• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Introducing the Buffalo III-SE-Pro 9028/9038

That would work (with word length at 32bit), but using 24/16 bit sources should work just fine as long as the correct format (I2S/LJ/RJ) is selected.

I tried upsampling everything to 32 bits (setting BIIIpro to 32 bits input), but nothing changes: after a (quite long) while i get a lock light when playback is stopped, then lock ceases as soon as i start playing...
Absolutely no output, not even noises...
Using Amanero, instead, great sound!

-snip-
Input is from a stock Amanero via Cronus/Hermes,

I'm just wondering what this "stock Amanero" will mean. From my experience, the most stable firmware is 1096c if not intended to play DSD512 of big endianness on linux. The firmware other than 1096c caused some problem in the SQ so far in my case. To evaluate your TrueSync system, the transport should be secured. In this meaning, Hermes-BBB is superior to Hermes-Amanero, though this is only my humble opinion.

Regards,

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I was wondering if anyone here has experience with the Opus, and whether dual mono Opus with Mercury (or Legato) is still competitive in the 2018 DAC world.

Since you ask for opinion, I don't mind speaking up.

If you tend to think that "the good is the enemy of the best", then the answer is no. I think Opus would not sooth the audiophile itch. But people listen differently and have different expectations, so I wouldn't sell Opus short with current clock-correct renderers, etc.

Some years back I enjoyed dual mono opus DACs for quite a while. ...and when buffalo (9018) came out I used Buffalo for mid/highs and Opus for bass only, injecting raw Opus output directly into balanced amp channels. To this day, that remains the best bass punch and tightness I've enjoyed. But the overall sound of the new ESS Pro chips is simply in a different league. If your other gear is all high resolution, the TPA board of choice is the new B3 Pro. If your other gear is 'pretty good', probably you would still be surprised by the new Buffalo. It's fundamentally better.

Since you ask for opinion, I don't mind speaking up.

If you tend to think that "the good is the enemy of the best", then the answer is no. I think Opus would not sooth the audiophile itch. But people listen differently and have different expectations, so I wouldn't sell Opus short with current clock-correct renderers, etc.

Some years back I enjoyed dual mono opus DACs for quite a while. ...and when buffalo (9018) came out I used Buffalo for mid/highs and Opus for bass only, injecting raw Opus output directly into balanced amp channels. To this day, that remains the best bass punch and tightness I've enjoyed. But the overall sound of the new ESS Pro chips is simply in a different league. If your other gear is all high resolution, the TPA board of choice is the new B3 Pro. If your other gear is 'pretty good', probably you would still be surprised by the new Buffalo. It's fundamentally better.

@francolargo Thanks for sharing!
I'm currently using the Ayre Codex which is based on ES9018.. I think its wonderful but I have the DIY itch for a DAC. Based on your assessment, seems like the new Buffalo is the way to go.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
If your other gear is 'pretty good', probably you would still be surprised by the new Buffalo. It's fundamentally better.

I say this because just yesterday I got some inexpensive substitute speakers installed while I rebuild my 'good stuff'. I'm like... What??? Cheap mids and tweets straight from the box and they sound THIS good??? It seems that one of the improvements in the ESS products is that they put out less of the junk that amplifies into a lack of clarity, especially from 'ordinary drivers'.

Absolutely - I am using it right now :)

I wonder then why I have problems with noise going sync mode - I checked that my chip re-programming was working by burning a copy of the standard firmware and that worked fine. Do you think it could be noise being injected into the digital side from the Arduino that pulls up or down the Port Expander GPIO pins to control inputs and settings?

I wonder then why I have problems with noise going sync mode - I checked that my chip re-programming was working by burning a copy of the standard firmware and that worked fine. Do you think it could be noise being injected into the digital side from the Arduino that pulls up or down the Port Expander GPIO pins to control inputs and settings?

I am going go guess wiring, as it is the most common cause of noise with I2S lines.

Hmm... The wiring is very straightforward, all the connection are u.fl, the digital lines being 50mm and the clock 100mm long. The clock cable does run close to the 9038 so perhaps its picking up some interference? Could interference cause the noise to start as the occasional click and then gets progressively worse worse?

Hi all,

Just starting on the swap from Buff11 to the new Buff111SE Pro - and seek advice on the preferred switch settings for SW1 and SW2. I'm running SP/DIF in - outputting to Legato.

Thanks Russ and Brian for a terrific DAC - the Buff11 has worked flawlessly for many years.

Cheers.

Buff111SE pro now in place - with all switches set to the default "on" position. Sounds fantastic, even without burn in! An excellent upgrade - cleaner, more detail and separation, greater dimension - in fact a bigger sound stage than before - with drive and energy also improved. Vocals have never sounded so good. Plaudits to Russ and Co.

Buff111SE pro now in place - with all switches set to the default "on" position. Sounds fantastic, even without burn in! An excellent upgrade - cleaner, more detail and separation, greater dimension - in fact a bigger sound stage than before - with drive and energy also improved. Vocals have never sounded so good. Plaudits to Russ and Co.

What output stage do you use? es9028pro?