Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 30th June 2020, 02:29 AM   #201
francolargo is offline francolargo  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodfromastone View Post
Is there any real benefit to the Cronus, if I only need one clock from source to DAC?
IF you only need one clock, AND the one you have is the correct frequency for the signal, then Cronus doesn't help.
Quote:
The digital setup will be PC -> Opus. Would I gain anything with PC -> Amenero -> Hermes -> Cronus -> Opus, vs PC -> Amenero -> Hermes -> Opus? It looks like a useless extra step, for that configuration.
[IMO] PC -> DAC is from 'the bad old days' - that setup has been long surpassed. There are benefits to isolating the I2S signal (Hermes) and there are benefits to clocking the synchronous signal without splitting cycles (Cronus). These two methods have driven widespread improvements to the quality of rendering in digital audio. It remains for you to decide which technologies you 'need'. Why not test with your intended output stage and headphones, etc. and let the ears decide?
Old 30th June 2020, 04:26 PM   #202
stephen1212b is offline stephen1212b  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
At Pin 6 (MCLK), I get just over 0.8V when everything is connected and attempting to play music, which is half what it should be (according to Domenico). The LEDs on my Tridents etc, dim slightly when I start to play the track, presumably indicating something is happening, but still no lock.
The master clock would be a square wave and the higher frequencies would undoubtedly be missed by a DC volt meter so readings will always be quite low compared to a scope.

Be sure all voltages are proper and don't sag, this includes the 5V as well as all the regulated voltages that follow from it. Current demand varies greatly with sample frequency and jumps up when actually playing music compared to idle. If using any shunt regulation be sure to set the shunt current under the conditions of highest sample rate that you expect to use and actually playing or trying to play music. As you are mute start with 44.1K before trying higher rates.
Old 1st July 2020, 12:09 PM   #203
bloodfromastone is offline bloodfromastone
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by francolargo View Post
IF you only need one clock, AND the one you have is the correct frequency for the signal, then Cronus doesn't help.
I assume the Amenero does that, while Hermes isolates it from the Amenero's power rails, as recommended.

Quote:
[IMO] PC -> DAC is from 'the bad old days' - that setup has been long surpassed.
Only if you don't use a PC as a central computer for many tasks. Other setups add unnecessary steps and time, then.

Quote:
There are benefits to isolating the I2S signal (Hermes) and there are benefits to clocking the synchronous signal without splitting cycles (Cronus). These two methods have driven widespread improvements to the quality of rendering in digital audio. It remains for you to decide which technologies you 'need'. Why not test with your intended output stage and headphones, etc. and let the ears decide?
Well, that what I'm wondering. As to why not just try and decide? Because I know I'm as prone to the placebo effect as anyone else. I can see situations where it would provide objective advantages. I also don't claim to know 100% of what's going on inside the Amenero, nor at its I2S outputs, which are way too fast for my scope. The Amenero has two quality clocks, and both it and the Cronus should need to select from them and divide them for the various I2S data frequencies - that's my understanding, at least. However, I don't have deep knowledge of all of the Amenero's inner workings, and potential shortcomings.

Having a good clock is a no-brainer. My first foray into that was a bit expensive at the time, for me (BBB, Hermes-BBB, Opus, Metronome, MiniDSP's USBStreamer, with a little hacking, though the details escape me now, and various PSUs), but I can tell the difference with bookshelf speakers, or lowly PortaPros. That in itself is on the level of over or under driving outputs, or significant EQ differences.

Last edited by bloodfromastone; 1st July 2020 at 12:19 PM.
Old 1st July 2020, 12:27 PM   #204
andrea_mori is offline andrea_mori  Italy
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodfromastone View Post
Having a good clock is a no-brainer.
I'm very curious to understand the "no-brainer", since I spent at least 5 years to develop a good clock.

Please, let me know.

Andrea
Old 1st July 2020, 01:16 PM   #205
BrianDonegan is offline BrianDonegan  United States
diyAudio Member

Introducing the Hermes-Amanero
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea_mori View Post
I'm very curious to understand the "no-brainer", since I spent at least 5 years to develop a good clock.

Please, let me know.

Andrea
I think he meant that it's obvious that having a good clock is important.
Old 1st July 2020, 01:17 PM   #206
BrianDonegan is offline BrianDonegan  United States
diyAudio Member

Introducing the Hermes-Amanero
Quote:
Well, that what I'm wondering. As to why not just try and decide?
I would try direct from the Amanero first. It actually is a very nice module. If you experience ground noise or other issues, try isolating.
Old 1st July 2020, 06:12 PM   #207
stephen1212b is offline stephen1212b  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The Cronus will not improve a single clock, but that is not its purpose.

I assume that you mean a single time base for instance all source material is 44.1k PCM files or everything is going to be resampled to some other constant rate.

If you are using I2S there will still be 3 signals required, bit clock, L/R clock, and data which you could think of as a "musical clock" or realize needs to be locked to the other clocks to work. This is true even if you only install one crystal and only use one sample rate. The combination of the Amanero in slave mode asynchronously pulling the data from the computer referencing the (as good as you want to make it), (I.E. better than the clocks that come with the Amanero), time base clock on the Cronus which also resynchronizes the three "clocks" will definitely help improve the sound. The Hermes isolation helps clean up the power and grounds allowing all the clocks to perform at thier best.

Introducing the Hermes-AmaneroHide this!Advertise here!