Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 19th February 2018, 02:10 AM   #1
MWL168 is offline MWL168  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Issue using Cronus/Hermes/Amanero with Soekris DAM1021 DAC

Hi All:

I need help with an issue using the Cronus/Hermes/Amanero with a Soekris DAM1021 DAC when playing music from YouTube.

The source is a MacBook Pro. I either play music through Audirvana or use a Chrome browser to play videos from YouTube on this Mac .

The DAM1021 runs on a +/- 9.3VDC PSU and the Cronus/Hermes runs on its own 6.5VDC PS.

When I play music with Audirvana, the whole setup runs perfectly fine. Solid lock to the i2s signal on all resolutions and beautiful music.

The problem comes when I play music from YouTube. The i2s lock is not stable with many irregular drop-outs lasting fraction of a second. Interestingly, the drop-out frequency varies from video to video, some videos consistently do worse than the others.

The odd thing is that if I play those same videos on YouTube using the same USB output on the Mac and through a USB-SPDIF converter and feed the SPDIF into the DAM1021, I have solid lock and no drop-out at all.

I can also play videos on YouTube through my dual-mono Buffalo II via another Cronus/Hermes/Amanero (a newer version than the one I am using with the DAM1021) with solid lock and no drop-out.

I have been able to consistently recreate all the above scenarios. There must be a logical explanation to this seemingly mystery. Can someone shed lights on what's going on and how to resolve this issue?

Thanks!

EDIT: forgot to mention that the same setup plays YouTube videos fine with solid lock using Amanero (same one I am using with Cronus/Hermes now) alone.

Last edited by MWL168; 19th February 2018 at 03:11 AM.
Old 19th February 2018, 08:56 AM   #2
miero is offline miero  Czech Republic
diyAudio Member

what clock is DAM1021 using if it is connected to Cronus? I guess there were some specific requirement (differential signal?) that might not be compatible with Cronus...
Old 19th February 2018, 01:20 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Miero:

The DAM1021 uses a Si514 for the clock and a FIFO reclocker. The i2s is also isolated.

I know the Cronus/Hermes is probably an overkill in this case but I have an extra one from my Buffalo DAC project two years ago anyway.

What puzzles me is that it works fine with Audirvana and iTune, the drop-out only occures when playing YouTube. I tried Amazon streaming and experience similar drop-out but to a much lesser degree.
Old 19th February 2018, 01:45 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Does it happen for both 44.1fs and 48fs?
Old 19th February 2018, 02:40 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Sorry I am not able to ascertain.

I believe YouTube re-encode uploads to 44.1KHz. I was not able to find information about Amazon.

I have music with 96KHz, 192KHz and DSD128 on my Mac and they play fine through iTune and Audirvana fine with the Cronus.
Old 19th February 2018, 06:01 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

OK. Try to remove 48fs clock from Cronus if the sound will be playing from Youtube. It is possible that incorrect clock is being used for 44.1fs. If Youtube will not play then this might be the case.

Notice: I'm not sure if this would work, if it does not then try to swap clocks on Cronus with each other.

Last edited by miero; 19th February 2018 at 06:03 PM.
Old 19th February 2018, 07:26 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks Miero.

Unfortunately it’s not easy for me to remove or swap the clocks on my Cronus because I mistakenly soldered them directly on the Cronus board.

I plan to swap the Cronus/Hermes in my Buffalo DAC to use with the DAM1021 to see if that works and report back. This Cronus is the newer version with the buffered clock output.

I should mention I have many content in iTune that’s 44.1KHz frequency family and the Cronus has no issue choosing the correct clock.

Anything else do you recommend me trying?

Last edited by MWL168; 19th February 2018 at 07:29 PM.
Old 19th February 2018, 09:01 PM   #8
Russ White is offline Russ White  United States
diyAudio Member

If it's selecting the right clock - I would start maybe trying alternate amanero firmware? It sounds possibly a driver/firmware issue with that particular type of source.
Old 19th February 2018, 09:44 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Thanks Russ.

The Amanero in question is currently running “Slave_For_1080” CPLD and “firmware_1096c” CPU firmware as instructed on the Hermes-Amanero thread. Which firmwares do you suggest I try?
Old 19th February 2018, 10:05 PM   #10
Russ White is offline Russ White  United States
diyAudio Member

I am not sure since I don't have your DAC to try - I would experiment.

Issue using Cronus/Hermes/Amanero with Soekris DAM1021 DACHide this!Advertise here!