• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Raspberri pi/Volumio control

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Way back when I used to have a buffalo 2 which I controlled the filters and volume on via a then very early hifiduino script and an uno.

I'm thinking about getting a new buff 3 pro and using a pi/reclocker for input along with Volumio. Anyone here know if it's possible to get this combo to do the hardware volume on the buff 3?

Ideally I'd like to get to a world where I'd got the control I used to have but with the pi doing those house keeping duties seemlessly with Volumio running.

Anyone?

Stefan

If what you want is the RPi to control the volume via hardware (encoder or pot) I'd say yes, you should be able to. Since the Pi only has digital pins, encoder would be easier. To use a pot directly you should get an ADC board.

In any of the two cases, you will also need to play with "ALSA mixer", see details given to me by Matt Garman in this post, where he links to his blog posts ALSA Dummy Driver Events and HOWTO - Soekris dam1021 DAC and MPD on Raspberry Pi. Get the idea, you will probably need to tweak according to your DAC, etc.

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Ah, it should be doable, yes, and even easier than the ALSA trick I was suggesting above. You'd have a daemon running all the time that reads the encoder and communicates through I2C w/ the DAC.

And it would be cool if the daemon would also sync the volume control with the Volumio UI:
- Turn the volume knob --> change the volume at the DAC and update volume setting in Volumio UI
- Change the volume in the Volumio UI --> change the volume at the DAC

And it would be cool if the daemon would also sync the volume control with the Volumio UI:
- Turn the volume knob --> change the volume at the DAC and update volume setting in Volumio UI
- Change the volume in the Volumio UI --> change the volume at the DAC

This is exactly what I want to do. I don't even really need the encoder and knob, just changing the volume in Volumio which then sets the buffalo volume is all really

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.