• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Introducing the Buffalo III-SE-Pro 9028/9038

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Sorry, didnt mean to imply that the Buffalo was comparable. I bought as D10s as a modding platform and possibly to use with andrea's FIFO+clocks in future, If the impressions of Buffalo were positive then it would give some idea if it's worth pursuing it with D10s.

Definitely some large improvements needed in the power supply of D10S,
Since the op amp I/V wouldn't be loaded as much its possible it has some benefits for SQ of I/V stage with only 2 channels.

I've heard some very nice 9038Q2M DACs so there is potential. Too bad there is no balanced output from the little D10s. Enjoy the project!

I'm running into something strange with my new BIIISE-Pro.

On both serial and SPDIF inputs I can play music, i hear both Left and Right speakers.
But when I try to play channel test files "this is the left channel", "this is the right channel", etc.. The right channel displays complete silence.

I attached a test file to this post for the sake of clarity.

Why does music play (also right) and do these channel tests fail? When I play the files on my computer i'm hearing everything.

Somebody have a clue?

Attachments

• 02 - 44k1 Left, Right, Center, Surround (like Dolby Pro-Logic).mp4
    139.1 KB
Ok, my testing:

Playing the file on my macbook pro with headphones: left channel sounds on left earbud, right channel sounds on right earbud, center and surround channels sound on both earbuds

Playing the file on my BlueSound Node2 streamer with analog out to my preamp: same experience as above on the macbook pro

Playing the file on my BlueSound Node2 with SPDIF to buffalo: left channel sounds on both speakers, right channel is silent/inaudible/skipped, center and surround channels play on both speakers

Playing the file on my raspberry pi outputting via USB Audio to Amanero/Hermes/Cronus combination outputting i2s serial to Buffalo: left channel sounds on both speakers, right channel is silent/inaudible/skipped, center and surround channels play on both speakers

Last edited:
yeah, i'm not focussing on the center and surround anyway.. just really strange the right channel does not play in this file.

I've had those files for years and never had an issue with them, yet I fail to understand what the problem might be here

I've also tested a frequency sweep song on spotify that tests left first and then right, that gives the same issues.. So i'm inclined to think it's not related to the file.

Hmm so it seems like audio might play in the right channel only when there is something playing in the left channel.

You could try making a new test file in audacity, 2 different sound for the left and right channels (e.g a 'left' voice clip and 'right' voice clip) and align them so they play at the same time, then see if what comes out of the right channel is actually the 'right' sound clip

Yes, i can’t confirm which firmware was actually installed on the included attiny85 but i’m pretty sure it had mono firmware. Only left channel audio played over both outputs. Ordered a new attiny85 and programmer and programmed the 1.0 release version of the stereo firmware and the problem is now solved.

Toslink module volume

Hi,

I use my Buffalo IIIproSE mainly for music over I2S. I goes to a preamplifier.

I have it set up that the Volume is nearly the same as listening to my turntable. The only other digital source I feed to the BIII is my TV over your Toslink module. But I have to turn the Volume on my pre way up have decent Volume. Now it happens that I forget to turn volume down before switching to I2S or turntable an music is so loud (fear to damage my speakers).

Is there a way to elevate the volume of the Toslink/Spdif module. I would like to dial it in to be nearly the same es my other sources.

BR

Branko