• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Introducing Mercury - Achieving escape velocity.

Curious if anyone here has tried the Mercury as a headphone amp directly? Specifically I'm interested in some of the Sennheisser's, such as HD650, HD700 or HD800s?
What are your thoughts?

Yes - I use the Mercury output directly to my Focal Utopias. It works brilliantly, both balanced and single-ended.

I recall Russ designed it to work this way. The Focals are an easier load I think than the HD800s (no longer have them, can't check) but as long as your power supply can provide the current, the output stage of the Mercury should be able to handle the Senns.

Shortest signal path always = best sound.

Received Mercury board for my B SE Iii dac 2 questions

1. I am using it with my BIii SE, 9018, so which set of resistors should I install?
213 ohm, 499 ohm and 121.
2. And the relay positions? In the first post here there is a picture that shows
the position of the relay at one end -left side- I would guess that the position of the relay at the other side would be symmetric, or opposite to that, thanks

Reactions: 1 user
1. I am using it with my BIii SE, 9018, so which set of resistors should I install?
213 ohm, 499 ohm and 121.
2. And the relay positions? In the first post here there is a picture that shows
the position of the relay at one end -left side- I would guess that the position of the relay at the other side would be symmetric, or opposite to that, thanks

The 9018 and 9028 have the same output levels, so you want to use the 9028 set (243R, or 499R for 4V)

The relays have an alignment dot (really a short bar) that aligns with the dot on the PCB.

Omron_G6K_P_DSL.jpg

Last edited:
Listenning Impressions...

It had to be that, thanks God! No wonder there was no sound coming from the left channel this morning. So after connecting the left channel to the PS, and 20 minutes session I can say that there are “cojones” engaged now, in comparison to the IVY board. In this limited session for now I can attest to that and also of more soundstage density and instrumental body. I’ll leave the rest for a later time when there would be some break-in, etc.

As far as the board kit implementation it was straightforward, a few components soldering and wiring the existing Placid HD supply. Highly recommended!

Thanks to Brian and Russ for making this available at a reasonable price! And not having us running after the latest DAC and supposed marvel technology of the month iteration as we all read about in the review magazines.

Would the caps or resistors benefit from trying any boutique parts?

We make those parts though-hole and unsoldered in the kit so people can experiment with types and values.

My personal opinion: no. But, don't that stop from experimenting and having fun.

Note, since this is a balanced (symmetric) circuit, part tolerances (matching) is very important.

parts...

Would the caps or resistors benefit from trying any boutique parts?

I used z-foils for the feedback resistors as I could get custom values (I set a custom gain to suit my system) and very tight tolerance, and at least they are measured to be very low noise. I also used Amtrans caps for the filter circuit, also slightly different values to suit my use of only DSD 256 in this DAC (please do not ask for values as I do not have the time to look this up).

it certainly sounds great, but I cannot comment on how the sound might (or not) differ from the stock parts...

To power the L/R channels in the Legato separately, I know you would omit J1-J4.

It looks like the 4 supplied resistors for the Mercury are to set gain. To confirm, if I want to power the L/R channels separately, vs. using one supply, I would simply wire from the left +/-/g terminal blocks to the right side and no changes are needed to the mercury board?

Brian/Russ - have you noticed any audible difference using separate L/R supplies? If I was to use two supplies, would there be any theoretical difference using one transformer with a higher VA and 4 x 15v secondaries vs. 2 transformers with dual secondaries?