Go Back   Home > Forums > > >

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 22nd July 2018, 05:28 PM   #171
barrows is offline barrows
diyAudio Member

Default Update-Hermes/Amanero, DSD 256, sync clocking

OK: Replaced the Cronus, mounted an NDK 2520 SDA 45.1584 MHz XO (lower phase noise spec than Crystek 957/575), jumped the second clock position via u.fl, running master clock from Cronus.

Hurray, success! DSD 256 now plays (oversampled via Audirvana Plus or ROON) flawlessly with sync clocking (not sync SW though, yet) and a single oscillator set up.

BTW, I feel the sound is even more relaxed than with the Crystek clocks, perhaps the NDK SDA series really is producing lower jitter, sure sounds GREAT!

Thanks Russ/Brian for all your work, loving the 9038/Mercury combo in this set up.

BTW, could i know the PN for the clock divider on the Cronus v 1.2? I want to try and restore it to proper operation for other projects (I suspect there are issues).
Old 22nd July 2018, 05:42 PM   #172
Russ White is offline Russ White  United States
diyAudio Member

That's great news!

It does sound like you had a bad part somewhere - it could have been one of a few.

Either clock type would work well in this circuit for this application - we make Rhea modules so people can use clocks like those from NDK etc if they like - so I am glad you are doing so! The Crystek clocks are still superb and a solid choice - but I would never discourage trying others. Rhea is very flexible exactly for that purpose.

I surmise by your descriptions that either you had a clock going south - or as you seem to indicate either the Divider, Buffer, MUX, or the FF itself could have been damaged. You could verify this with a scope.

These things have happened to me in the past too. I killed a FF and a clock in testing myself (I suspect by shorting or ESD). In prototyping I have toasted many parts

The divider is an ICS542.

Cheers!
Russ

Last edited by Russ White; 22nd July 2018 at 05:49 PM.
Old 5th August 2018, 02:21 PM   #173
drone is offline drone  Germany
diyAudio Member

Default Reha modules and Tentclocks

Hi,

did anyone try the Tentclocks from Guido Tent from the netherlands.

Are thoose (TentlabsShop) compatible with reha module

BR

Branko
Old 14th August 2018, 04:22 AM   #174
Russ White is offline Russ White  United States
diyAudio Member

No experience with those clocks... but they look like they would work fine. Give it a go if you like.
Old 15th August 2018, 01:08 AM   #175
shadowlight is offline shadowlight  United States
diyAudio Member

Quick question. I am experimenting with BBB+Hermes+Cronus. I recently picked up a used built setup with 22.5/24.5 clocks but I also have a brand new setup that I got 2 weeks ago from TP, which I had ordered with 44/45 clocks. If I install the 44/45 clocks in place of the existing 22.5/24.5 clocks do I need to make any changes on the Cronus or is it swap out one set and swap in the other?

Any documentation on how everything should be hooked up?
Old 15th August 2018, 01:52 AM   #176
shadowlight is offline shadowlight  United States
diyAudio Member

Sorry, for following up my own message, but found the answer in Cronus thread response 186.
Old 15th August 2018, 03:29 PM   #177
BrianDonegan is offline BrianDonegan  United States
diyAudio Member

Introducing the Hermes-Amanero
As I think you already found, just change the clock multiplier jumper from 1:1 to 2:1. This will result in the master clock signal sent back to the Amanero being divided by two, so it will be the correct time base (2x.MHz).
Old 25th August 2018, 04:47 AM   #178
MartinC700 is offline MartinC700  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrows View Post
OK: Replaced the Cronus, mounted an NDK 2520 SDA 45.1584 MHz XO (lower phase noise spec than Crystek 957/575), jumped the second clock position via u.fl, running master clock from Cronus.

Hurray, success! DSD 256 now plays (oversampled via Audirvana Plus or ROON) flawlessly with sync clocking (not sync SW though, yet) and a single oscillator set up.

BTW, I feel the sound is even more relaxed than with the Crystek clocks, perhaps the NDK SDA series really is producing lower jitter, sure sounds GREAT!

Thanks Russ/Brian for all your work, loving the 9038/Mercury combo in this set up.

BTW, could i know the PN for the clock divider on the Cronus v 1.2? I want to try and restore it to proper operation for other projects (I suspect there are issues).
Just completed the same change and agree that the NDK clocks do seem to offer an overall improvement. Soldering those tiny devices is quite a challenge - kudos to TPA for making the Rhea board so versatile to fit these!
Old 10th September 2018, 03:56 AM   #179
MartinC700 is offline MartinC700  United States
diyAudio Member

The Hermes Amanero is a fantastic bit of kit. The only niggle I have is that the Amanero / Hermes has to boot up prior to being connected to ones USB source, otherwise it won't normally connect.

Thinking this over, if the USB 5v line from the source to the Amanero (on the Amanero board?) could be interrupted during the DAC / Hermes power up, then connected, this would presumably eliminate the problem.

Since my system used a Arduino as a control I was thinking that a relay that is actuated by Arduino to switch the power on a few seconds after the Hermes may provide the solution, has anyone tried such a system? - Not sure how difficult it would be to cut the 5v line after the USB input on the Amanero.

Cheers
Old 21st September 2018, 07:09 AM   #180
itsikhefez is offline itsikhefez  United States
diyAudio Member

Introducing the Hermes-Amanero
I posted over in the Cronus but this may be more relevant here.

I have the Cronus mounted with 45/49 clocks.
With CPLD=`Slave_for_1080` and CPU=`firmware_1096c` (and updated config bits) I don't get a lock and foobar is stuck.

If I revert back to` CPLD_for_1080` then I get a lock and music plays fine. I'm assuming in this case Cronus isn't doing anything?
What could be the issue?

Last edited by itsikhefez; 21st September 2018 at 07:29 AM.

Introducing the Hermes-AmaneroHide this!Advertise here!