• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Static discharge on dac, bad sound results!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Two days ago, while the 9038Pro/Mercury was playing, I touched the volume control knob, volumite, and the playback went to the right channel only. Turning the control all the way counter clockwise gave some left/right playback. I killed power to the whole box, BBB/Hermes/Cronus/9038Pro/Mercury. Re powered and the vol/control functioned normally. This has happened before, static discharge when touching the dac box. So, I discharge my body by touching an unconnected preamp first, forgot this time.
Fired up the system today and thought, this just doesn't sound right/good! Kind of a distorted blurry sound, best I can describe it.
Switched in different amplifiers, no difference.

The clock on the dac board is un-powered, clock comes from the Cronus.

-ICHIBAN

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
When I first got my 9028Pro DACs working with I2C from the BBB instead of the onboard firmware, I noticed that some settings of the DAC were unstable with static discharges. (I live where static discharges are common in winter.) Fortunately, there was never any permanent damage to the DAC chips. If you use the onboard firmware, however, it is remotely possible that the firmware data was permanently altered by ESD. Perhaps order a new firmware chip from Brian?

Meanwhile, I notice that the new Buffalo DACs sound significantly better when warmed up compared to their sound at first power-on. This is regardless of whether controlled by the onboard firmware or I2C. I warm mine up for an hour or more before making technical adjustments.

Good luck and I hope all are staying safe and well as they enjoy their DIY projects.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks for the reply.:)

I may try a new firmware chip.
My Cronus and the DAC board are allways powered on.

The Hermes BeagleBB and Mercury are powered down

when not in use.

I had read somewhere that the clocks work better when

warmed up, so, allways powered.

When I first got my 9028Pro DACs working with I2C from the BBB instead of the onboard firmware, I noticed that some settings of the DAC were unstable with static discharges. (I live where static discharges are common in winter.)
=-=-=-=-=-= cut =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Meanwhile, I notice that the new Buffalo DACs sound significantly better when warmed up compared to their sound at first power-on. This is regardless of whether controlled by the onboard firmware or I2C. I warm mine up for an hour or more before making technical adjustments.

Good luck and I hope all are staying safe and well as they enjoy their DIY projects.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.