• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Buffalo III DAC First Build - What do I need?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This will be my first build, I have been looking at the following components for my build and would like some advice whether this is everything I should need or if there is something missing.

1. Do I have enough power supplies for the build? if not what is needed?
  2. I am not sure if the single Placid HD will be enough to power the DAC, USB module, OTTO-II and Raspberry Pi/Kali?
  3. Also if I am wanting an optical and coaxial input to S/PDIF, can these be wired direct to the DAC or will I also need the S/PDIF 4:1 MUX/Receiver?

Buffalo-III DAC
Placid HD
9V+9V Transformer
IVY-III Linestage
Placid HD BP
15V+15V Transformer
Ventus EZ (to drive balanced headphones - Sennheiser HD650)

Amanero USB Module
Optical Input Module (TTL if possible from elsewhere) - any recommendations?
Coaxial Input
Raspberry Pi + Kali (from a previous project)
OTTO-II (to switch between RPi and USB inputs)

HiFiDuino Volume Control and Display or DimDim TFT Display using Arduino.

Is another Placid HD or LCDS required for the Kali, OTTO-II, Optical input and Arduino display? If so which is most appropriate?

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Assuming one Placid BP for IVY and Ventus. As long as the B3 has tridents, you could power it with a dedicated channel from a LCDPS. Then the other side of the LCDPS is available for accessories. What about the RPi and the Amanero? Nice if they have clean linear power - second LPDPS?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
The new Line of Placids are excellent, but I only use them where "something analog" happens. Nothing wrong with powering a BIII using Placid, but I would dedicate whatever powers the BIII - not allowing noise pollution into the DAC. Where Placid is overkill I use TPA's linear supplies, which don't require as much heat management. Just add up your current needs and distribute accessory boards among supplies. Perhaps up to 400mA/LCDPS channel?

Last edited:
Thank you for all the replys. I have been looking at powering the Rpi and arduino from a AMB sigma 11 power supply, which should be able to provide a 5V 3a or more output.

Regarding the Ivy III powering balanced headphones. I have Sennheiser HD650s which are 300ohm. I had read that due to the high impedance it would be best to also get the Ventuz Ez. Is this correct? Thank you

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.