• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Has anyone used a separate PSU for the Amanero in their Buffalo setup

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Has anyone used a separate PSU for the Amanero in their Buffalo setup? I'm always looking to tweak and wondered if anyone has done it and if there were any improvements.

I have, I cut the power track on the Amanero from the USB input and feed it from a separate supply. To be honest I made quite a few changes at the time so I can't say of that alone made any significant change. What was an improvement was adding a delay on the Amanero power on so that the Buffalo / Cronus boot up first before the Amanero. That prevents the Amanero using the timing from the USB input if its already active.

What? Are you saying that if the computer is on first, and powering the Amanero it defaults to the computer clock and then doesn't switch to the Cronus clock when that is powered on with the rest of the DAC? Or are you just wanting to avoid a possible noise when switching to the Cronus clock? I guess I never really thought about this but obviously since the Amanero is recognized by the computer even if the Cronus and DAC are off, it is either defaulting to using its built in clock or using the usb signal as clock. I don't see how the Cronus could work as a re-clocker if its local clock wasn't acting as the master for the Amanero.

Its been a while since I made the mod and I don't recall all the details, but I remember that if the source was active and was powering the Amanero prior to the Cronus/B3 being powered up the B3 would.not lock and it required the source to be disconnected, the B3 powered up then the source reconnected. I don't recall the exact mechanism but delaying the power up of the Amanero fixed the issue.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.