that he said he is having problem with. I traced the circuit to understand what they are. After the schematic is drawn, I can understand the circuit how that works. I would like to share it with our DIYer's so that you know what it is.

Sharing is great.

Sharing is great.

You're always welcome to share your own ideas and your own work. Sharing the intellectual property of others without their consent is illegal, however.

The Universal Filament Regulator has been discontinued. I suggest anyone interested in building a filament regulator to have a look at the LM22673 data sheet and application notes. Getting the schematic right is easy. You need to get the layout right as well. With an SMPS, you're dealing with some pretty hefty switching currents and large di/dt, thus, some areas of the PCB should be kept pretty tight together. All the necessary information is in the LM22673 data sheet.

Also, the number of SMPS ICs and modules has grown tremendously in the time since I designed the Universal Filament Regulator, so you might be able to find a solution that's easier to implement. The LMZ-series by TI is pretty awesome. One IC (module) with a few passives -> high-end power supply. I used the LMZ1200x-series in a previous incarnation of a 300B driver circuit. Worked great!

Tom

The Universal Filament Regulator is BAAACK!!! Now in Revision 5.0 and available from my website: https://neurochrome.com/products/universal-filament-regulator

FilReg_R5p0.jpg

The Universal Filament Regulator Rev. 5.0 features a brand new SMPS IC by Texas Instruments. It switches at 2.1 MHz – well outside the audio band. On top of that it uses dual, random spread spectrum clocking to ensure an ultra low noise floor. The output noise is only 1.7 mV RMS (800 kHz measurement bandwidth).

By default, the Regulator allows for the following output voltages selectable by a jumper: 1.5, 2.5, 5.0, and 6.3 V. It also has a custom option where the builder can add a resistor (1206-size SMD) and obtain any output voltage in the range of 1.5 to 12.6 V.

For 1.5 and 2.5 V output, the Regulator can provide up to 3.0 A of output current.
For the 5.0 and 6.3 V options, the maximum output current is 2.7 A.
For 12.6 V, the maximum output current is 2.4 A.
All of these were measured at 50 ºC ambient temperature. At room temperature you can plan on 3.0 A from the 5.0 and 6.3 V settings as well.

The Regulator takes an AC input voltage but can be operated from a DC voltage as well.

The Universal Filament Regulator Rev. 5.0 measures 76.5 x 45.0 x 24.0 mm and weighs in at 50 g.

Tom

Reactions: 1 users