• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Introducing the Buffalo III-SE-Pro 9028/9038

1. Related to the connection between Cronus and the Buffalo board. There are 2x12 connection pins, but I only got two 2x10 female connector. I will just cut one apart to build my own additional 2x2. Its correct to connect all 2x12 pins, right?

The 2x10 header is designed to mate directly to the 2x10 header on the older 8-Channel Buffalo. You do not need to use it at all for the Buffalo-III Pro.

2. Are the two 3,3V regulators identical? So, the connectors DCVV and VDD_XO are interchangable?

They are identical.

3. Is there anything else except the male header to connect to the regulators? There are additional contacts and I saw soem pictures with LEDs.

No, just the 3-pin header. The LEDs were on older versions of the Tridents.

4. Are the connectors LOCK and A_MUTE on the Buffalo board intended for the two LEDs? Can I use them to show that the Buffalo is powered on at the case? Or which one am I supposed to use for that purpose?

They are for the LEDs. Neither one will indicate power specifically, but one or the other will be on in regular use. For power indication, I would tap power from your power switch or a power supply rail.

5. Is it a common choice to use the volume poti at the Buffalo? I think controlling the volume via software and at my amp will suffice or am I missing something?

The digital volume control of the ES90x8 DAC will give you the best performance. You can certainly control volume in other ways, depending on your system. If you do not use the volume control, be sure to use the included shunt jumper on the three pin header, which effectively sets the DAC to full-scale output.

The line on the cardboard marks the front border of the case. The piece of newspaper is the missing Placid HD BP Power Supply. And there still needs to get an SSD in there for storing my music. I want to put it below the beagle board. What do you think about these two setups? Is it a problem to stack the transformers?

You will probably want to spin the DAC around to keep I2S signals as short as possible.

Keep in mind that the magnetic poles from toroidal transformers radiate with the axis of the hole, so "aiming" them at your circuit boards (second picture) will result in more risk of noise (still very low risk). There is no issue stacking them, per se, but it may result in more heat (again, low risk).

I want to add Sample rate to the firmware on the `WithDisplay` branch.
It looks like its a matter of reading R66-69 and deriving it from there?

Besides that, what is the recommended workflow for developing firmware for the Buffalo?
I cloned the repo and loaded it into AtmelStudio and it builds fine.
Is there a way to simulate the Buffalo board in order to debug and step through the code?

Well, I finally got the Amanero/Hermes/Cronus working (thanks Brian) and have it interfaced to the Buffalo-iii-SE-Pro/Mercury. Operation is sync using the 128fs firmware.

So I can give my full, considered review of this dac now, taking direct feed from the SE outputs into my Focal Utopia headphones which are pleasingly easy to drive.

It's stunning. Thanks TPA.

I want to add Sample rate to the firmware on the `WithDisplay` branch.
It looks like its a matter of reading R66-69 and deriving it from there?

Besides that, what is the recommended workflow for developing firmware for the Buffalo?
I cloned the repo and loaded it into AtmelStudio and it builds fine.
Is there a way to simulate the Buffalo board in order to debug and step through the code?

It's kinda tricky in PureSunc mode - because you don't have a single master clock. You would need to pass that info to the controller (what clock base is being used).

I develop firmware mostly on my mac and use homebrew to install "osx-cross/avr/avr-binutils" and " osx-cross/avr/avr-gcc"

I tend to use Eclipse IDE with CDT and AVR support.

I am not aware of a way to simulate an ES9028/38 :) - but hey that would be cool. I use an i2C analyzer or display etc and echo back info debugging.

Cheers!
Russ

Well, I finally got the Amanero/Hermes/Cronus working (thanks Brian) and have it interfaced to the Buffalo-iii-SE-Pro/Mercury. Operation is sync using the 128fs firmware.

So I can give my full, considered review of this dac now, taking direct feed from the SE outputs into my Focal Utopia headphones which are pleasingly easy to drive.

It's stunning. Thanks TPA.

Thank you! So glad to hear that! Enjoy!

Cheers!
Russ

digital volume control of the ES90x8 DAC

Hi Brian, I would like to replace with a better quality digital volume control potentiometer that I found in your kit. Your is linear from 4,7Kohm and in my surplus I have an excellent linear 10Kohm. I think it may be fine anyway, but I prefer your opinion. Thank

Hi Brian, I would like to replace with a better quality digital volume control potentiometer that I found in your kit. Your is linear from 4,7Kohm and in my surplus I have an excellent linear 10Kohm. I think it may be fine anyway, but I prefer your opinion. Thank

That should be fine. It is simply acting as a voltage divider. I would not go beyond 10K though.

That pot is not in the signal path at all - it forms a voltage divider that used only seen by the controller ADC. The volume control itself is purely digital in the DAC itself based on a register. Changing the pot will have absolutely no effect on the audio signal.

Still you can use any pot you like 2K to 10K should be OK. Just please don't expect any audible changes - because no audio signal is presented to the pot - ever. :)

Cheers!
Russ

^^ thanks barrows.

I got a replacement Buffalo board but unfortunately am still having trouble getting it to work.
I connected the power supplies to the Buffalo and Mercury, and connected Amanero with regular wires to the Buffalo.
On initial power on, after about 10 seconds I started smelling something so I immediately powered off, the 1.3V Trident seemed to be very hot.

I double checked all connections and everything looked correct.
I tried reflowing some joints and turned on again. The 1.3V Trident does not get hot any more and is outputting 0V. (input is 5.16V)
VDD_XO, DVCC and AVCC have correct voltages.

Measuring resistance on the VDD GND-OUT pins, I get 300ohm in one direction, and open circuit in the other direction.
Can someone confirm if this expected? I'm trying to determine if the issue is with the Buffalo board or with the 1.3 Trident.

Thanks

Hello there. I've had my buffalo on the bench until today. Last I checked it was working perfectly but today it does not produce a signal.
My set-up is Amanero>Ian's McFifo> Ians McDualXo board>Buffalo dac.
At first I noticed the Amanero was not sending any data, eventually I managed to get it to send data all the way to the buffalo board but there was still no signal at the dac output.
Now the Amanero sends data to the fifo but it does not appear at the buffalo board data pins.
I am not a digital guy, I can't begin to understand this weirdness.
First no data no sound, then full data no sound, now there is data but it doesn't reach the dac.
Any idea what could be going on?

Hello there. I've had my buffalo on the bench until today. Last I checked it was working perfectly but today it does not produce a signal.
My set-up is Amanero>Ian's McFifo> Ians McDualXo board>Buffalo dac.
At first I noticed the Amanero was not sending any data, eventually I managed to get it to send data all the way to the buffalo board but there was still no signal at the dac output.
Now the Amanero sends data to the fifo but it does not appear at the buffalo board data pins.
I am not a digital guy, I can't begin to understand this weirdness.
First no data no sound, then full data no sound, now there is data but it doesn't reach the dac.
Any idea what could be going on?

9 times out of 10, this is an issue with wiring connections that have become loose. If they all appear okay, the best way to diagnose is to start simple, then add complexity one piece at a time.

Try feeding the Amanero directly to the Buffalo. If that works, then add the Ian boards back in.

Connected the Amanero to the DAC.
FSCLK >D1
Data>D2
BCLK>DCLK
GND>GND
Connected the on-board XO 3.3v supply.
Reflashed the amanero to non-slave mode.
Data is being sent on all pins.
Still no sound :(

I haven't actually gotten my own Buffalo to work yet but things to try based on what I've read here:
1) Are all the voltages on the Tridents correct?
2) Are you using onboard volume control? If not you need to jumper PB4-3.3 on ADC
3) Toggle 1 on SW1 should be OFF for i2c (default is ON)

Voltages are correct.
I'm using volume control but adjusting the volume does not make a difference.
Toggle 1 on SW1 is off and all switches other than toggle 8 on SW2 are on.
As I turn the volume pot down the DC voltage of the negative output rises toward VCC and the positive output goes down toward ground. Is it supposed to do this?

Last edited: