Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 10th May 2020, 07:59 AM   #81
wealas is offline wealas
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen1212b View Post
If you or any member can point me to an 8 ch, 32 bit usb to i2s interface I would be very grateful.
Minidsp sells the mchstreamer which supports up to 8ch DSD256 and you can use Ian's McFifo to reclock all 8 channels using the best clocks you can find.
Old 6th June 2020, 05:03 AM   #82
dr_faulkner is offline dr_faulkner  Australia
diyAudio Member

DIYINHK have a very good multichannel USB I2S board based on the XMOS 200 - and you dont need to reclock it like the Minidsp XMOS
Old 7th June 2020, 04:17 PM   #83
stephen1212b is offline stephen1212b  United States
diyAudio Member

I have the DIYINHK board. They do not offer driver or configuration software and as supplied it is limited to 24 bit on a mac at least. It doesn't sound as good as the Amanero, and it has to be the master deriving the audio clocks from non integer math.

Thanks for pointing out the MiniDSP MCHStreamer. I was unaware of this newer model. I have one on order, we will see what delivery time from China is these days.

Does anyone know it the IAN FIFO is limited to just one stereo data stream?
Old 7th June 2020, 04:24 PM   #84
diyAudio Member

Ok I found out the McFifo handles multiple streams. Great suggestion Thanks to all.
Old 7th June 2020, 05:10 PM   #85
marcelooms is offline marcelooms
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have the DIYINHK board. They do not offer driver or configuration software and as supplied it is limited to 24 bit on a mac at least. It doesn't sound as good as the Amanero, and it has to be the master deriving the audio clocks from non integer math.

Thanks for pointing out the MiniDSP MCHStreamer. I was unaware of this newer model. I have one on order, we will see what delivery time from China is these days.

Does anyone know it the IAN FIFO is limited to just one stereo data stream?
Is the MiniDSP MCHStreamer really any good? They do not specify the audio clocks they use, and their XMOS chip is only half as powerfull as the DIYINHK. I heard the MiniDSP generates the audio clocks in the XMOS chip, which would not be ideal.
I use the DIYINHK on windows, 24 bit max also. Sound is great, but I don't have the Amanero to compare against.
Old 7th June 2020, 06:22 PM   #86
wealas is offline wealas
diyAudio Member

Probably not, but it's the only interface that supports 8ch DSD256 out of the box.
Old 7th June 2020, 07:00 PM   #87
diyAudio Member

All XMOS run as master and suffer from having to derive thier audio clocks.

Just found out the MiniDSP inputs are limited to 24 bit just like the DiYINHK boards, only the outputs support 32 bit. This matters because global attenuation and crossover filtering are all happening upstream at the computer source. I have found by listening that you need at least 4 bits of additional bit depth to preserve resolution when altering the data, I.E. volume or EQ, perhaps due to mathematical rounding. As I am doing both I believe I need 8 bits in addition to the 16 original bits or 24 bits. If I need to attenuate approximately 30 db for an average listening level that would be almost 29 bits needed to not hear the effects of processing, as 5 bits would be thrown away prior to being sent to the DAC. Some masking happens with volume reduction. Hey aren't these first world problems somewhat ridiculous given the current world situation? Still, I maintain that the effects of great sounding music on people far more influential than I am, can positively impact all of our lives more than we know.

Also the McFifo is no longer available and the newest only seems to support 4 ch audio.

All I want is for our technical trickery to exceed our inherent ability to percieve.
Old 7th June 2020, 10:57 PM   #88
marcelooms is offline marcelooms
diyAudio Member

Haha, I agree with you on wanting the technical best.
I did not know it to be possible to do EQ/DSP on DSD?
Using the attenuation in the ES90x8 chip, there is hardly any effect on resolution. So I mainly use software to control the channel volumes over I2C.
The XMOS uses a FIFO buffer on the I2S output. The DIYINHK clocks these uaing exter al NDK oscillators. The MiniDSP uses the MCU clock derivative.
Old 8th June 2020, 07:55 AM   #89
wealas is offline wealas
diyAudio Member

Quote:
All XMOS run as master and suffer from having to derive thier audio clocks.
The ones I've seen use dedicated audio frequency clocks, they don't derive anything. That's much better (in my opinion) than modern DAC chips that use a generic 100MHz clock and divide from that.

Quote:
Just found out the MiniDSP inputs are limited to 24 bit just like the DiYINHK boards, only the outputs support 32 bit.
Is this a Mac limitation? Because both the diyinhk and MCHStreamer boards work with 32bit input via USB on Linux. Minidsp even lists it in the release notes for the firmware:
Quote:
Add support for 32bits Input for firmware have I2S or TDM input.
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcelooms
I did not know it to be possible to do EQ/DSP on DSD?
Roon and HQPlayer can do it, bit it takes a lot of CPU power. Roon shows that it's using something like 2M taps for the FIR filters.
  Reply to this post

Designing a practical ES9038 based eight channel DACHide this!Advertise here!