• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Firmware B3

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, IC8 is a micro-controller (ATTiny88) containing the firmware. Upgrading is simply replacing the chip. This is why we use a DIP-8 package with socket.

With regards to the firmware, unless you are trying to synchronously clock the DAC, or using the new Trident-SRs, there is no reason to upgrade. The main change in the firmware is an improved startup/initialization loop.

Hi Brian,

I am using the BIII in 8 channels configuration, now I do need to change the I2S format that is only possible on the BIII/SE.

Is possible to have a code that does permit this using differently the dip switches, or more simply to patch the controller code for have the I2S, or the left justified or the right justified?

Obviously I am not asking to have this for free.

Thanks and regards
Marco

I could create the firmware hex to do what you need very easily - do you have an AVR programmer - like an AVR Dragon?

What format are you looking for? What is the application?

Thanks Russ, no problem I can buy one of it ...

I do need to have the possibility of try all the three I2S formats (I2S, I2S left justified and I2S right justified), because my multichannel USB to I2S interface doesn't work with the standard I2S format used in BIII, or better I was able to change the format using it in Windows XP and Windows 7 32 bit, but now I do need to use it in Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 at 64 bit and with these SO the drivers are locked ...

Obviously I can pay your disturb with Paypal.

Thanks also to Brian but I am in Italy and the post service is very slow near Christmas.

My email is microfast@tiscalinet.it

Kind regards
Marco

Just arrived the Atmel AVRDRAGON ...

I must wait from you a complete new firmware to flash or can I read, edit ( on your indication ) and flash again the modified firmware?

Thanks a lot

Marco

Will you ever need SPDIF input or mono mode?

Are you using the DAC in stereo mode wired like B3SE?

If you are using it in 8 channel mode I will need to remap some switches. If you use using it in stereo mode wired like a B3SE then you can just use the B3SE firmware as long as you are not using SPDIF. Just turn SPDIF detection off.

Will you ever need SPDIF input or mono mode?

Are you using the DAC in stereo mode wired like B3SE?

If you are using it in 8 channel mode I will need to remap some switches. If you use using it in stereo mode wired like a B3SE then you can just use the B3SE firmware as long as you are not using SPDIF. Just turn SPDIF detection off.

Thanks for the files ..

Yes, I am using my BIII in 8 channels and never will use SPDIF in this unit.

I will do know the results

Marco

Hi Russ,

Today arrived me the ziff sockect ,this way I was finally able to program the Atmel flash memory that you modded for me.

I have set the switch 2-1,2,3 like indicated for the BIII-SE for change the I2S format but it doesn't work properly.
Now I have only the left channel working ( now correctly working so the format is now correct ) but the other seven channels are muted ...

Have I done some mistake?

Marco

Thanks Russ,

I did other test and probably was my mistake:

I tought that was correct to set left justified ( sw2 1-2-3 ON ON OFF ) and so only the left channels is played, I am returned to I2S ( ON ON ON ) and all the channels play but distorted ( like before with the standard firmware ); this way I tried the format Right justified 32 bit ( OFF ON ON ) and all worked perfectly.

Sorry and thanks for your patience :)

Obviously I have also to consider the SW2 4-5-6-7-8 like in the BIII-se, correct?

Marco

Thanks Russ,

I am already using this firmware with the note that I have already described in my previous posts and even with those strange behavior described I am able to use it correctly, so for me the problem is resolved.

Marco

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.