Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 23rd January 2019, 10:32 PM   #101
twluke is offline twluke  Japan
diyAudio Member

Control of BBB-based audio appliances
Quote:
Originally Posted by francolargo View Post
Hi twluke!

Yes, you are certainly on the right track!

Suggestions:

1. delete the new 'global ...' lines. Those specify variables and you are not using any new variables.
2. I suggest that the first option in the 'handle_command' use 'if' (as you have it) but that the others use 'elif'. I see that my GitHub code wasn't that way but now I changed it.
3. I suggest that the logic statements be changed from 'line.startswith' to 'line =='. Only the 'set volume' option needs 'startswith'.
4. By all means transfer the code to your GitHub page!
Hi Frank, thank you for these suggestions and kind words. I'm very grateful to you.
Quote:
As you gain comfort with the modifications, please begin thinking about what will be your favorite way to control the DAC.
Tanks for this comment. Well, I'm now beginning to consider this option. Will do more home work.

Regards,
Old 16th February 2019, 11:38 PM   #102
pixelpusher is offline pixelpusher  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Frank,
I've read the entire thread and would like to try this. My BBB/BuffaloPro system is simple compared to yours. I would like to have control of volume and the various filter parameters. I've just a couple very basic questions to start with.
I have downloaded your Python script but how to you copy it to the BBB? I imagine that the Twisted Pear firmware chip needs to be removed, right?
Thanks for sharing your knowledge.
Old 17th February 2019, 03:57 AM   #103
francolargo is offline francolargo  United States
diyAudio Member

Greetings @pixelpusher!

I'm happy to be of assistance. The code that Twluke is using is a good start for a simple control system. However, I purposely took out some things that make it compatible with the program 'NetIO'. If you think you would like an iOS or Android controller for your system, then we can restore that functionality.

Here is the big picture. Almost everyone has an older phone or tablet that could be put to good use as a remote control. That's one reason I like the NetIO program - you can make different controller screens to suit the device screen, and you can have multiple controllers active at the same time. Plus, the web interface to design the control screens is slick, and I've ironed out many of the issues that can arise between the server program on the BBB and the remote control device.

I put my current 9028 control code up on GitHub for anyone to look at or import.

Here: https://github.com/francolargo/BBB-audio/blob/master/netio_server.py.9028.py

Unlike the older control programs, the newest version has three separate and parallel processes: a) the server waiting for any remote command, b) a loop to sense and respond to GPIO inputs to the BBB (from my control box front panel), and c) a monitor function that helps keep the ES9028s in the proper configuration to avoid system damage if control registers are unintentionally altered (which never happened with the older 9018s). It also has the beginnings of a log system to monitor its own activity.

Finally, I am transitioning my own media serving duties to a Raspberry Pi from a Macintosh. This gives me the chance to make the system controls even better, since the RPi can also respond to the NetIO controller. It will become the 24/7 system master that manages ON/Off/Standby via logic-level power switches. AND - the cool part - the RPi and BBB can easily communicate wherever 'handshaking' will be needed. The goal is to never touch the equipment, and hopefully avoid any future ESD damage such as I experienced when it got so dry during the recent polar vortex breakup.

So, decide how you want to interact with your system and we'll get you set up...

Best,

Frank

Last edited by francolargo; 17th February 2019 at 04:05 AM.
Old 17th February 2019, 04:57 AM   #104
diyAudio Member

Yes, My goal is to control the system with an ipad. I have used iRule for years and recently been enamoured with Demopad. I also purchased NetIO to check that out. These are all apps that can build a graphical interface on an ipad and issue TCP commands accross the network.

I was under the impression that your Python script, DACserver.py, would setup a server on the BBB to accept TCP commands and control the BuffaloPro.

EDIT; the link you posted did not work

Last edited by pixelpusher; 17th February 2019 at 05:01 AM. Reason: additional comment
Old 17th February 2019, 05:08 AM   #105
diyAudio Member

Yes, your understanding is correct. The software simply listens to the ports you select and evaluates any incoming TCP text for significance using 'IF such-and-so' recognition logic. Twluke is simply using the command line with 'netcat', so I simplified it a bit for him. NetIO uses a return acknowledgement, which was a complication he didn't need.

I transfer files to and from the BBB using a simple ftp program on the desktop/laptop. ...slick and fast...
Yes, you will have to remove the firmware chip from the DAC, meaning that you will need another method to initialize it and enable I2C. I think Twluke's suggestion here is elegant:
Introducing the Buffalo III-SE-Pro 9028/9038
I'm initializing with a single-purpose arduino for now...

finally, I edited that link - it should work now after a page refresh

F.

Last edited by francolargo; 17th February 2019 at 05:14 AM.
Old 17th February 2019, 02:57 PM   #106
diyAudio Member

The link still does not work for me but I found your files by searching Github.

I have noticed the comments about reset but do not really understand the why and how of it. I guess this is more complicated than I thought and will require more study on my part.

Thanks for your files.
Old 17th February 2019, 04:29 PM   #107
diyAudio Member

Here is where I had help figuring out the reset question:
Introducing the Buffalo III-SE-Pro 9028/9038
Old 18th February 2019, 03:47 AM   #108
diyAudio Member

Greetings Ichiban

Quote:
I'd like to input USB audio from a PC into the BBB.

Currently input ethernet from PC into the BBB.

Would need to switch between ethernet & USB.

What do I need to do to accomplish this?
This switching could be done within the BBB. You would need a command to 'pipe' the audio input to the audio output, and that command would specify the source as the USB and output.

Quote:
Setting code in BOTIC to accept USB audio?

Switching via BOTIC control rather than

a hardware switch.
No, the Botic kernel itself would not participate in this switching. You would accomplish this either from the command line of a BBB login, or better, by writing simple scripts (small programs) and executing them using some other control mechanism. This thread is about those kinds of commands, scripts, and control mechanisms (and how to use them).

Your first step would be to attach your USB source to the BBB and see if it is recognized. Simply make the connection and then from the BBB command line execute 'arecord -L'. If the USB source is listed then the rest is possible. If the USB source is not listed then you may need to work with your USB source computer to be sure it can send a signal via the USB port.

Good luck,

Frank
Old 18th February 2019, 06:02 AM   #109
ichiban is offline ichiban  United States
It's always something!
diyAudio Member

Control of BBB-based audio appliances
Quote:
Originally Posted by francolargo View Post
Greetings Ichiban
Your first step would be to attach your USB source to the BBB and see if it is recognized. Simply make the connection and then from the BBB command line execute 'arecord -L'. If the USB source is listed then the rest is possible.
Good luck,
Frank

Thank you. I'll look into that.

Control of BBB-based audio appliancesHide this!Advertise here!