• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Introducing the Hermes-Amanero

Hello Folks,

You can get the Hermes-Amanero (along with the Cronus/Rhea) here:

Cronus Reclocking

This module allows you to use the Amanero with the Cronus in a fully isolated manner with the Amanero in slave mode - and the Cronus providing the audio master clock.

This give you an ideal isolated USB audio solution that supports PCM/DSD(via DoP implemented in the Amanero)

All frequencies from 32Khz to 384Khz are supported and transitions between 44.1 and 48Khz sample rate families are seamless.

I am currently (and strongly recommend) using the following configuration.

Cronus:
45/49Mhz clock with Hermes clock output set to 1:2 - this means the Amanereo is sourced with 22/24Mhz - while the clock for reclocking (and optionally the DAC) is 45/49Mhz.

Amanero:
CPLD Firmware = "Slave_For_1080"
CPU Firmware = "firmware_1096c" or "firmware_1095b" - but do not use "firmware_1095c" as it is broken.

Hardware setup is very simple - just connect the appropriate headers and stack the Amanero with the Hermes (either on top or bottom depends on your needs) Then stack the Hermes (once again either top or bottom) on the Cronus. This makes the interface very clean and short - and at the critical point (the Cronus outputs) everything is time aligned with the Cronus master clock.

I have tested this combination in Windows using Foobar and on my MacBook Pro using Vox and other players.

PCM and DSD both work fantastically and play lists that move between sample rates and DSD/PCM types work as expected with no pops (using a B3SE) or any other nastiness. The highest sample rates work perfectly (352/384khz) with the firmware indicated above.

I am very pleased with the result - and since everything is perfectly time aligned with the Cronus clock from input to output the audio signal is clean and pure. No data errors - no data loss - no isolator induced phase noise. With Hermes/Cronus there is no need to for anything else between you and music.

This is not really simply reclocking - it is in fact simply a perfectly time aligned USB source.

This is the simplest way to use Cronus - and works very well even with usb hosts like the rpi-2.

Cheers!
Russ

Attachments

• hermes-am.jpg
    hermes-am.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 4,378
Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Russ,
on the Amanero website about CPU firmware I just find the 1080... Where can I find the newer version you mentioned (1096c) ?

Thank you,
GM

Amanero:
CPU Firmware = "firmware_1096c" or "firmware_1095b" - but do not use "firmware_1095c" as it is broken.

Hi Russ, many thanks for this instruction.

After finishing setup of Hermes-BBB/Cronus boards for my B3SE and B3, I assembled Hermes-Amanero boards with 45/49 clocks as shown in the picture and found this combination could be the best solution for playing music via USB connection.

Amanero:

I myself tried other CPLD-CPU combinations but found that your recommendation is most appropriate and I'm quite happy to find that the DPLL set to the lowest bandwidth on my B3SE is rock-solid in playing PCM music from MPD on BBB or Audirvana_or_iTunes on MacBook Pro.

I am very pleased with the result - and since everything is perfectly time aligned with the Cronus clock from input to output the audio signal is clean and pure. No data errors - no data loss - no isolator induced phase noise. With Hermes/Cronus there is no need to for anything else between you and music.
Quite agreed with your statement. Thank you.

Attachments

• amn.jpg
    amn.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 1,868
Were the ribbon cables used instead of stacking connectors for experimentation flexibility?

Well, the Amanero used here is years-old after soldering header pins. So I couldn't stack the board in the same way as indicated by Russ. This is why I chose ribbon cables.

BTW, I have two other old, already-pin-soldered Amaneros. So I ordered additional Hermes boards for them and am waiting for shipment. :)

Need some help. I've installed my Hermes-Amanero-Cronus. I configured the Amanero using Russ's example without issue and it responds properly during playback. However there is no lock on my BII and checking with a scope I have no output on DCK, D1 or D2 on the Cronus. I have those inputs from the Amanero-Hermes at the Hermes connector on the Cronus and the Rhea clocks are running. Any suggestions as to what to check next?