Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 9th August 2019, 05:10 PM   #1
sbelyo is offline sbelyo  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Has anyone used a separate PSU for the Amanero in their Buffalo setup

Has anyone used a separate PSU for the Amanero in their Buffalo setup? I'm always looking to tweak and wondered if anyone has done it and if there were any improvements.
Old 9th August 2019, 10:03 PM   #2
MartinC700 is offline MartinC700  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbelyo View Post
Has anyone used a separate PSU for the Amanero in their Buffalo setup? I'm always looking to tweak and wondered if anyone has done it and if there were any improvements.
I have, I cut the power track on the Amanero from the USB input and feed it from a separate supply. To be honest I made quite a few changes at the time so I can't say of that alone made any significant change. What was an improvement was adding a delay on the Amanero power on so that the Buffalo / Cronus boot up first before the Amanero. That prevents the Amanero using the timing from the USB input if its already active.
Old 18th September 2019, 08:28 PM   #3
stephen1212b is offline stephen1212b  United States
diyAudio Member

What? Are you saying that if the computer is on first, and powering the Amanero it defaults to the computer clock and then doesn't switch to the Cronus clock when that is powered on with the rest of the DAC? Or are you just wanting to avoid a possible noise when switching to the Cronus clock? I guess I never really thought about this but obviously since the Amanero is recognized by the computer even if the Cronus and DAC are off, it is either defaulting to using its built in clock or using the usb signal as clock. I don't see how the Cronus could work as a re-clocker if its local clock wasn't acting as the master for the Amanero.
Old 18th September 2019, 09:20 PM   #4
MartinC700 is offline MartinC700  United States
diyAudio Member

Its been a while since I made the mod and I don't recall all the details, but I remember that if the source was active and was powering the Amanero prior to the Cronus/B3 being powered up the B3 would.not lock and it required the source to be disconnected, the B3 powered up then the source reconnected. I don't recall the exact mechanism but delaying the power up of the Amanero fixed the issue.

Has anyone used a separate PSU for the Amanero in their Buffalo setupHide this!Advertise here!