• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Introducing Mercury - Achieving escape velocity.

Really as long as you live within the confines of the OPA1632 datasheet you will be just fine driving any headphone. The absolute max output current of the OPA1632 is 150ma - I would never try to push it much beyond 100ma though - so you just have to plan based on your intended load. For high impedance cans I give myself some extra voltage gain - for low impedance cans I sometime reduce the gain but usually leave it alone. If your cans need more than 100ma or so then I would use a separate headphone amp. I only have a couple of pair that need more - and they are special cases. :)

I just opened up pre-orders for v1.0, which will begin shipping the week of Dec 4th.

This is a picture of the jumper that needs to be added for the right-channel balanced output (about 12mm long):

attachment.php

Attachments

• jumper.jpg
    jumper.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 2,791
Last edited:
When will the Version 1.1 of the Mercury be purchased?

I'm worried that adding a 12mm jumper at the right-channel balanced ground will cause unbalance between the left and right channels, affecting sound quality. If jumpers are added to both left and right channels, the problem is smaller.

No - the jumper absolutely wouldn't effect quality:) Balanced signals don't work like that. GND is not really part of the signal for a balanced output - all that really matters is that the shield has a single path back to GND.

In any case - 1.1 boards are ordered but it will probably be a couple of weeks before they are ready - in the meantime I would not let the jumper stop you. :)

Cheers!
Russ

Last edited:
Can you tell me the length of BUFFALO-IIISE PRO and Mercury IV individually? I need to arrange a drill hole in the housing.

How can I connect BUFFALO-IIISE PRO with Mercury IV?

This should get you going.

You simply solder the female 3 pin headers to bottom of the b3se-pro and the male headers to the top of the Mercury. Then you simply mount the B3SE-Pro on top of the mercury.

It will look like the attached pic (this is a mercury during initial testing in my test rig).

Cheers!
Russ

Attachments

• Mercury_Dimensions.PNG
    Mercury_Dimensions.PNG
    51.5 KB · Views: 1,129
  • mercury2.jpg
    mercury2.jpg
    966.7 KB · Views: 1,150
So with the servos there is no DC offset or common mode DC offset from the balanced or single ended outputs correct?

I just want to make sure I don't feed my amps any DC offset

Well virtually none - there will still be a very small amount (generally a few mv) because the opamps themselves have some tiny input offset - and even at .1% resistors are not perfectly matched :) The servo reduces the offset to very close to zero - but if you want absolutely no DC your only choice is to AC couple :)

I am reading ~1mv offset at the SE output and a bit less at the balanced outputs.

Cheers!
Russ

Well virtually none - there will still be a very small amount (generally a few mv) because the opamps themselves have some tiny input offset - and even at .1% resistors are not perfectly matched :) The servo reduces the offset to very close to zero - but if you want absolutely no DC your only choice is to AC couple :)

I am reading ~1mv offset at the SE output and a bit less at the balanced outputs.

Cheers!
Russ
ok, sounds good. I think the servos in my amp can handle that.