Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 19th October 2018, 10:56 PM   #1
stefanhgm is offline stefanhgm
diyAudio Member

Default Problems with BBB-Hermes-Cronus for Buffalo-IIIsePro38 build.

Hello everyone.

I have problems to get my BBB-Hermes-Cronus-Buffalo-IIIsePro38 build to work. I already asked this question throughout different official TP threads, but I think it is just confusing to post in these different threads, so I opened a new one just dealing with my problem with the hope to finally get it working . So, here we go...

The Buffalo does actually work with an external SPDIF signal fed in through the "GND" and "SPDIF" connectors and the Buffalo switch 1, position 1 to "ON" for SPDIF input. Then the "LOCK" LED lights up and I can listen to music.

Hence, the problem must lay in the BBB-Hermes-Cronus combo producing a PCM signal (for which I move the above switch to "OFF" for SERIAL(PCM/DSD) input. On the BBB I run the prepared Debian distro including Botic by twluke: Support for Botic Linux driver. Below are the outputs of some important commands:

Quote:
debian@arm:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Botic [Botic], device 0: external botic-hifi-0 []
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

debian@arm:~$ aplay -L
null
Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
default:CARD=Botic
Botic,
Default Audio Device
sysdefault:CARD=Botic
Botic,
Default Audio Device
dmix:CARD=Botic,DEV=0
Botic,
Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=Botic,DEV=0
Botic,
Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=Botic,DEV=0
Botic,
Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=Botic,DEV=0
Botic,
Hardware device with all software conversions

debian@arm:~$ speaker-test

speaker-test 1.1.3

Playback device is default
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 1 channels
Using 16 octaves of pink noise
Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
Buffer size range from 16 to 786432
Period size range from 8 to 393216
Using max buffer size 786432
Periods = 4
was set period_size = 196608
was set buffer_size = 786432
0 - Front Left
Time per period = 10.378743
0 - Front Left
Time per period = 10.239861
0 - Front Left
Time per period = 10.239897
0 - Front Left
Time per period = 10.239885
0 - Front Left
Time per period = 10.239877
0 - Front Left
Time per period = 10.239869
0 - Front Left
Time per period = 10.239883
0 - Front Left
Time per period = 10.239875
Q1: Someone said that the output of speaker-test indicates that the BBB recognizes the clocks on the Cronus. Which signals does that include exactly and which one could still be problematic?

While letting speaker-test run I could not identify an output signal with a multimeter set to mV and AC. At the input header I could only detect a signal of 1,6V AC at pin 9 for the "MCK_IN", but not for "DCK_OUT", "D1_OUT", or "D2_OUT" (see attached picture). Also of 3,4V DC at pin 10 and 20.

Q2: Shouldn't I measure a signal at the inputs for "DCK_OUT", "D1_OUT", or "D2_OUT"?

Q3: What could be the reason for just getting a signal at "MCK_IN"?

Q4: Is there any measurement I could do for finding the problem?

As always I attached some picture in the hope that someone spots a stupid mistake . Thank you very much for your help!
Attached Images
File Type: png image10.png (6.0 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181019_195045.jpg (1,007.9 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181019_195058.jpg (1,002.8 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20181019_195108.jpg (998.7 KB, 114 views)
Old 23rd October 2018, 02:21 PM   #2
twluke is offline twluke  Japan
diyAudio Member

Problems with BBB-Hermes-Cronus for Buffalo-IIIsePro38 build.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanhgm View Post
Hello everyone.

-snip-
Below are the outputs of some important commands:
Your results above indicate the BBB-Hermes and Cronus are working well.

So the problem is wiring of the cables between the Cronus and Buffalo 3SE Pro DAC. Though it is a bit difficult to see the details of your actual wiring in the given pictures (too dark), it appears that you are setting unnecessary cable connection between the output GND of Cronus and the input GND of the Buffalo DAC (already grounded via u-FL cables). Please remove this connection. I hope this will solve your problem.

Last edited by twluke; 23rd October 2018 at 02:30 PM.
Old 23rd October 2018, 07:47 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hey twluke, thanks for your help!

Quote:
Your results above indicate the BBB-Hermes and Cronus are working well.
Okay, that sounds promising

Quote:
So the problem is wiring of the cables between the Cronus and Buffalo 3SE Pro DAC. Though it is a bit difficult to see the details of your actual wiring in the given pictures (too dark), it appears that you are setting unnecessary cable connection between the output GND of Cronus and the input GND of the Buffalo DAC (already grounded via u-FL cables). Please remove this connection. I hope this will solve your problem.
I removed the unnecessary GND as you said. So, there are only the three u.fl connections left and I also ensured with a multimeter that they are all three connected. However, when I let speaker-test run there is no sound.

Quote:
speaker-test 1.1.3

Playback device is default
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 1 channels
Using 16 octaves of pink noise
Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
Buffer size range from 16 to 786432
Period size range from 8 to 393216
Using max buffer size 786432
Periods = 4
was set period_size = 196608
was set buffer_size = 786432
0 - Front Left
Time per period = 10.473796
0 - Front Left
0 - Front Left
0 - Front Left
[...]
Still when I change input to SPIDF the LOCK LED of the Buffalo lights up and it plays fine.

I attached a picture again. Hope that is better. If you need a picture of anything else, just let me know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181023_203342.jpg (998.3 KB, 78 views)
Old 24th October 2018, 01:28 AM   #4
twluke is offline twluke  Japan
diyAudio Member

Problems with BBB-Hermes-Cronus for Buffalo-IIIsePro38 build.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanhgm View Post
-snip-
I removed the unnecessary GND as you said. So, there are only the three u.fl connections left and I also ensured with a multimeter that they are all three connected. However, when I let speaker-test run there is no sound.
Maybe the audio signal is muted. Did you set the firmware SW2:1 to automute? If so, disabling it (switch to ON) may work. Otherwise, sorry to say that I have no further idea.
Old 24th October 2018, 03:47 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twluke View Post
Maybe the audio signal is muted. Did you set the firmware SW2:1 to automute? If so, disabling it (switch to ON) may work. Otherwise, sorry to say that I have no further idea.

I tried ON and OFF for SW2:1. For SPIDF it still works fine. For PCM over the BBB-Hermes-Cronus still no sound with speaker-test.
Old 5th November 2018, 08:46 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Bump.

I am listing through the Buffalo via SPIDF right now, but I would really love to get the input from the BBB working as well . Any suggestions what I might try?

Problems with BBB-Hermes-Cronus for Buffalo-IIIsePro38 build.Hide this!Advertise here!