Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2017, 04:01 PM   #91
torb is offline torb  Finland
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Getting back to this great project, I have been able to troubleshoot a bit:

Following the clock signals from Cronus and clock select pin from the BBB it seems the isolators are doing far to good a job by blocking all signals.

The voltage across their decoupling caps is ~3,4 V on the BBB side but only about 1,3 V on the Cronus side.
Same 1,3 V across decoupling caps on Cronus board.
Lab-PSU is steady at 5 V. I disconnected the BBB and removed the clocks, still 1,3 V.

So, I suspect the regulator on the Cronus and would try to replace it.
Is this IC5 which is marked 715102?

Would this be the one to order:
http://www.mouser.fi/ProductDetail/A...Mjy9blLOYc4%3d

Best regards,
Tor-björn
  Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2017, 06:58 PM   #92
torb is offline torb  Finland
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
To answer my own question: Brian from Twisted pear contacted me quickly, I had gotten a Cronus from a batch with the wrong regulator and he offered to send a replacement unit. Really good customer service!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2017, 02:47 PM   #93
torb is offline torb  Finland
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
And it works=)
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2018, 07:04 PM   #94
dem626 is offline dem626  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: richmond va
BBB/Botic/Cape play problem
Default Back looking for help

Quote:
Originally Posted by francolargo View Post
With luck, it is something obvious... 1) Hermes and Cronus correctly powered and EN led on Hermes lit? 2) 'speaker-test -c2' is your friend - do you hear anything? 3) SoX 'play' is also good for debugging, circumventing some configuration issues. 4) ALSA destination 'hw:0,0'? - 'aplay' can specify everything about the file you want to play plus its destination, e.g. use a .wav file and enter: 'aplay -c2 -D hw:0 pathto/somefile.wav' 5) 'amixer sset Master unmute' 6) BIII configuration?
Thanks francolargo for your reply on this. I gave up on it for a while, and recently started over. Currently using botic4 image, which I saw you recommend to someone else who is struggling.

Trying to get BBB to play I2S on B3 in stereo mode. The B3 plays I2S from an RPI but not with BBB-Hermes-Cronos. I didn't change the B3 but wonder if i need to.

Here is what I have, not sure what would be helpful for you or anyone else to advise me.

Speaker-test -c2 produces no sound on my speakers

aplay -c2 -D hw:0 pathto/somefile.wav produces a signal on bbb pin 30, which I think is correct for I--- (please correct me if i'm wrong)

amixer sset Master unmute gets an error (amixer: Unable to find simple control 'Master',0) - haven't tried researching this yet

SoX failed because SoX command was not found

My parameters:
root@botic:~# for i in /sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/*; do echo "* $i"; cat $i; done
* /sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/blr_ratio
64
* /sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/clk_44k1
45158400
* /sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/clk_48k
49152000
* /sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/dai_format
16385
* /sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/dsd_format_switch
1
* /sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/ext_masterclk
3
* /sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/pinconfig
default
* /sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/serconfig
I---

I have not touched mpd.conf

I bought a cheap logic analyzer and like I said, when I use aplay or ympd to play, pin 30 on bbb shows a signal (and doesn't when the song ends). At the other end of hermes (cronos side), I don't see anything on the corresponding data pin (pin 5 i believe). Probably wrong about this, but it feels like this signal is not getting thru hermes. Can someone confirm or correct if this assumption sounds right and if so, suggest what should I look at next?

I used the signal analyzer to check the clock signals on the hermes to chronos header, and all are show signals. Also checked voltage on them and they all have about 1.6v. The two 3.3v pins have 3.3 volts as they should (I saw this in another post where Miero was helping someone else).

If anyone has time to read this and give me some pointers, I would appreciate it. I'm in awe of those of you who have gotten this thing to work and still have hope that I can as well.

Thanks,
Doug
  Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2018, 07:16 PM   #95
Russ White is offline Russ White  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Russ White's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Nashville, TN, USA
First - sorry for your frustration - I will see if I can help.

Does it appear that the master clock is making it to the BBB from the Cronus?

A couple of general pointers:

- Double check SMT solder joints on the Hermes-BBB and the Cronus - rarely one might be dry - a little careful touch up can resolve that issue.

- If you have a scope (actually you can do this with a dmm too) check each cronus signal individually - especially the 3 used for 2 channel I2S. You can do this by powering the cronus with clocks completely independantly (not connected to any other module) and using a wire jumper to bring the signal high on the "in" side and checking that it indeed goes high on the "out" side - do the same to GND for each channel and observe that out goes low. It even better to do this with scope and a signal generator.

You can do the same kind of dignostics on the hermes. - just carefully observe the direction of the signals. Remember that master clock on the Hermes header is an output!!! So please don't short it high or low.

I hope that helps!

Cheers!
Russ
__________________
Less pulp more juice Twisted Pear
Audio
/Twisted Pear Audio Blog
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2018, 07:21 AM   #96
torb is offline torb  Finland
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Did you check the voltage across the local decoupling caps for the hermes-cronus-isolator IC:s?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem626 View Post
Thanks francolargo for your reply on this. I gave up on it for a while, and recently started over. Currently using botic4 image, which I saw you recommend to someone else who is struggling.

Trying to get BBB to play I2S on B3 in stereo mode. The B3 plays I2S from an RPI but not with BBB-Hermes-Cronos. I didn't change the B3 but wonder if i need to.

Here is what I have, not sure what would be helpful for you or anyone else to advise me.

Speaker-test -c2 produces no sound on my speakers

aplay -c2 -D hw:0 pathto/somefile.wav produces a signal on bbb pin 30, which I think is correct for I--- (please correct me if i'm wrong)

amixer sset Master unmute gets an error (amixer: Unable to find simple control 'Master',0) - haven't tried researching this yet

SoX failed because SoX command was not found

My parameters:
root@botic:~# for i in /sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/*; do echo "* $i"; cat $i; done
* /sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/blr_ratio
64
* /sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/clk_44k1
45158400
* /sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/clk_48k
49152000
* /sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/dai_format
16385
* /sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/dsd_format_switch
1
* /sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/ext_masterclk
3
* /sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/pinconfig
default
* /sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/serconfig
I---

I have not touched mpd.conf

I bought a cheap logic analyzer and like I said, when I use aplay or ympd to play, pin 30 on bbb shows a signal (and doesn't when the song ends). At the other end of hermes (cronos side), I don't see anything on the corresponding data pin (pin 5 i believe). Probably wrong about this, but it feels like this signal is not getting thru hermes. Can someone confirm or correct if this assumption sounds right and if so, suggest what should I look at next?

I used the signal analyzer to check the clock signals on the hermes to chronos header, and all are show signals. Also checked voltage on them and they all have about 1.6v. The two 3.3v pins have 3.3 volts as they should (I saw this in another post where Miero was helping someone else).

If anyone has time to read this and give me some pointers, I would appreciate it. I'm in awe of those of you who have gotten this thing to work and still have hope that I can as well.

Thanks,
Doug
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2018, 11:23 AM   #97
dem626 is offline dem626  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: richmond va
BBB/Botic/Cape play problem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ White View Post
First - sorry for your frustration - I will see if I can help.

Does it appear that the master clock is making it to the BBB from the Cronus?

A couple of general pointers:

- Double check SMT solder joints on the Hermes-BBB and the Cronus - rarely one might be dry - a little careful touch up can resolve that issue.

- If you have a scope (actually you can do this with a dmm too) check each cronus signal individually - especially the 3 used for 2 channel I2S. You can do this by powering the cronus with clocks completely independantly (not connected to any other module) and using a wire jumper to bring the signal high on the "in" side and checking that it indeed goes high on the "out" side - do the same to GND for each channel and observe that out goes low. It even better to do this with scope and a signal generator.

You can do the same kind of dignostics on the hermes. - just carefully observe the direction of the signals. Remember that master clock on the Hermes header is an output!!! So please don't short it high or low.

I hope that helps!

Cheers!
Russ
Thanks Russ. I've checked the solder. Will do again. Have to think about your other suggestions. Not sure I know how to do it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2018, 11:34 AM   #98
torb is offline torb  Finland
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Obviously didn't read parent properly, sorry for causing noise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by torb View Post
Did you check the voltage across the local decoupling caps for the hermes-cronus-isolator IC:s?
  Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2018, 11:37 AM   #99
dem626 is offline dem626  United States
diyAudio Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: richmond va
BBB/Botic/Cape play problem
Quote:
Originally Posted by torb View Post
Obviously didn't read parent properly, sorry for causing noise.
No problem, torb.
  Reply With Quote

Reply


BBB/Botic/Cape play problemHide this!Advertise here!
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hermes-BBB/Botic cape for BeagleBone Black Russ White Twisted Pear 623 23rd September 2018 02:40 PM
Support for Botic Linux driver miero Twisted Pear 2587 30th August 2018 06:46 AM
BBB + I2S + DAC odem81 PC Based 7 6th January 2015 05:10 AM
Slaving BBB to Buffalo III, possible? giulio Twisted Pear 5 11th December 2014 09:47 PM
Problem getting RX-V2500 to play nice with SACD DVD-A Player sumsound Everything Else 0 27th August 2008 05:03 AM


New To Site? Need Help?

All times are GMT. The time now is 01:08 AM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Resources saved on this page: MySQL 15.00%
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©1999-2018 diyAudio
Wiki