Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 22nd May 2018, 03:45 PM   #11
Russ White is offline Russ White  United States
diyAudio Member

I can create a branch for that as a starting point after we get this working
Old 22nd May 2018, 07:32 PM   #12
Blitz is offline Blitz  Germany
diyAudio Member

So sync mode in dual mono ? Great...will order a second 9038 in that case...
Old 23rd May 2018, 12:52 PM   #13
Crom is offline Crom  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

OK, I've been away for a couple of days but I'll be back home later on and will link up the reset pins and give things a whirl. Did you spot anything amiss in the pictures? Pretty difficult to tell but I should give a big 'shoutout' to my wife for helping out remotely ;-) Let me know if you need better ones and I'll get to it later!
Old 23rd May 2018, 01:16 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

As far as I can detect right now - the pictures look fine. Thanks!

Very helpful assist from the wife! Well done.

Cheers!
Russ
Old 23rd May 2018, 07:06 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the help Russ. Agnes Obel is sounding wonderful at 44.1k and from both channels!

With the reset connection added both DACs mirrored each other upon initialisation and it is sounding fabulous even from a cold start. After a warm up I'll try some higher bitrate / DSD and have a play with the various filters.

Thanks again,
Crom
Old 23rd May 2018, 08:10 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crom View Post
Thanks for the help Russ. Agnes Obel is sounding wonderful at 44.1k and from both channels!

With the reset connection added both DACs mirrored each other upon initialisation and it is sounding fabulous even from a cold start. After a warm up I'll try some higher bitrate / DSD and have a play with the various filters.

Thanks again,
Crom
Excellent - glad to hear that!
Old 25th May 2018, 09:46 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

As promised, here's a report on my perception of how the sound has changed from the 9018 boards and experiments in playing various formats and bitrates:

It is not a night-and-day difference but a worthwhile upgrade: Glare or digital shimmer has been removed from the top end. This takes a little getting used to and a couple of tracks sounded a little bottom-heavy to start off with, but there is now much more nuance and detail across the frequency range. There is an increased precision and immediacy to the sound - I think caused by better transient response. This increases the naturalness of acoustic instruments: pianos, voices, guitars all sound more "real" - my wife commented that Ben Webster and Oscar Peterson could have been sitting across the room from us. My acid test of some ACDC and Pantera now has increased viscera. The soundstage has increased a little in width and depth and separation is better...again, not huge changes but noticeable and appreciated. Worth it? Definitely. Congratulations Russ and Brian - just sounds lovely!!

PCM playback is perfect all the way up to 384k / 24bit.

DSD (via DoP) I've only tried 64 and 128 but at either of these I get intermittent white noise (generally one time per track lasting about 5 seconds and strangely at a very similar number of seconds after the track started). This noise only occurs on the slave DAC (right channel).

I also have random drop outs on both channels. These are relatively rare, happening once per 5 tracks and last anytime between 0.5 seconds and 2 seconds.

It's early days with me and DSD so I am sure that I will be able to improve on this. However, I would very much like to try the dual mono syncmode firmware. Is there anything I can do to help here, Russ?

Cheers,
Crom
Old 25th May 2018, 04:44 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

You could try widening the DPLL BW a bit. I will create a sync mode branch for you soon.
Old 29th May 2018, 10:55 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Good shout re DPLL but I had the system running for about 4 hours with no white noise at all. Great music!
Old 29th May 2018, 01:08 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Cool - opening it up can also help with the occasional random drop out (when not in sync mode).

B3SE-Pro experimental dual mono firmware.Hide this!Advertise here!