• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Digital USB Sound Card isolation - Ground looping noise removal solution

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

We have made a solution for isolating the USB audio card from the PC - removing the ground loop noise, that you hear when attaching the 2-8 channels of line audios to your amplifier/receiver. It isolates the USB data and transfers power to the USB sound card through a transformer. All in a little USB stick that is put before the sound card.

The reason for making it was because I had the problem my self - SPDIF/Toslink only supporting 2 channels in commercial amplifiers and sound cards. So the only solution to get real 5.1 HD-DTS sound was to use a USB coundcard with 6 analog outputs at line level. Line level is 100mV (0.1V) and the way my amplifier works is it has 2 caps to ground from mains, resulting in 110V floating AC on the ground wire. The PC has grounding with a 3 plug. Common setup and common problem - 50Hz noise on the signal when amp is at 66% and sound signal is silent. Ground the amp. helped but the noise did not disapear. When using the USB2ISO - USB 2.0 Isolator - Isolated USB the noise is gone.

Furthermore both amp and PC are protected when connecting / disconnecting which could have been a problem.

Please note: This product is for fullspeed USB devices. Some high-end USB sound cards allready have a sort of isolation build in.

Have fun and hope that this can help other in the same situation, thanx.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.