• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Introducing the Buffalo III-SE-Pro 9028/9038

Joined 2007
Paid Member
1: 3.3, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 3.3 (V)
2: 3.25, 0.006, 1.6, 3.5, 0.001, 0.0 (V)

1: 3.3, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 1.5, 3.3 (V)
2: 3.3, 0.0, 3.3, 3.3, 3.3, 3.3, 3.3, 0.0, 0.0, 0.0, 3.3, 3.3 (V)

I enjoy my TPA gear so much that I like to help others enjoy theirs with whatever experience I can share. Because I don't use the firmware, I can't definitively guide you, but I suggest you look here, near the bottom:
Buffalo III SE (Stereo Edition) Pro

Then compare that with the table at:
GitHub - twistedpearaudio/Buffalo-III-SE-Pro-On-Board-Firmware

The way I read this is that position 5 on the EXT_IO ("bottom" row, 3rd from left) indicates dip switch 1 position 1. If so, and your reported voltages line up, then that critical input setting on your B3 is for SPDIF. We know that Cronus is not feeding it SPDIF. [But RCA output jacks with SPDIF signal were so commonplace in decade-old gear... Can't you scrounge something that will put out wired SPDIF? An old TV or receiver?] Anyway, if this 'read' is correct, the DAC should lock or make sound using input to the B3's SPDIF connection. It might be worth your while to scrounge any old piece of gear with SPDIF-out.

Now, is it OK to simply ground EXT_IO position 5 considering your dip switch damage? :eek:

That's for Russ or Brian.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
@Stefanhgm, I just saw Russ' statement that 3.3v = off = open. I believe that reverses what I just said above. If I interpret your measurements correctly, then the B3 is running in serial mode, using I2S at 32bits. Still, Russ' suggestion to test SPDIF seems not too tough for a DIYer...

Last edited:
Take a look...

I use Dexa as a preregulator before the Avcc. Is that a bad idea?

Take a look at this website:

belleson.com

They have comparisons of various regulators (measurements).

As a pre-reg, the Dexa is likely fine, as the second stage regs are going to matter more to the circuit. I like using the Bellesons a lot, and they have a wide range of regulators to suit just about every possible need, from low current to high, etc. I find them to be superb.

+1!
I am waiting for the Sync firmware to be available before ordering 9038 pro board.

Btw, demand for this firmware is increasing. I counted at least 4 other users interested in PureSync so far;
Barrows, Luca72c, Greg Steward and Blitz :)

Me too, but only if it can include input switching to allow for both i2S and SPDF inputs. My modified version of the current 'Beta' version does this but I am sure that the final TPA firmware will be superior.

yes

+1!
I am waiting for the Sync firmware to be available before ordering 9038 pro board.

Btw, demand for this firmware is increasing. I counted at least 4 other users interested in PureSync so far;
Barrows, Luca72c, Greg Steward and Blitz :)

+1! also, my understanding is that with the sync mode firmware in place one can use a lower master clock rate to suit even very high data rates? I am interested in DSD 256 and 512 specifically.

+1! also, my understanding is that with the sync mode firmware in place one can use a lower master clock rate to suit even very high data rates? I am interested in DSD 256 and 512 specifically.

Indeed, that is also my understanding. For DSD;
In Async mode, one needs minimum 3 x Fs clock masterclock
Whereas in Sync mode, one needs 2 x Fs clock masterclock

Practically, this would make a big difference, e.g. for DSD 256 (~11-12 Mhz)
In Async mode, minimum master clock is 33-36 Mhz and since these are rather less common frequencies, one probably would end up getting more common 45-49 Mhz clocks
However, in sync mode, they can work with 22-24 Mhz clocks.

Anybody please correct my if I am wrong.

PureSync Firmware interested users

Me too, but only if it can include input switching to allow for both i2S and SPDF inputs. My modified version of the current 'Beta' version does this but I am sure that the final TPA firmware will be superior.

Great, the list is growing!
So far at least 6 users;
- barrows
- Luca72c
- Greg Steward
- Blitz
- MartinC700
- syracuze

I am hoping that this will encourage Russ and Brian to publish the new Firmware soon :)

Take a look at this website:

belleson.com

They have comparisons of various regulators (measurements).

As a pre-reg, the Dexa is likely fine, as the second stage regs are going to matter more to the circuit. I like using the Bellesons a lot, and they have a wide range of regulators to suit just about every possible need, from low current to high, etc. I find them to be superb.

Had a Lot off problems with Belleson oscilating or not working at All. I use the Mini for Avcc in a Buffalo dac.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Can anyone recommend a simple and cheap way to get an SPIDF signal for debugging the Buffalo? What about the ministreamer: USB Audio Streaming : miniStreamer ?

Glad to hear the B3 works with SPDIF. My only suggestion going forward is to double check *every* connection, voltage and polarity, pin alignment, socket seating, ... everything!

Then - if I were you - I would discontinue testing with the volumio distro. I'm correct that you've never heard a peep from it, right? I suggest you change to the basic MPD-based botic distro until you're getting sound from B3. Make sure 'aplay -l' and 'aplay -L' report correct ALSA pathways are present. Then use speaker-test or 'play' (a SoX utility) or 'aplay' (including appropriate parameters!) to debug. Only when you know your hardware is working would I switch to a different BBB operating system or player software.

You mentioned the miniStreamer - it is a versatile little board. When all is running, you can use a miniStreamer to input SPDIF into the BBB. Then any ALSA tweaks can be applied to (converted) SPDIF inputs as well as normal PCM. [I use one to input from a TV into my BBB, which then performs speaker crossover duties using ALSA filters. However, I don't use Volumio so no guarantees there!]

Last edited:
How to wire XLR to chassis?

Hey ... really enjoying the B3SE with Mercury so far, best DAC I've heard! (and I've had quite a few from Ayre, Bryston, PS Audio etc)

I've been using SE, and want to wire up the XLR outs to the chassis.
I'm a bit confused about this though, and need a bit of assistance.

Initially, I thought that I need to use a shielded twisted pair and wire like so:
Mercury GND -> Socket (1) with Shield
Mercury (+) -> Socket (2) with one wire
Mercury (-) -> Socket (3) with second wire

I've found this RANE article, and it recommends to connect as so:
Mercury GND -> Chassis
Socket (1) -> Chassis
(shield seems redundant in this scenario).
Sound System Interconnection

What is the correct approach? I don't currently have anything going to Chassis except IEC ground.
Attaching a pic of my build.
Thanks !

Attachments

• 2018-09-20 01.57.32.jpg
    2018-09-20 01.57.32.jpg
    996.8 KB · Views: 371
Glad to hear the B3 works with SPDIF. My only suggestion going forward is to double check *every* connection, voltage and polarity, pin alignment, socket seating, ... everything!

Then - if I were you - I would discontinue testing with the volumio distro. I'm correct that you've never heard a peep from it, right? I suggest you change to the basic MPD-based botic distro until you're getting sound from B3. Make sure 'aplay -l' and 'aplay -L' report correct ALSA pathways are present. Then use speaker-test or 'play' (a SoX utility) or 'aplay' (including appropriate parameters!) to debug. Only when you know your hardware is working would I switch to a different BBB operating system or player software.

You mentioned the miniStreamer - it is a versatile little board. When all is running, you can use a miniStreamer to input SPDIF into the BBB. Then any ALSA tweaks can be applied to (converted) SPDIF inputs as well as normal PCM. [I use one to input from a TV into my BBB, which then performs speaker crossover duties using ALSA filters. However, I don't use Volumio so no guarantees there!]

I followed your advice and used the prepared Debian distro including Botic by twluke: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/twisted-pear/258254-support-botic-linux-driver-258.html#post5515941. Below are the outputs of the commands you mentioned.

debian@arm:~$ aplay -l
**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: Botic [Botic], device 0: external botic-hifi-0 []
Subdevices: 1/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0

debian@arm:~$ aplay -L
null
Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
default:CARD=Botic
Botic,
Default Audio Device
sysdefault:CARD=Botic
Botic,
Default Audio Device
dmix:CARD=Botic,DEV=0
Botic,
Direct sample mixing device
dsnoop:CARD=Botic,DEV=0
Botic,
Direct sample snooping device
hw:CARD=Botic,DEV=0
Botic,
Direct hardware device without any conversions
plughw:CARD=Botic,DEV=0
Botic,
Hardware device with all software conversions

debian@arm:~$ speaker-test

speaker-test 1.1.3

Playback device is default
Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 1 channels
Using 16 octaves of pink noise
Rate set to 48000Hz (requested 48000Hz)
Buffer size range from 16 to 786432
Period size range from 8 to 393216
Using max buffer size 786432
Periods = 4
was set period_size = 196608
was set buffer_size = 786432
0 - Front Left
Time per period = 10.378743
0 - Front Left
Time per period = 10.239861
0 - Front Left
Time per period = 10.239897
0 - Front Left
Time per period = 10.239885
0 - Front Left
Time per period = 10.239877
0 - Front Left
Time per period = 10.239869
0 - Front Left
Time per period = 10.239883
0 - Front Left
Time per period = 10.239875
I checked everything on Cronus. Looks okay for me :-/. When I run "speaker-test" I cannot measure a signal at D1, D2, BCK.

Still no sound. I attached a picture of the current situation. Happy for every help!

Attachments

• IMG_20181015_222534.jpg
    IMG_20181015_222534.jpg
    1,013.4 KB · Views: 303
Last edited:
number 2

Hey ... really enjoying the B3SE with Mercury so far, best DAC I've heard! (and I've had quite a few from Ayre, Bryston, PS Audio etc)

I've been using SE, and want to wire up the XLR outs to the chassis.
I'm a bit confused about this though, and need a bit of assistance.

Initially, I thought that I need to use a shielded twisted pair and wire like so:
Mercury GND -> Socket (1) with Shield

I've found this RANE article, and it recommends to connect as so:
Mercury GND -> Chassis
Socket (1) -> Chassis
(shield seems redundant in this scenario).
Sound System Interconnection

What is the correct approach? I don't currently have anything going to Chassis except IEC ground.
Attaching a pic of my build.
Thanks !

I prefer to use connection scheme number 2 above, this conforms with AES guidelines for wiring "balanced" connections, and I wire all my components this way. Keep the pin 1 to chassis connection as short as possible. I run a short wire from ground of the Mercury to the chassis, and make sure that all chassis panels are electrically continuous, which may require removing some anodizing or paint. Essentially this scheme assumes that your XLR cable is wired "correctly", that is with a twisted pair (or perhaps quad) for pins 2, and 3, and that pin 1 is connected to a full coverage braided shield, ideally with no drain wire. Here is a great paper on grounding, differential signaling, and balanced connections from Bruno Putzeys

Attachments

• The G Word.pdf
    731.5 KB · Views: 91
Last edited: