Go Back   Home > Forums > > >

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 28th September 2019, 08:21 PM   #191
rowli is offline rowli  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Luca,
my problem was that I had somehow manage to set SW2 positions 5 - 8, e.g DPLL to lowest value. When I changed to highest most insensitive mode, (0b1111) I could play DSD256 with Slave_for_1081 and 2006be10 without any problem with noise. Been stable since then. I have not tried to gradually decrease DPLL until I can't keep a good lock again, to see what the lowest value might be. Must try that.

regards Micke
Old 12th October 2019, 12:09 AM   #192
MartinC700 is offline MartinC700  United States
diyAudio Member

I've had the Hermes/Amanero/B3SE working in Sync mode but have now switched back to the standard firmware. Its been a while since I messed with the DAC, I thought I reconfigured it correctly but oddly when I play 44.4k tracks it's fine but with 96k it plays slow, as if the clock on the Cronus isn't switching. I am probably forgetting something, this is what I did:

1) Replaced the B3SE Pro sync firmware with stock async
2) Removed the master clock connection from Cronus to B3
3) Put the VDD_XO Trident back in

I have both clocks populated (45 and 49) on the Cronus. I'm rather stumped with the problem.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you
Old 12th October 2019, 02:06 PM   #193
diyAudio Member

Just to add a few items.

When playing 96k source the Amanero reports 96k through it's F0, F1 and F2 lines. That's when playing the track through Audirvana 3.5 on a Mac running Catalina. If I use Apple Music for some reason it seems to down sample to 44k.

I am now wondering if the issue is software / OS related.

Last edited by MartinC700; 12th October 2019 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12th October 2019, 05:09 PM   #194
diyAudio Member

Problem solved - I re-flashed the Amanero and reset the set bits and 96k works fine.
Old 27th December 2019, 10:53 PM   #195
sbelyo is offline sbelyo  United States
diyAudio Member

I want to experiment with powering the Amanero with it's own 5V supply not from the USB bus. I have a Analog devices USB isolator eval board EVAL-ADuM4160EBZ . It isolates the data lines and also allows you to experiment with powering both the upstream and downsteam sides with external power supplies or from the bus as well, or any combo of both. Since this will isolate the signal prior to reaching the Amanero and then it's isolated again through the Hermes, does anyone see an issue with this?
Old 23rd May 2020, 05:27 PM   #196
Duffy Moon is offline Duffy Moon  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

After ditching the Hermes/BBB in favour of a (what I hoped would be) a simpler solution, I have swapped them for a Amanero/Hermes combination.
I flashed the Amanero with 2006be11, and Slave for CPLD_1081. I set the config bits as per page 1 successfully and Windows recognised the Amanero, as did Foobar.
However, after plugging everything in, I get no lock. Any troubleshooting pointers? I'm fairly confident that the Amanero is OK as I was able to flash it. The Cronus worked fine with the Hermes/BBB, so maybe a problem with the new Hermes board?
Old 24th May 2020, 05:03 PM   #197
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsikhefez View Post
I posted over in the Cronus but this may be more relevant here.

I have the Cronus mounted with 45/49 clocks.
With CPLD=`Slave_for_1080` and CPU=`firmware_1096c` (and updated config bits) I don't get a lock and foobar is stuck.

If I revert back to` CPLD_for_1080` then I get a lock and music plays fine. I'm assuming in this case Cronus isn't doing anything?
What could be the issue?
I'm not getting a lock with any CPLD or firmware. Disconnecting the Amanaero from the board, I have tried CPLD=`Slave_for_1080` and CPU=`firmware_1096c, changed the config bits - all exactly as described on page 1. When I try to play something through Foobar, it gets stuck (I have tried both ASIO drivers).
I'm now thinking the problem is with the Amanero, but have no idea how to fix it.
Old 1st June 2020, 10:56 AM   #198
diyAudio Member

At Pin 6 (MCLK), I get just over 0.8V when everything is connected and attempting to play music, which is half what it should be (according to Domenico). The LEDs on my Tridents etc, dim slightly when I start to play the track, presumably indicating something is happening, but still no lock.

Any ideas, anyone? I'm a bit stumped at this point.
Old 29th June 2020, 03:14 PM   #199
bloodfromastone is offline bloodfromastone
diyAudio Member

Is there any real benefit to the Cronus, if I only need one clock from source to DAC?

The digital setup will be PC -> Opus. Would I gain anything with PC -> Amenero -> Hermes -> Cronus -> Opus, vs PC -> Amenero -> Hermes -> Opus? It looks like a useless extra step, for that configuration.

I already have a working, but unused, Cronus and Opus, so the cost wouldn't be any different (BBB setup has been replaced w/ a Pi, Kali reclocker, and Curryman DAC).
Old 30th June 2020, 02:29 AM   #200
francolargo is offline francolargo  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodfromastone View Post
Is there any real benefit to the Cronus, if I only need one clock from source to DAC?
IF you only need one clock, AND the one you have is the correct frequency for the signal, then Cronus doesn't help.
Quote:
The digital setup will be PC -> Opus. Would I gain anything with PC -> Amenero -> Hermes -> Cronus -> Opus, vs PC -> Amenero -> Hermes -> Opus? It looks like a useless extra step, for that configuration.
[IMO] PC -> DAC is from 'the bad old days' - that setup has been long surpassed. There are benefits to isolating the I2S signal (Hermes) and there are benefits to clocking the synchronous signal without splitting cycles (Cronus). These two methods have driven widespread improvements to the quality of rendering in digital audio. It remains for you to decide which technologies you 'need'. Why not test with your intended output stage and headphones, etc. and let the ears decide?

Introducing the Hermes-AmaneroHide this!Advertise here!