• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Introducing the Buffalo III-SE-Pro 9028/9038

We are aiming for the next few months. There is a close cousin to Mercury planned for 8 channel use. Mercury could be used - but there is a more efficient solution.

Cheers!
Russ

Looking forward to the 8-channel version. It would be nice if the DAC input were directly pin-compatible with the output of Cronus... Any chance of this happening?

Thank you,

Andrey

Looking to upgrade my Buffalo 3SE to the new 9028 board, retaining my Legato (at least for now) but also need to ensure the power supply arrangements upstream of the Tridents could cope with the upgrade.

The website states power requirements as '5.0VDC @ 750mA for powering onboard regulator' - is that for both the 9028 and 9038?

I currently use a Salas Reflektor-D shunt regulator to power the Buffalo 3SE board but that seems to have a maximum current capability of 600mA so probably a stumbling block.

Looking to upgrade my Buffalo 3SE to the new 9028 board, retaining my Legato (at least for now) but also need to ensure the power supply arrangements upstream of the Tridents could cope with the upgrade.

The website states power requirements as '5.0VDC @ 750mA for powering onboard regulator' - is that for both the 9028 and 9038?

I currently use a Salas Reflektor-D shunt regulator to power the Buffalo 3SE board but that seems to have a maximum current capability of 600mA so probably a stumbling block.

The 9038 uses more current than the 9028.

Yes you will definitely want a supply capable of delivering more current than that.

We have a new version of the LCDPs that uses new lower noise regulators that can deliver up to 2A with proper heatsinking. That is what I am using right now - because it's nice not to have to adjust for maximum current and then just waste current most of the time :)

I strongly recommend people consider using the new LCDPS - especially if you use Cronus. Power the Cronus with one side and the Buffalo with the other.

Cheers!
Russ

Thanks Russ.

We have a new version of the LCDPs that uses new lower noise regulators that can deliver up to 2A with proper heatsinking. That is what I am using right now - because it's nice not to have to adjust for maximum current and then just waste current most of the time :)

I strongly recommend people consider using the new LCDPS - especially if you use Cronus. Power the Cronus with one side and the Buffalo with the other.

Is that the LCDP unit listed on the website now or a new arrival?

Hello, just a bunch of practical questions:
1. Are BIIIse pro dimensions identical to previous BIIIse?
2. To power BIIIse pro, can we use a Placid HD from previous BIIIse build as is or some modifications are needed (assuming it is properly heatsinked)? In particular, has shunt current to be raised? How much?
3. Will BIIIse pro have same SQ as new BIVse or there will be an improvement? Changes will be only in system functionalities or the dac will be better optimized (i mean PS, AVCC, clock, jitter correction, etc...)? Dimensions will be greater?
4. Has 9038 BIIIse pro only higher output current than 9028 one? Does the higher current analog stage bring better SQ, using the same tubes I/V output stage (for example)?
Thanks

You can easily get 1A out reflector if you use different mosfets and proper heat sinks. It is described somewhere in reflector builds thread.

I forgot:
5. There is an updated integration guide for BIIIse pro, or at least a guide for configuring its dip switches and new functionalities?
No, there is no updated integration guide. I am pretty much done renovating the house however, so it could be in the next few weeks there's some time to look at old projects like my BIIISE/Chronos setup, or even a 9028/9038 guide. Russ/Brian will have to send me some information and preferably pictures however.