• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Introducing the Buffalo III-SE-Pro 9028/9038

Joined 2004
Paid Member
You mean the four 2x2 connectors I circled with red? Where do I have to connect the external battery then?
=======================================
Yes that 2x2 connector must connect to the BBB for the battery
to protect the BBB on shut down.

Battery goes into the connector next to where you have the 5v

external ps currently wired in. Do be mindful of + - connection.;)
To be honest tho, I had the battery connected where you have yours

now. I think the two are linked, as I recall. I later opted to use the

connectors which made it easy to remove the battery if needed.

474026d1427406597-hermes-bbb-botic-cape-beaglebone-black-hermes-bbb-jpg

Last edited:
Confirmed dead boards, or just funky LED behavior?

The BBB does not start up/blink or anything with the mini-USB power adapter I used to power it so far. So, I considered it destroyed.

The Hermes LEDs do not work anymore. If a working BBB would be necessary to light up this four LEDs this could be due to the broken BBB. If the four LEDs should work without the BBB then the Hermes could also be damaged :(.

Q1. So, should the Hermes LEDs also work without a BBB connected?

Q2. Any other suggestions I can ensure the Hermes or BBB or even the other boards are not dead?

Yes that 2x2 connector must connect to the BBB for the battery
to protect the BBB on shut down.

Battery goes into the connector next to where you have the 5v

external ps currently wired in. Do be mindful of + - connection.;)
To be honest tho, I had the battery connected where you have yours

now. I think the two are linked, as I recall. I later opted to use the connectors which made it easy to remove the battery if needed.

Thanks for this info. Yes I have seen people connect the battery where I did. I guess my next run with a new BBB would be completely without battery first.

Q3. For me it seems the (maybe wrongly connected) battery was not the problem for destroying the BBB(/Hermes). Any other suggestions of what I should check that could have caused my problems?

Thanks for your help guys!

Q3. For me it seems the (maybe wrongly connected) battery was not the problem for destroying the BBB(/Hermes). Any other suggestions of what I should check that could have caused my problems?
Thanks for your help guys!

Maybe, if the problem was at switch on and not at shutdown. But, if you didn't solder the square 4 pin connectors to hermes and BBB, where did battery current go?
May it have caused some other power problems?
Russ is needed to answer that...

About Q1, i cannot answer because i never tested hermes without BBB. Russ is needed for this answer, too...

And most of all, a clear, comprehensive, concise, step-by-step user guide is strongly needed for these products too, considering it was longly expected...

Last edited:
I am using an amb sigma11 (at 4.88V) to power the Buffalo.
Is it OK to use it to power the Chronus as well?
I am using the 9V transformer from TPA and the s11 does not have any built-in current limits.

If it can supply the current, sure. You could even tap power for the Cronus from the Buffalo's I2C header if that offers better wire routing.

Russ, Brian could someone of you please answer my questions?

It would be best to post this in the Hermes-BBB thread.

This thread is not on that topic.

That said - you would definitely need to have a BBB connected to see much happen unless you send signals yourself. :)

The design is open source - you can see the schematic and test those points yourself if you like.

Cheers!
Russ

Not canceled - but was shelved for a bit. We plan on starting a thread to discuss design goals because there needs to be some clarity as to what we want to design/deliver. i have gotten a lot of usage questions that would best be answered by making the design process more public. I will start a thread this evening to discuss where I am in the process and where we would like community input. Thanks for the question!

We are also working on other exciting things - so we need to make sure that the priorities are aligned with what our builders really want.

Cheers!
Russ

Not canceled - but was shelved for a bit. We plan on starting a thread to discuss design goals because there needs to be some clarity as to what we want to design/deliver. i have gotten a lot of usage questions that would best be answered by making the design process more public. I will start a thread this evening to discuss where I am in the process and where we would like community input. Thanks for the question!

We are also working on other exciting things - so we need to make sure that the priorities are aligned with what our builders really want.

Cheers!
Russ

Good to known ...

I am available for help in the testing

Regards
Marco

I now fixed the problem with the BBB and Hermes-BBB in my Buffalo-IIIsePro38 build. However, I still don't get an audio output signal.

I use the last Volumio from volumio.org (Jun 11, 2017) with "Botic" as output device. For debugging I let Volumio play a song at a high volume. So far I measured the Placid HD-BP (2x15V) and LCDPS (2x5V) and the outputs of the Tridents, which are 2.2, 3.3, 3.3, 2 x 3.6V. So this looks good to me. I also measured to connection between the Buffalo and the Mercury, which gives me a constant voltage of 1.7V.

I also use a jumper between "3.3" and "PB4" instead of the volume pot.

What else could I check to identify the problem? Especially, how can I ensure the Cronus is feeding a signal into the Buffalo?

Also the LCDPS heatsink gets very hot after 1-2 minutes already. I just adjusted them to 5V. Is there anything else I must change?

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_20180928_213134.jpg
    IMG_20180928_213134.jpg
    1,001.7 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_20180928_213141.jpg
    IMG_20180928_213141.jpg
    957.8 KB · Views: 284
  • IMG_20180928_213147.jpg
    IMG_20180928_213147.jpg
    1,004.4 KB · Views: 272
Is the output of the LCDPS staying at 5V? It may be running out of current. At some point you might want to replace the small value resistor (I think it's 1R) on the LCDPS with a jumper - so that you don't have a huge voltage drop after it. Only do this if it is actually running out of steam :)

You may also want to use a more stout supply like the Centaur. Centaur was purpose designed for higher current loads like this application.

Also you should install the indicator LEDs on the B3SE-pro - so you can see if things are locking and/or auto-mute is on.

Cheers!
Russ

Last edited: