• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Introducing the Buffalo III-SE-Pro 9028/9038

Hello everybody, i'm implementing my 9038 BIIse pro these days and i'm making some changes in the setup at the same time. So i have a bunch of doubts that i tried to solve reading along the thread, but i get lost, mainly because i'm a newbie about I2S communication.
I have a modified Amanero board with 22.57mhz and 24.57 mhz Crystek clocks onboard; i don't use Cronus/Rhea reclock for now. Amanero Firmware is 1096c master. I would like to use pure sync firmware as soon as i can (i have to get my mind on the how-tos).

1) To use Amanero as master, have i to connect MCK I2S pin on Amanero to BIII EXT MCK connector and remove VDD XO Trident modul? That would be a problem if i want to switch to another, non-master input source while i'm listening (my RPI, for example)... Is that strictly necessary?
2) If i should simply connect my Amanero to BIII without connecting MCK pin and removing VDD XO, would i run async without problems?
3) If i should succeed in flashing sync mode firmware to BIII, how should i set Amanero and BIII to use sync mode? In particular: MCK connection, VDD XO onboard or not, master/slave firmware needed on Amanero, and so on...
Finally, what about multiple firmware option/chips for BIIIse pro we talked about in april? :D
Thanks to anyone will try to clarify my doubts!

Changed to Russ' sync mode firmware, removed the VDD Trident and hooked up the master clock from the Cronus. The DAC locks and plays, but there is continuous volume dependent noise on both channels. I set the automute switch to Off 'automute on' but the static like noise is still there even when the player is paused. Almost sounds like static/RF breakthrough.

Changed back to the old non sync mode setup and the noise is gone, anyone else had this issue?

Regards

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I need to confirm something very basic: My understanding is that with the firmware chip removed, none of the configuration switches have any effect. My issue is with automute. When it’s register reads that it is activated, I get track switching noise that the 9018 never gave... TIA!

OK I think I have found the noise issue - my early 9038 has a 1.2v AVCC as opposed to the correct 1.3v version. In sync mode when first started up it plays with just the occasional click. Once warmed up though the continuous noise appears on both channels, presumably as the Trident voltage drops somewhat. Looks like the Trident needs to be later 1.3 v to work in sync mode.

The 1.2V trident SR that we supply currently have fixed regs. You can't adjust them.

But for Trident SR with adjustable regs on them you can adjust easily.

Stock value for R2 should be 2K setting the voltage is 1.2V * (R1+ R2) / R2 - so I would suggest R1 between 100R and 180R - I am running 180R. You only need to it get up to about ~1.25V to have perfectly clean audio up to the very highest possible master clocks and sample rates on the ES9038. ES9028 does not have the same requirement - but 1.3V will not harm it either.

Cheers!
Russ

Last edited:
Hello, my 9038 BIIIse pro had its first run. Using a modded Amanero with Crystek clocks onboard and external power supply (so running async, i think) the sound is so better than my old 9018 BIIIse!
It takes some steps towards AKM chips sound, with very strong instruments separation, but keeping the greater "live" and "real" signature of ess chips. Really really wonderful! It has exceeded my expectations by far...

But i have a problem with my Raspberry PI: i can't get it to work with BIIIse pro.
It worked flawlessly with my previous BIIIse directly connected via I2s to the dac, never had a problem nor esitations. But i can't get BIIIse pro to lock its I2S signals: no sound is coming out whatever i play.

I'm playing PCM tracks. I tried various dipswitches settings, but had no luck. I tried all PLL bandwiths, but nothing changes. Setting PCM word lenght to 24 or 16 bits gets a lock and creates some sound, but mostly cracks and buzz with a distorted song far away. 32 bit PCM word lenght gives no lock.
After a while i get a lock while music is stopped, but as soon as i make the music start, the lock ceases and no sound is played.

What should i do to make my RPI work with BIIIse pro?

Hello, my 9038 BIIIse pro had its first run. Using a modded Amanero with Crystek clocks onboard and external power supply (so running async, i think) the sound is so better than my old 9018 BIIIse!
It takes some steps towards AKM chips sound, with very strong instruments separation, but keeping the greater "live" and "real" signature of ess chips. Really really wonderful! It has exceeded my expectations by far...

But i have a problem with my Raspberry PI: i can't get it to work with BIIIse pro.
It worked flawlessly with my previous BIIIse directly connected via I2s to the dac, never had a problem nor esitations. But i can't get BIIIse pro to lock its I2S signals: no sound is coming out whatever i play.

I'm playing PCM tracks. I tried various dipswitches settings, but had no luck. I tried all PLL bandwiths, but nothing changes. Setting PCM word lenght to 24 or 16 bits gets a lock and creates some sound, but mostly cracks and buzz with a distorted song far away. 32 bit PCM word lenght gives no lock.
After a while i get a lock while music is stopped, but as soon as i make the music start, the lock ceases and no sound is played.

What should i do to make my RPI work with BIIIse pro?

Try setting MPD to upsample everything to 32bits and set the 9038 for 32bit input.

Changed out the 1.2v Trident resistor to bump up the output to close to 1.3v. Russ you were correct that it didn't solve the issue with Sync Mode.

Play starts out fine but with the occasional click noise perhaps every 5 seconds or so on one or the other channel. After a few minutes this gradually morphs into a continuous noise added to the music on both channels. Now if I pause the player it silences (presumably because I have set the Automute on). Resuming play it comes back with the continuous noise again.

Input is from a stock Amanero via Cronus/Hermes, master clock is from the clock output on the Cronus closest to the U_MCK output on the Cronus to the DAC board.
The onboard Buffalo VDD_XO is removed.

Anyone have any suggestions where else to look?

Thanks

Hey all.. I'm looking to build my first DIY dac, and the BuffaloIII caught my eye.
Unfortunately, its currently out of my budget (seems ~1000 USD before casing). I was wondering if anyone here has experience with the Opus, and whether dual mono Opus with Mercury (or Legato) is still competitive in the 2018 DAC world.
Thanks