Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 16th January 2019, 09:25 PM   #871
drone is offline drone  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by francolargo View Post
Your question is a good one and I wonder if 3 boxes are the best solution. I think the answer depends on factors you have not mentioned. I do not remember any posts describing Teleporters being used for transmitting the Cronus master clock to BIII in synchronous mode. Itís something that I might be interested in trying except that, a) the new B3s sound so great running asynchronously, and b) my Cronus is older and does not have the clock buffer. I tried teleporting the Cronus master clock but it is not robust enough without the buffer. Thus, I would need replacement parts to test master-via-teleporter, and I have another reason to doubt a huge benefit: with teleporters for I2S into B3 I can use the lowest setting for DPLL bandwidth (whereas I believe synch mode turns that function off). So, in terms of Ďbest practicesí for synchronous mode, it seems for now that you should put Cronus in the same box as B3 and probably eliminate the teleporter pair for I2S between Cronus and the B3.

Of course, each of us enjoys the hobby differently. The work of making nice enclosures does little for the quality of sound, so I donít have much patience for that labor. [But I enjoy programming the BBB while others donít.] Better to eliminate unnecessary enclosures, and putting your BBB/Hermes/Cronus in the same enclosure with the B3 also would be best for running in synchronous mode. Otto takes only a little room, and could be controlled by the BBB if you wanted. I would solder-in Otto with very short connections for the I2S. IF you interact directly with the BBB, another option would be to eliminate Otto and process SPDIF through the BBB via USB.

Enjoy the process,

Frank
Hi Frank.

Thank you of your suggestions.
My first goal (some years ago ) was to build a somewhat "modular" system with one DAC in its own box and all sources outside. So if I change sources i do not have to touch the DAC. After trying with waveIO and amanero in the box I am back to my start. The CD-player would still be outside. (btw: did not try I2S from it yet. only spdif). Also it is time to put things in a "nice" enclosure in our living room. So my "final" setup would be a DAC, a CD-Player, a network-player and turntable. And I can play with every piece without touching the others.

How would I pass spdif over the BBB to the Buffalo?

Branko
Old 16th January 2019, 11:05 PM   #872
twluke is offline twluke  Japan
diyAudio Member

Introducing the Buffalo III-SE-Pro 9028/9038
Quote:
-snip-
I do not remember any posts describing Teleporters being used for transmitting the Cronus master clock to BIII in synchronous mode.
Hi Frank,

When based on my previous experience, I can say that it would be feasible to transmit the MCLK on the Cronus to B3SEpros via Teleporter as long as the DAC is set to pure sync mode (128fs) by the beta firmware for pure sync by Russ. I confirmed it when I built a B3SEpro(9028), which is now part of a dual mono system and can not be used to reproduce this feasibility for now.

Just my two cents.

#BTW the I2C control is working well, thanks!
Old 16th January 2019, 11:54 PM   #873
francolargo is offline francolargo  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drone View Post
Hi Frank.

Thank you of your suggestions.
My first goal (some years ago ) was to build a somewhat "modular" system with one DAC in its own box and all sources outside.
...snip...
Also it is time to put things in a "nice" enclosure in our living room. So my "final" setup would be a DAC, a CD-Player, a network-player and turntable. And I can play with every piece without touching the others.

How would I pass spdif over the BBB to the Buffalo?

Branko
Hi Branko,

The beautiful metal cabinets that some DIYers make are quite impressive! If you like that part of the hobby then your modular setup will give much enjoyment!

Nice of twluke to clarify and report success moving a master clock into B3 via Teleporter!

As for why I manage SPDIF via BBB, my BBB is both a network player AND then the system's digital crossover (for 6 amp channels -> 6 drivers). The inexpensive SPDIF -> USB converter I use is no longer available but a newer one is available from the same vendor. The method is simple but it requires that a script run on the BBB to specify the input and direct the output. I use this method to play audio from any optical source at very low latency - short enough for video synch.

If your controls for your system could include an interface to the BBB command line (to switch between network player and SPDIF), then this method is about as easy as using an Otto switch. Here is an old post describing the setup: Control of BBB-based audio appliances

Cheers,

Frank
Old 17th January 2019, 07:02 PM   #874
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ White View Post

So one cool option is that the ES9028/38 allows you to assign GPIOs to SPDIF input. The default firmware could be altered to allow for that - then you could have 2 SPDIF sources (one consumer level coax, and one TTL/CMOS) without needing any external switching. If anyone is interested I can create a branch that does that.

Cheers!
Russ
Hi,

any chance for that Firmware branch with two spdif inputs?
How would I have to select sources (1 I2S, one spdif consumer level, one spdif TTL)? would the consumer level spdif go to the Ķfl input and TTL to the GPIO pins?

thx

Branko
Old 17th January 2019, 07:22 PM   #875
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hi Branko,

The beautiful metal cabinets that some DIYers make are quite impressive! If you like that part of the hobby then your modular setup will give much enjoyment!

Nice of twluke to clarify and report success moving a master clock into B3 via Teleporter!

As for why I manage SPDIF via BBB, my BBB is both a network player AND then the system's digital crossover (for 6 amp channels -> 6 drivers). The inexpensive SPDIF -> USB converter I use is no longer available but a newer one is available from the same vendor. The method is simple but it requires that a script run on the BBB to specify the input and direct the output. I use this method to play audio from any optical source at very low latency - short enough for video synch.

If your controls for your system could include an interface to the BBB command line (to switch between network player and SPDIF), then this method is about as easy as using an Otto switch. Here is an old post describing the setup: Control of BBB-based audio appliances

Cheers,

Frank
Sooner or later I will try each way

ATM Would like to connect sources to the DAC one by one. So if I take off i.e. the BBB the spdif source can play on. As for sending master clock over teleporter I will try first async mode. If everything works out well then maybe sync. My controller (i2C with isolator shield) will be (for now) an Arduino Due inside the DAC enclosure with its USB reachable without the need to open the box. So I could play with the Doc registers and several Frontplate/Display designs.

BR

Branko

Introducing the Buffalo III-SE-Pro 9028/9038Hide this!Advertise here!