Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 4th April 2018, 03:46 PM   #11
barrows is offline barrows
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ White View Post
I have tried 3045 and it is excellent in terms of noise and input voltage range - but in terms of output impedance and load regulation it's a tough choice - that's why we went with the choices w made on Trident-SR/AVCC-SR - because that parameter is actually critically important - especially at AVCC.
For the info Russ, that is good to know.
Old 4th April 2018, 10:57 PM   #12
rowli is offline rowli  Sweden
diyAudio Member

I have listen for a week now, solved a problem with my r-core transformers and tried some different amanero firmwares. For the moment I'm using a Microrendu to Amanero without Cronos. Amanero firmware 2003be_71A works okay for me. Some high frecuency distortion, perhaps once or twice in a evening listening. But only have to restart track to get it OK again. Hopefully Amanero will fix that. Anyway, now listening to DSD 256 and 512 without problem through Microrendu.

Could not edit my previous post, but wipe away the last two sentences. No complains from me now, great DAC

Thanks Russ and Brian!

regards Micke

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowli View Post
I have listen for just a few hours now. Compared to my previous ess 9018 with Lundahl IV, Buffalo PRO/Mercury has much more details and spatial information. For example acoustics of the recording venue at Cowboy Junkies Trinity Sessions are more easy to hear, Q-sound on Roger Walters Amused to death more exact defined in space. But I miss some musicality or warmth, diffcult to define, but the thing that keeps you up all night just want listen to one more track. Hoppfully that comes after some more hours playing or other filter selections.
/ Micke
Old 5th April 2018, 03:35 PM   #13
Russ White is offline Russ White  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowli View Post

Could not edit my previous post, but wipe away the last two sentences. No complains from me now, great DAC

Thanks Russ and Brian!

regards Micke
Very glad to hear that!

Cheers!
Russ

P.S. I edited it on your behalf if you don't mind.
Old 7th April 2018, 08:14 AM   #14
Goto is offline Goto  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrows View Post
BTW, quick question for BuffPRO builders out there:
Has anyone compared the TPA Trident SR for AVCC with LT 3045 based regulators? The 3045 is specs at even lower noise, but I wonder if at these levels if there could really be a difference... I know small difference at the AVCC pins seem to be audible though from some prior experiences...
I have only used LT3045 regs for AVCC on my build, and very happy with them. Based on Russ' input here I will definitely try the latest Trident soon. The comparison will be interesting. I have a few months and many hours of listening to this dac now so any change on swapping should be readily apparent.

Such a great dac, running directly from Mercury into my Utopia headphones.
Old 7th April 2018, 10:30 AM   #15
fred_com is offline fred_com  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Here's my stuff. Sorry about the mess, the boards are not even secured to the case, as I've been constantly upgrading from BIIISE to Soekris, to BIIISEPro now, and too lazy to drill the new holes.

Inside are:
- Buffalo-IIIsePro38 with Mercury
- Placid HDs and LCDPS upgraded with new caps
- Cronus (in sync mode)/Hermes/BBB
- Selectronic trafos (I was lucky enough to grab some of them before the company closed down)
- the little boards before the Placids are discrete diodes (well, double diodes in one case) along with trafo snubber, which is measured for the trafo that it connected to
- I've also connected the HDD directly to the BBB (providing the power from LCDPS, as BBB is not powerful enough), and I'm hoping it wasn't a placebo effect , but I've heard a small improvement as opposed to the HDD being connected to NAS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180407_100802242_iOS.jpg (160.1 KB, 290 views)
File Type: jpg 20180407_100824778_iOS.jpg (176.2 KB, 279 views)
Old 7th April 2018, 09:48 PM   #16
Russ White is offline Russ White  United States
diyAudio Member

Nice job Fred! So glad to hear your report! Enopy the music - I mostly listen direct to balanced wired headphones as well. It's had to beat that!

Cheers!
Russ
Old 8th April 2018, 08:12 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Thanks Russ! I've been using your products since when the BII came out (don't even remember what year it was ). So this is the first time I've shared my build

As for direct to headphones - I'll have to try it, as now I'm listening through the Beta22 without volume control.
Old 12th April 2018, 12:06 AM   #18
sbelyo is offline sbelyo  United States
diyAudio Member

What's the VA rating on the transformers you're all using to power the 5Vdc to the DAC? I know it requires it requires 5vdc @ 750 mah and thought a 9+9 V 30VA transformer would work but I'm seeing the R cores and 100VA torroids.
Old 12th April 2018, 05:01 AM   #19
MartinC700 is offline MartinC700  United States
diyAudio Member

I am sure that 30VA is fine, the only reason I used 100VA torroids was that I'm from the old school when the philosophy was that hugely over specified transformers provided big advantages in analog circuits, so that carried over to the digital side. Plus the 100VA torroids had an electrostatic shield and a MU metal outer shield.
Old 12th April 2018, 08:56 AM   #20
diyAudio Member

My R-Cores are 80VA, and I've used them just because bigger trafos provide some small improvement in bass, at least that's what I heard.
I think this have the same amount of influence on sound as changing the reservoir caps for bigger ones on the power supply (which I've done too ).
But yes, 30VA and 10000uF (on Placids) are fine of course, I think Russ and Brian have thoroughly tested this. Anything bigger is just wanting to try something new

Last edited by fred_com; 12th April 2018 at 09:00 AM.

BuffaloPRO build threadHide this!Advertise here!