• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Introducing the Buffalo III-SE-Pro 9028/9038

Looking at an old ESS guide here
https://www.hobbielektronika.hu/forum/getfile.php?id=285448
I happened upon this quote
As detailed in the datasheet, the MCLK must be at least 386*Fs for SPDIF inputs and 192*Fs for
Serial/DSD inputs. For optimum jitter tolerance the MCLK should be at least 10% higher than this
theoretical MCLK minimum, this ensures audio clarity free from input clock jitter.
If operating with a synchronous MCLK, it is recommended to use an inverted MCLK. The inverted
synchronous MCLK ensures that the Sabre noise is as low as possible.
Based on this I have a few questions.
Firstly does the MCLK requirement apply to if 128fs mode is enabled?
Because for 44/16 music that's a 5.6448 MHz crystal.
Is there a downside to using a 5.6448 MHz crystal on the ES9038pro in 128fs mode?

Also does the inverted MCLK suggestion apply to their current models?

While I am still unable to use the BBB input to listen with my Buffalo-IIIsePro38 (separate problem: Problems with BBB-Hermes-Cronus for Buffalo-IIIsePro38 build.) I have some general questions concerning my future build:

1) I power my Buffalo-IIIsePro38 from a Low Current Dual Power Supply that was recommended when I bought it. However, the power supply gets very hot after a couple of minutes already. So, I thin switching to a single Centaur supply would be a better choice?

2) In addition to my BBB-Hermes-Cronus input, I plan to integrate a simple USB audio input in case I want to connect my laptop to the DAC. However, it is not meant for the main listening experiences, so I want to use a simple and cheap solution. Right know I already use SPDIF as input source from my laptop, so I thought I could use the same for my final build. I though about the miniDSP ministreamer, which converts USB to SPDIF signal. Then I will connect the Buffalo switch for I2C/SPDIF selection to a switch outside the case to control the input. Is this a good way to accomplish my goal?

Thanks!

Joined 2007
Paid Member
In addition to my BBB-Hermes-Cronus input, I plan to integrate a simple USB audio input in case I want to connect my laptop to the DAC. However, it is not meant for the main listening experiences, so I want to use a simple and cheap solution. Right know I already use SPDIF as input source from my laptop, so I thought I could use the same for my final build. I though about the miniDSP ministreamer, which converts USB to SPDIF signal. Then I will connect the Buffalo switch for I2C/SPDIF selection to a switch outside the case to control the input. Is this a good way to accomplish my goal?

Thanks!

The ministreamer is one inexpensive solution. It maxes out at 96kHz, so if you want to manage higher sample rates then perhaps its successor would be the better choice. I use the ministreamer to convert SPDIF into USB and then input USB into the BBB. It has been reliable and simple. They are no longer produced and last I looked, the only source of the older ministreamers was a few web shops in Europe.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
input USB into the BBB

and then input USB into the BBB. It has been reliable and simple.

I'd like to input USB audio from a PC into the BBB.

Currently input ethernet from PC into the BBB.

Would need to switch between ethernet & USB.

What do I need to do to accomplish this?

Setting code in BOTIC to accept USB audio?

Switching via BOTIC control rather than

a hardware switch.

-Thanks in advance :)

-snip- Right know I already use SPDIF as input source from my laptop, so I thought I could use the same for my final build. I though about the miniDSP ministreamer, which converts USB to SPDIF signal. Then I will connect the Buffalo switch for I2C/SPDIF selection to a switch outside the case to control the input. Is this a good way to accomplish my goal?

Thanks!

The simple solution to hook up SPDIF input to the B3SEpro would be:

1. Leave the dip switch SW1-1 in the OFF position.
2. Connect a switch between A0 (pin5) and GND (pin3) of the ext_IO header, which can select either SPDIF or serial(PCM) connection.

Please read he previous discussion in #562 to #564 with the pin assignment of the ext_IO header.

Regards,

I just connected a BIII pro se 9028 and have a problem. The mute led blinks only once. I first had it connected to an Amenero chronos rhea stack via ufl. Thinking this is where the issue is I disconnected it. When I powered it up with no input connected it's the same result. I was thinking that the mute LED should be lit.

The input voltage is 4.9 Vdc All the regulators get the same amount on the input. The output from all the regulators are good

3.58 from both sides of avcc
3.3 and 3.287 from the 3.3V Regs
1.29 for the 1.3 reg

What do I check next?

I just connected a BIII pro se 9028 and have a problem. The mute led blinks only once. I first had it connected to an Amenero chronos rhea stack via ufl. Thinking this is where the issue is I disconnected it. When I powered it up with no input connected it's the same result. I was thinking that the mute LED should be lit.

The input voltage is 4.9 Vdc All the regulators get the same amount on the input. The output from all the regulators are good

3.58 from both sides of avcc
3.3 and 3.287 from the 3.3V Regs
1.29 for the 1.3 reg

What do I check next?
Upon further checking, when the BIII module has power applied it will blow a fuse after 2-3 minutes. It will also show a dead short across VD for 2-3 seconds after blowing a fuse. When I put a dummy load on the PSU it's fine and doesn't blow a fuse at any time.

It looks like the BIII module has a serious fault. Any suggestions

Just tried the trusync firmware and noticed some issues.
The channels are swapped when using DSD in trusync mode.
Also when switching to "normal operation" on SW1 the dac does not lock.
No audible differences when switching between dac filters or when disabling OSF which probably means those switches aren't functional.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Russ: I am experiencing some volume control glitches with my BuffPRO 9038. Sometimes, at the start of a new playlist (album, etc) but not between tracks, there will be a louder than usual POP, and the volume will go way up (but apparently not to full scale, thank goodness). Then with further input to the volume knob (pot) it will drop to normal and then operate normally.
The 9018 never had a single instance of anything like this. Same source (USB).

Setup: BuffPRO/Amanero-Hermes-Cronus. DAC is AC grounded, to chassis, XLR pin one to chassis (AES recommended approach).

Any ideas?

Greetings @barrows and all,

Any further observations or thoughts on this volume-jump phenomenon? ...and do I recall correctly that you're also located where winter air can be very dry?

I've also seen volume jumps with 9028s but never on a 9018. I2C allows me to observe that registers x07 and x1b jump to 'unmute' and full volume (0x7f), respectively.

I'm working on the behavior now, and would be interested in any solutions you've found to help.

Best,

Frank

Last edited:
I...

Greetings @barrows and all,

Any further observations or thoughts on this volume-jump phenomenon? ...and do I recall correctly that you're also located where winter air can be very dry?

I've also seen volume jumps with 9028s but never on a 9018. I2C allows me to observe that registers x07 and x1b jump to 'unmute' and full volume (0x7f), respectively.

I'm working on the behavior now, and would be interested in any solutions you've found to help.

Best,

Frank

I cannot remember how, but I have solved the problem, and have not experienced it in a long, long time. I might have changed the grounding scheme or something, but I honestly cannot remember. Maybe it was the amanero firmware change...

[QUOTEHow does the ES9028 output current compare to that of the ES9018 (both in stereo mode)?
Thanks!][/QUOTE]

Hi Nic

It's the same, if I remember correctly. I'm using it in a Buffalo III Pro SE with Sen using the the fets you kindly matched for me. I was surprised by how much better it sounded that my Buffalo II with a 9018

Best

Paul N

Last edited: