• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Mr White's "Opus", designing a simple balanced DAC

Opus connection to amps (nCore)

Hi,

I'm building active loudspeakers using the Opus DACs to Hypex amp modules. From various forums I see people using this configuration without any output stages in between? Anyone built this combo? What's your suggestion, do I need e.g. IVY in between? I'm currently planning to use the NC502MP OEM module for the design, see the spec sheet from:
https://www.hypex.nl/img/upload/doc/ncore_mp/nc502mp/Documentation/NC502MP_02xx_03xx.pdf

Thanks in advance,
Timo

Hi,

I'm building active loudspeakers using the Opus DACs to Hypex amp modules. From various forums I see people using this configuration without any output stages in between?
The Opus (WM8741) is a kind of those DACs with voltage-output, requiring no I/V stage.

Anyone built this combo? What's your suggestion, do I need e.g. IVY in between?
The IVY-III from TPA has a header of voltage input to accept the Opus output. Previously I built this combination, mainly in order to reduce possible external noise to which the Opus alone may be more susceptible (of course very subtle, if any). Though inactive now, it sounded great.

Regards,

Hi,

I'm building active loudspeakers using the Opus DACs to Hypex amp modules. From various forums I see people using this configuration without any output stages in between? Anyone built this combo? What's your suggestion, do I need e.g. IVY in between? I'm currently planning to use the NC502MP OEM module for the design, see the spec sheet from:
https://www.hypex.nl/img/upload/doc/ncore_mp/nc502mp/Documentation/NC502MP_02xx_03xx.pdf

Thanks in advance,
Timo

I'm wondering the same with TPA3251 amps... Here is the input stage of mine, don't know how about impedances... :confused:

tpa3251entree.png
edit: forget the 10uF, as there are 22uF on the OPUS outs

Last edited:
A quick value judgment question. I'm currently planning to make a new PC/USB integrated headphone setup, with the Amenero feeding an Opus, that will then go to a Ventus EZ pair. I plan to power them primarily with a SilentSwitcher.

With the PSU right next to the boards, like under an inch of wire from its outputs to all power inputs, and given the Opus has fast local LDOs, is it worth it to split the Opus' DV+ and AV+ (I'd probably use a Reflektor-D on DV+, and the SilentSwitcher on AV+)?

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I'm looking for an affordable balanced DAC module but the WM8741 appears to be over a decade old. Is this technology still good?

I have wondered how the WM8741s would sound if we gave them the same re-clocked I2S signals and multiple clean power sources that sound so excellent with the ESS Pro DAC chips. Of course, that would entail adding significant expense.

Many of us have simply ‘moved on’ from the 8741. I formerly used Opus boards in mono mode without any buffering directly into balanced amps (via short interconnects) and really liked the results. So you can eliminate the I/V buffering stage. But other features of implementation (for any DAC chip) strongly influence the final results. The question of best value, especially when compared to using less costly ESS chips, is certainly a matter of personal opinion. I doubt you’ll get any definite answers there.

Newer doesn't mean always better

Hi there,

just my 2 cents.. I would suggest not to doubt great sound quality if you are happy with it. Of course, making the most of what you have available is, and remains, worthwhile! So if you want to re-clock and supply super-duper power: please do so, that is what diy is for great for ;) And not too costly at all!
The really great DAC chip-sets still shine. Remember the Burr Brown PCM 1704? It still has its fans, and NOT without reason (I for one, am still truly fond of my elderly Naim CDX). Today with "custom" high-end DACs programmed on Field-programmable gate arrays (FPGA) from manufacturers like Chord or Nagra, further advances in absolute best DAC sound quality have surfaced, I guess. Still, have no doubt, that the 'mature' WM 8741 is up there with the very, very best. Look up what prof. Molcolm Hawksford had to say about the venerable "Linn Klimax" (Hifi World, October 2007). In that product the WM8741 was coupled through transformers instead of through coupling capacitors. This is -of course- a great option with the Opus as well. Look for example at what Sowter suggests (e.g. 3603; there are -still- quite some more suppliers of signal transformers. Linn used one from Lundahl) If you can even approach that level of digital reproduction in a DIY project, be very, VERY happy and look no further :cool:

P.S. Those unhappy to leave 'very good' alone, can always bring their Thorens TD 125 (or comparable) in battle-ready shape again ;)

enjoy your music,
Mark

Opus 8740 Amanero wiring help...

Hi there,
I've spent a lot of time to connect Opus DAC and Amanero... no success !
Opus DAC module is WM8740, so, no DSD support as WM8741.
It seems that WM8740/Opus needs a Master Clock from an I2S connected device.

Opus IO are set according to TP common informations.
Amanero is the guenuine standard one.

Where did I go wrong or forget something ?
Amanero Pin -> Opus
3 - Data (DSD1) -> DIN
4 - CLK/DSD (CLK) -> BCK
5 - FSCLK (DSD2) -> SCK
8 - Gnd -> G

Thank you for your help and guidance.
Regards

Amanero Wiring.jpg

OPUS 8740 Wiring IO.jpg

Last edited:
That's much better with the Master Clock ;)
Thank you Brian for your wise help !

Balanced Opus sound's good using Amanero :

Amanero -> Opus WM8740 (look at post 1993 last pic for IO settings)
3 - DATA -> DIN
4 - BLCK -> BCK
5 - FSCLK -> LRCK
6 - MLCK -> SCK
8 - Gnd -> G

Thank you TP Brian for you support.
Regards

Last edited: