• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Designing a practical ES9038 based eight channel DAC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dahlberg,

My guess is that the dac changes from the 2 channel version are not that great. The difficulty is the IV for the 9038 chip. Making it for 8 channels and and relatively compact. Something more compact than 4 mercury IV boards stacked under the DAC board.
There are no extraordinary requirements to the I/V for that chip when it is run in the 8-channel mode: the output current is about the same as for the 9018 chip in the 2-channel mode...

In my last dsp/dac solution I had 3 BuffaloIIIse dacs reciving spdif from a
"Najda" dsp board. So I thought I'd make a choppingcart for a similar solution to see where it would end.

3pc Buffalo-IIIsePro38 2-Channel DAC Module (Assembled and Tested) + Full
SR Regulator Set (Assembled and Tested)

$479.00 x 3 $1437.00
Shipping Total: $69.05
Cart Total: $1506.05

1pc Minidsp U-DIO8
OUTPUT FORMAT SPDIF (DB-25 TO BNC)
299 USD
SPEEDPOST - 30 USD
TOTAL:
329 USD

1835$ + 25% sales tax = 2293$ without preregulators and I/V sections.

So for now I'll think I will have to wait for this instead :cool:

Another approach on the dac that I could live with would be:

Onboard 8ch usb reciver. (only one audio/in connection and digital systemcontrol possible before delivery)
Onboard local regulators. (Maybe with option for more then just one pre-reg connection).
Onboard local master clock only.
Separate 8ch output board.

Last edited:
Yes. After a long time working on other things - I now have some time to get back to designing DACs. :) Forgive the long gap in time - but part of the issue for me was a lack of 8 channel source to test with. That situation is about to change - and now since I will have a suitable source I have a very serious use case for this application myself.

I am pulling back up the design Brian and I have been discussing and I will post where I am at with it very soon.

What I can commit to is that I have three major PCB projects in the works - a USB 8 channel source - and an 8 channel DAC with I/V stage(s) to match.

Again - I am sorry for the long silence - I have not lost interest in the hobby. Thanks for your patience.

Last edited:
Really great news!

I hope The 8 ch usb source will have isolation and reclocking built in and an I2s output option so teleporter modules could send I2s to remote DACs as well as the new 8 channel / 4ch ?DAC.

I have recently been experimenting with an XMOS 8 ch board. While it sounds good it doesn’t shine like the Amanero, Hermès, Chronus combination. As has been stated in different ways many times on this site, it is hard to be excited if the final audio is a lesser quality than we have currently. Saving money and space will be important perhaps even paramount to some, but a world class multichannel source solution is a missing link for those of us with subs or contemplating speakers with digital crossovers so please include the option for those of us willing to run a herd of Buffaloes.

wasn't gonna drag that into it...but

....issue for me was a lack of 8 channel source....

Not to be contrary, and I realize 2x2x2 is the logical octal.
But as 'source' I have tetrabytes of audio, video, dvda, mlp, sacd, etc.....files, formats, iso, On & on. And to my knowledge not one single 8 channel audio (music only) file.
Maybe I'm 'square' but as a multichannel 'Audio DAC' ....6 channel suffices.

8 channel seems more of a 'Home Theater DAC'

I'll give 'DTS HD Master Audio 7.1' it's due credit. But std DTS & Dolby is crap compared to a full MLP layer (ripMLP :sad:)

fwiw 2cents

Yes. After a long time working on other things - I now have some time to get back to designing DACs. :) Forgive the long gap in time - but part of the issue for me was a lack of 8 channel source to test with. That situation is about to change - and now since I will have a suitable source I have a very serious use case for this application myself.

I am pulling back up the design Brian and I have been discussing and I will post where I am at with it very soon.

What I can commit to is that I have three major PCB projects in the works - a USB 8 channel source - and an 8 channel DAC with I/V stage(s) to match.

Again - I am sorry for the long silence - I have not lost interest in the hobby. Thanks for your patience.

That were good news. Any updates Russ?

Hi Russ & Brian, long time no chat. My B32 is still working fine.
My B-2 drops lock randomly & I can't find the cause.
Anyway, have for a while been tri-amping my speakers using Apple Mac Mini, Audio Unit (Isol8) plugins to 3 DACs, then amps/speakers. Works fine, sounds ok, but faulty B-2 leads me to consider updating.
Were B32, B-2, MF V-DAC; now B32, Oppo205 (temporarily), V-DAC (bass/mid/treble), 'cos B-2 fix eludes me.
Question re new 8 channel DAC: Will I be able to use new 8chan unit with plugins as XOs as I do now?
At the moment, Audio Midi app has an Aggregate device comprising 2 USB DACs & one Toslink DAC. I use Configure Speakers for 3 stereo streams, & use AUlab with one Isol8 plugin per stereo stream to split frequency bands for each driver. Works great, just uses 3 separate DAC appliances!
I'm hoping new DAC's USB can be configured as 4 stereo streams, each of which can be configured in AUlab for an Isol8 XO plugin to split frequencies for each speaker driver? That would be great, then I can have just one DAC appliance, instead of 3.

If your new 8chan dac board can serve as an Apple-based active speaker XO, & availability is imminent, put me down for one. I'm happy to use new Mercury boards too.

Let me say again that I believe the first step needed toward the eight ch solution is the source.

We need an 8 ch usb / HDMI to I2S, supporting 32 bit and allowing great clocks, external clocks, and even re-clocking. Unleash a herd of Buffalo Pro's connected by teleporter's and problem expensively solved.

Then release the cost effective 8 ch DAC. Even a 38 Pro doesn't present the same current demands when divided into eight individual channels so the iv stage becomes much more straight forward. There could even be the option to combine the outputs back into stereo so we can play with combining parallel channels pre or post iv stage.

I don't see the problem with 8ch source, there are ton of 24-32bit audio processors with 8ch i2s output. The one could use voltage output if iv stage isn't possible to be produced by now. Combining outputs was already realized in BIII before.There are no any obstacles to release BIV

If you or any member can point me to an 8 ch, 32 bit usb to i2s interface I would be very grateful. The only one I could find was Pink Faun but that is only PC not Mac compatible. I have been experimenting with DIYinHK Xmos but that is limited to 24 bit and I believe 192K without a custom driver. It also doesn't sound anywhere near as good as the Amanero combo 384 especially with the Cronus.

Status
Not open for further replies.