Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 10th March 2018, 06:32 PM   #121
Russ White is offline Russ White  United States
diyAudio Member

What sort of power supply are you using? It sounds like it is sagging after some time. If it is a shunt supply give it some more current.
Old 10th March 2018, 10:55 PM   #122
MartinC700 is offline MartinC700  United States
diyAudio Member

The Cronus/Hermes is running from a LCDPS, the B3SE ES9038 from a LCDPS HO. Measuring the voltages they are both keeping a constant 5v. I'll get the scope out and see if the B3 is receiving signals from the Amanero.
Old 10th March 2018, 11:11 PM   #123
Russ White is offline Russ White  United States
diyAudio Member

Are you running sync or async? (is the master clock on the B3SEPro?)

Definitely double check all of your wiring - including grounds.
Old 10th March 2018, 11:57 PM   #124
diyAudio Member

OK, putting the scope on the signals, the Amanero is pushing out the signals, but the Hermes/Cronus output is not there after the initial few seconds of working. Looks like the fault is either the Cronus or the Hermes. I can't determine which one as they are stacked. The Cronus board was the one with a bad chip joint that needed resoldering before so my guess is that it may be the Cronus that's at fault. I did check the supply and its rock steady at 5v.

No changes to wiring, it was working fine up to yesterday when the intermittent cut outs started and then got progressively more frequent. Setup is the default async.

Last edited by MartinC700; 10th March 2018 at 11:59 PM.
Old 11th March 2018, 08:31 PM   #125
diyAudio Member

Took out the boards and tried to resolder a couple of joints on the Cronus, but damaged a track while using desoldering braid. Anyway, ordered a new Cronus, hopefully that will fix the issue.
Old 18th March 2018, 01:51 AM   #126
diyAudio Member

The replacement Cronus arrived, is installed and everything appears to be working again, looks like the fault was with the original Cronus.
Old 25th April 2018, 03:42 AM   #127
Hercules is offline Hercules  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

Hello All,

Anyone update Firmware on Amanero? CPLD still using Slave_1080 but CPU newer than 1906c3w4 can't switch clock from 45Mhz to 49Mhz, anything 48kHz and its multiples playing at lower pitch and speed due to still using 45Mhz Rhea XO. I need a CPU firmware that can play Native DSD256 and 48kHz multiple at correct XO, Thank You!!
Old 13th June 2018, 02:53 AM   #128
barrows is offline barrows
diyAudio Member

Default Amanero/Cronus, native DSD 256, on linux?

OK, is it possible to run native DSD from linux renderer to Amanero/Cronus, and if so, which software, CPLD, and settings are necessary to flash?

I have been trying to re-flash firmware(s) all afternoon here, but so far my Amanero/Cronus is no longer working, even when going back to 1096c and 1080 Slave.

Some have mentioned to me that just for DSD 256 Native, firmware 1099c works perfectly with linux. Will this work with 1080 Slave for use with Cronus?

Also, the newly released 2004be firmware may be able to even do DSD 512 Native, is it compatible with 1080 slave for use with Cronus?

Additionally, anyone have full pointers on getting the software flashing to work? I get the progress bar(s), and the Amanero is recognized after flashing, but no sound for the DAC anymore, even going back to 1096c, the set up was working fine up to 384 PCM and DSD 128 (DoP not native) before I tried re-flashing.
Old 13th June 2018, 02:03 PM   #129
twluke is offline twluke  Japan
diyAudio Member

Introducing the Hermes-Amanero
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrows View Post
OK, is it possible to run native DSD from linux renderer to Amanero/Cronus, and if so, which software, CPLD, and settings are necessary to flash?

I have been trying to re-flash firmware(s) all afternoon here, but so far my Amanero/Cronus is no longer working, even when going back to 1096c and 1080 Slave.

Some have mentioned to me that just for DSD 256 Native, firmware 1099c works perfectly with linux. Will this work with 1080 Slave for use with Cronus?
Hi barrows, I don't know the detail of this linux renderer but if the system is using alsa, did you check whether or not the Amanero is recognized as a playback device on the terminal (if available) by sending the command: aplay -l ?

Quote:
Also, the newly released 2004be firmware may be able to even do DSD 512 Native, is it compatible with 1080 slave for use with Cronus?
This firmware, though still not perfect, is working well in general for native DSD512 play on a DAC (Cyan DSD from Holo Audio with the source upsampled to DSD512 by HQ player running on an i7 8700K PC with Ubuntu 16.04) via I2S/HDMI connection without Hermes/Cronus.

I once tried the connection to this DAC for DSD512 play with Hermes-Amanero/Cronus (45/49 clocks) using the same 2004be FW. However, the DAC failed to recognize the device, though the HQP well recognized the Amanero as an ALSA device. I did not pursue the cause of this issue but my impression is that the presence of intervening Hermes/Cronus may be a sort of culprit of this failure.

For further testing, particularly for the recovery of the honor of Hermes/Cronus, it may be necessary to perform experiments on B3SEpros but these DACs of mine are now busy for another testing (syncmode, dual mono, etc.).

Quote:
Additionally, anyone have full pointers on getting the software flashing to work? I get the progress bar(s), and the Amanero is recognized after flashing, but no sound for the DAC anymore, even going back to 1096c, the set up was working fine up to 384 PCM and DSD 128 (DoP not native) before I tried re-flashing.
From the description above, I think your flashing work will be okay as long as you are stick to the README instruction.

Regards,
Old 13th June 2018, 07:51 PM   #130
barrows is offline barrows
diyAudio Member

Default Yes...

After flashing Amanero is recognized (the Sonore Ethernet Renderers feature a web based GUI which allows control of settings and to see the DAC diagnostics), and yes, these Renderers use ALSA.

What I need to know is:

1. Which Amanero firmware will allow native DSD from Linux, with the Amanero in SLAVE mode (for use with Cronus) 1099c? and the new 2004? I have heard that 1099c is stable for up top DSD 256, so that may be my bets choice.

2. For CPLD i must flash with: "Slave for 1080" for use with Cronus, correct?

3. Default Amanero firmware shipped from Twisted Pear is 1096c, right?

I am only interested in firmware which is confirmed to work in Slave mode with Cronus.

From my research it appears that 1099c with "slave for 1080" should work, can anyone confirm this firmware combination works with Amanero/Cronus for native DSD 256 on linux?

My second issue is that even going back to 1096c and slave for 1080, my amanero/Cronus is no longer working in the DAC (the player plays, and the Amanero is recognized by the player, but no lock in BuffPRO).

On the configuration bits-do I have to set these when I re-flash as per TPA directions at the beginning of this thread? does this third programming step have to be done? And when I try to do it, why do I get a message that the there is "no audio device found" when Amanero Combo 384 clearly is showing in the device manager? (and yes, I am re-booting the amanero with each flashing step).

Introducing the Hermes-AmaneroHide this!Advertise here!