• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Introducing the Buffalo III-SE-Pro 9028/9038

Go to this link and look for the sales representative nearby. Then send them your request for datasheet.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Just wondering, I know you are using BBB to control your DAC. I am using, or at least trying to use arduino to do the controlling, but not quite able to get it to work. So, how are you doing yours? did you take the onboard controller and have your BBB control the dac? maybe thats just what I need.

Alex

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Just wondering, I know you are using BBB to control your DAC. I am using, or at least trying to use arduino to do the controlling, but not quite able to get it to work. So, how are you doing yours? did you take the onboard controller and have your BBB control the dac? maybe thats just what I need.

Alex
If you want to I2C-control the DAC, whether it is via Arduino or BBB, there is no need to use the onboard firmware. Just remove it.

For I2C control by BBB, I use executable shell scripts using I2C commands available on Linux. I think this had been already clarified in the Readme on my GitHub page.

Rgds,

External Controller on BIIIse Pro

If you want to I2C-control the DAC, whether it is via Arduino or BBB, there is no need to use the onboard firmware. Just remove it.

For I2C control by BBB, I use executable shell scripts using I2C commands available on Linux. I think this had been already clarified in the Readme on my GitHub page.
Rgds,

I got that part, I was able to get my arduino to communicate with the dac, my problem is, I could not even get it to play at least from SPDIF, Toslink, not I2S/DSD for now. My understanding is that you set or clear bits on the Dac's registers, but I am not sure which ones, that is why I am trying to get a datasheet for the 9038pro. I tried to duplicate the registers that dimdim used from his latest code, but it does not respond on mine. I tried the registers that Russ original on-board code uses, but I may not be using it correctly.

Would you mind sharing your scripts? I may learn something from it. All I am trying to do is to switch between spdif and I2S/DSD and set filters, dpll and so on programatically. If I can get this to run, I will have total control of the dac. I can have volume display and remote and such. You think you can help me on this one? I am not asking on how to program arduino, I am asking for the actual logic, which registers to set or clear, I can then send these commands to the dac via I2C.

Thanks again,
Alex

-snip-
Would you mind sharing your scripts? I may learn something from it. All I am trying to do is to switch between spdif and I2S/DSD and set filters, dpll and so on programatically. If I can get this to run, I will have total control of the dac. I can have volume display and remote and such. You think you can help me on this one? I am not asking on how to program arduino, I am asking for the actual logic, which registers to set or clear, I can then send these commands to the dac via I2C.

Thanks again,
Alex
In my case I provide particular shell scripts for DSD and SPDIF settings, for example, and can execute each of them on the fly alternatively on the BBB terminal.

As for this kind of input selection, the ES9028_38.h by Russ will be of help and probably you can find how to manage the register bits. Referring to the Buffalo.c will be also of help. Further more my cfg file has more direct answers for such settings (R1).

What is important for SPDIF setting, I think, is that Russ assigned SPDIF MUX to DATA3 (R11). Without proper setting for this, you can not get SPDIF connection. This is clearly written in the TPA blog.

For I2C control, the Hermes-BBB board is ideal because it is provided with isolated I2C header for noise-free I2C connection. This is why I'm persistent with controlling the DAC by shell scripts and occasionally by python scripts thanks to Frank.

BTW, possum64, a user of B3SEpro, wrote a beautiful Arduino sketch for B3SEpro, though aimed for 8-channel connection, that may also be of help for you. Please visit his Github page.

Rgds,

As for this kind of input selection, the ES9028_38.h by Russ will be of help and probably you can find how to manage the register bits. Referring to the Buffalo.c will be also of help. Further more my cfg file has more direct answers for such settings (R1).

What is important for SPDIF setting, I think, is that Russ assigned SPDIF MUX to DATA3 (R11). Without proper setting for this, you can not get SPDIF connection. This is clearly written in the TPA blog.

BTW, possum64, a user of B3SEpro, wrote a beautiful Arduino sketch for B3SEpro, though aimed for 8-channel connection, that may also be of help for you. Please visit his Github page.
Rgds,

Thanks for the info, I will take a look at possum64.

Alex

Rgds,

I think this is the key. Would you happen to know how to get a hold of possum64? There is an example there, but they are for dualmono, I just a single one, it would be nice to learn how to use his stuff correctly.

Thanks again,
Alex

Joined 2010
Paid Member
It's not illegal. If you signed an ESS NDA in order to receive the datasheet and then shared it, you'd be in violation of your NDA, but if you're not a party to the agreement then there's nothing restricting you from obtaining or sharing the information as an individual.

Wow, sorry, I did not know that, thanks for the info..
Just curious though, why would it be illegal? just to have some information.
Dont quite get it.

Regards,
Alex

Yes, the datasheet may be just a kind of mere technical information but it is not open to the public. If an owner of datasheet with signed NDA is going to give its copy to you, it means that he is going to breach this agreement.

I think obtaining the datasheet is very simple. Just find the email address of the dealer nearby and send a mail of request to them. A few days later they will send a paper of NDA as a PDF file. Just send back it after signing as an attachment in your mail. Then, they will send you a copy of datasheet.

Regards,

It's not illegal. If you signed an ESS NDA in order to receive the datasheet and then shared it, you'd be in violation of your NDA, but if you're not a party to the agreement then there's nothing restricting you from obtaining or sharing the information as an individual.

So, okay, how do I go about in getting one? So I am not a party to any agreement, how can I obtain this datasheet?

Thanks,
Alex

I think obtaining the datasheet is very simple. Just find the email address of the dealer nearby and send a mail of request to them. A few days later they will send a paper of NDA as a PDF file. Just send back it after signing as an attachment in your mail. Then, they will send you a copy of datasheet.

Regards,

I am in San Fran area, here in california, ESS have an office close by, I tried calling, but nobody answers, and no contact email provided. Well, I will try again.

Thanks for the info,
Alex