Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 8th July 2018, 08:54 PM   #1
TioFrancotirador is offline TioFrancotirador  Poland
diyAudio Member

Default Trying supercaps

Hi,

Here is my es9038q2m build. I/V is passive Super V/I Converter LL1684. CCHD 950-100Mhz is soldered on the other side of PCB.

es9038q2m_supercaps.jpg - Google Drive

As first I experiemented with with different power supplies: Last version of Tridents 1.1, LT3042, LifePo4 and Salas Reflector D for powering the whole board then AVCC, Clock and rest separatelly.

Recentely I got two Ultracaps 2.7V 3000F (farads) each. I connected two in series to be able to charge them up to 3.3V. Their total impedance is 0.58mOhm. Initially I powered whole board with it since es9038q2m is low consumption unit. Eventually I found out that the biggest gain I got is just on powering the AVCC. Seems that AVCC is most senstive to the power provided. Ther rest I power from Salas Reflector D.

There result are really exceptional! I do not write about sonic impression, but belive me the results are outstanding in comparision to other power supplies.

I just thought maybe it will be and inspiration to someone to try it on either es9028pro or es9038pro Buffalo III boards.

The recipe is pretty stright forward:
Connect two in series with bleeder 1k resistor in paraller to each on of them.
I charge them with simple CC/CV 3A up to 3.45V. It takes dozen of minutes to charge, maybe more depanding on discharge level. Then, once charged and disconnected I got doezn of houres for listening of pure audio nirvana until voltage drops to minimum acceptable. No AC noise, no chemical noise like from batteries, no current feedback ... just pure power.

Obviously both es9028pro and es9038pro consume more current on AVCC. However they could be powerd with higher voltage 3.6V (safe), but could more, up to 3.8V??? (I think). This means it will take longer to discharge until voltage drops to minmal acceptable level 3.15V? So once charge should be enough for couple of hours of listening session.

Last edited by TioFrancotirador; 8th July 2018 at 08:58 PM.
Old 17th July 2018, 09:27 AM   #2
Goto is offline Goto  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the information - it reminded me supercaps were something in the back of my mind to try. For AVCC they seem ideal - so I ordered a couple 300F jobbies just to tip my toe before I commit real money on top-spec caps.

I'll feedback when I have had a chance to try them.
Old 17th July 2018, 09:51 AM   #3
peranders is offline peranders  Sweden
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Trying supercaps
Quote:
Originally Posted by TioFrancotirador View Post
No AC noise, no chemical noise like from batteries, no current feedback ... just pure power.
You have always noise so what about the RF noise? The Super cap has probably very poor HF properties compared to a super regulator of LT3042 based one.
Old 17th July 2018, 02:05 PM   #4
TioFrancotirador is offline TioFrancotirador  Poland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peranders View Post
You have always noise so what about the RF noise? The Super cap has probably very poor HF properties compared to a super regulator of LT3042 based one.
Yep. It would be great to have such measurements. I could not find any on internet. Maybe someone someday will do them.

Trying supercapsHide this!Advertise here!