• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Anyone ever make a portable BIII?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Okay, this build was done in a Hammond 1455 case a long time ago (~2009). I think it was the 8"x6"x2" version.

The DAC is a Buffalo (first version) and original IVY. A single S/PDIF input is on the rear panel, along with balanced outputs, both using Neutrik connectors. Two headphone jacks are on the front panel; currently only one is wired to the SE outputs, but the idea was to eventually wired them for balanced headphone use.

Power supplies are lightly modified LCDPS and LCBPS. I had to use lower-voltage EL caps to make it fit height-wise. Transformers are Amveco 62000-series, mounted below the power supply boards. I case-mounted the LM317/337 regulators and extended their pins to reach the boards.

The unit is mains-powered, but lacks a fuse, which is a big no-no. I never bothered fixing it because I do not actually use this DAC. I used one of the power supply standoffs as a grounding point for mains earth, though the mounting holes are isolated from the supply, so this was just convenient.

The power switch is a Mountain switch with integrated LED. I actually removed the stock LED, put in my own two-pin bi-color LED, then refilled the switch void with clear epoxy. I wired the LED to the LOCK and MUTE LED+ pads on the DAC. Since the DAC has pull-downs for the LED, there was a ground available when the LEDs were off. Basically, the switch is RED when muted, and GREEN when locked.

There is also a Volumite on the front panel for volume control.

It would be possible to do this same thing with more recent components (B-IIIse and IVY for example). Placid supplies would never fit, but LCxPS would. The transformers we sell now would probably not fit, unless the layout was adjusted.

Attachments

• DSCN2825.JPG
    DSCN2825.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCN2824.JPG
    DSCN2824.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 90
  • DSCN2834.JPG
    DSCN2834.JPG
    154.4 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCN2828.JPG
    DSCN2828.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 88
  • DSCN2833.JPG
    DSCN2833.JPG
    117.6 KB · Views: 89
  • DSCN2827.JPG
    DSCN2827.JPG
    211.2 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCN2826.JPG
    DSCN2826.JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 60
Here is a test layout in the same case with the Buffalo-32S, which was about the same size as the current IVY/Legato. There would actualy be a little more space since the Volumite would be replaced by a simple panel-mount pot for volume with the current generation DAC.

Note this one has a fuse :).

It was never built, however...

Attachments

• DSCN2841.JPG
    DSCN2841.JPG
    171.3 KB · Views: 60
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.