• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Hermes-BBB/Botic cape for BeagleBone Black

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hi Kris,

You can learn also by experimenting! But one important point - you should be sure that a battery is attached to the BBB. The kind of battery is described by Russ in the beginning post of this thread. A picture of how he did it is here:

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/twi...mbedded-audio-applicance-118.html#post4200187

If you have questions about setup, you can also look at the help forum on Twisted Pear's website. The pictures can be especially useful, and questions/experiences of others who had questions are there to help you too.

Your checklist before experimenting:
1. Is power supported by a battery? ...references above
2. Are the Cronus clocks in the correct positions? ...pictures like in Miero's ieero.com page
3. Are the Cronus jumpers correct for the clocks you have? ...you want the clock into BBB to be divided down to 22/24 MHz. For example, that's 2X division of the cronus 45/49 clocks
4. Try and play some sound. From the command line just type 'speaker-test -c 2'.

Hello.
wlowes
1. I have put some music on the SD card. Just to see if I can play them. MPD dos not see any card nor files. Even after refreshing. The card is formatted in Fat32. Should be different file format? System botic is corrupted maybe? What could the the cause?
Apart from this. I'm tryin go get to the settings. Asks me for pasword. What is the pass? Is there specific defoult one i should use for login for the first time? I'm trying "botic" but is not working.
The comand line is where "root" is stated? (sorry I'm die hard windows geeg)

3. I'm not connected to the dac yet. Before I do it I want to be sure that it basicaly runs. And that I'm ready :). Hopefuly this weekend. I can connect to my windows comp though via ethernet using putty. Or you are trying to say that I need a separate net established just for botic?

frank
The power supply is my lab ps and everything is powered from one source. Should it be devided? Reclocker should be running from one ps and then BBB and hermes from separated one?
Can this lab ps be a subsitute for a battery? I'm planning to take a power to reclocker from my LCLC unregulated power from my dac which is 5V of really good and clean current.
I have jumpers on pos 3 which is 1:2 devider for 45/49 and of course all is soldered correctly. All leds are on when bbb is on.

As my final setup I would like to use the driver of the botic as an output device from my player on my pc or tablet which for now is JRiver. I do not know if it is compatibile or should I look for other one (Volumio? etc) So I could stream my music there directly. As a storage would be a mass storage in form of ssd attached to my router or if not then maybe ssd to BBB? (but this is maybe not the best solution)
Do you have any knowledge if that is at all possible? I saw something simular running on mac with iTunes. The botic was as an output device on iTunes options.
Does it have any limitations from other hand? Like reduced clocking 96kHz max or so for instance?

Thank you for a word

PS.
Book is on its way.

Last edited:
D3nsityD3nt,
First a disclaimer. I do not know Linux. I too am a windows end user who struggled through the basics enough to survive the BBB/botic and get great music. Ultimately I gave it up partially because I got tired of having to relearn enough Linux to fix it every time it broke. I have since gone over to the Rpi mostly because there is so much support for the non Unix crowd. And the Unix crowd is not inherently helpful to noobs.
So I won't be able to remember commands because I have not touched it for a year, but can point you to concepts. If you know what you are seeking, you can generally google and find the sample. Learning how to cut and paste a command into putty is the first step to success. Trust me when you find something that works paste it into a word doc so you can return to it when you forget it. Linux command line is like DOS. It requires EXACT use of caps, spaces and punctuation. Any minor deviation and it will simply say error with no hint of where you went wrong. BTW, if you enter a command, and it does not respond with anything, that is LINUX way of saying good job, I actually exectuted that one for you.

Here is a useful site with basic steps to setting up a BBB music server. It will not translate 100% to botic but it is a good road map.
Geek Speak: How To Build A BeagleBone Black MPD Music Server - Bits and Bytes - Audiophile Style

Now to your questions:
1. I don't know how to play music from the microsd. I suggested USB because I think, (not sure) that Botic automatically mounts the USB. If not, you would need to figure out the mount command before you can see the device. Another post showed a command to play a test tune that I believe is stored on the Botic build. Sounds like the best starting point.
2. the password is botic. Again check the case. If you are using the right password and it is not accepted, my bet is you are not running Botic. The command prompt should have the word Botic in it. Put the microsd into the slot, and hold down the button on the BBB that forces boot from microsd while you power up. Botic will not autoload onto the on board memory. I always ran with the microsd inserted. There is a command that will copy the build onto the BBB memory, but I could never get it to work.
3. I think you will need to be connected to the DAC to get MPD to do much of anything. Besides MPD you need to get to know your way around ALSA. ALSA commands can tell you if the DAC is found and what its state is.

Re power supplies. To test, you just need power to the correct devices. Ultimately you will want dedicated power supplies to get good sound.

Can't help wrt to using Botic as a streamer. It will be possible, but that is in the advanced class I never even aspired to enter. I could never even figure out how to upgrade to the latest release of Botic or how to Botic enable Volumio. That would have been good because builds like Volumio take all this Linux knowledge out of the mix.
Best of luck. I hope you can find someone who uses Botic to help.

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
As my final setup I would like to use the driver of the botic as an output device from my player on my pc or tablet which for now is JRiver. I do not know if it is compatibile or should I look for other one (Volumio? etc) So I could stream my music there directly. As a storage would be a mass storage in form of ssd attached to my router or if not then maybe ssd to BBB? (but this is maybe not the best solution)
Do you have any knowledge if that is at all possible? I saw something simular running on mac with iTunes. The botic was as an output device on iTunes options.
Does it have any limitations from other hand? Like reduced clocking 96kHz max or so for instance?

I think you are not as far from success as you first feared! :)

First, either install a battery or never accidentally remove power from the BBB. The battery, along with some of the good programming in Botic, protects the BBB from damage that can happen if there is voltage coming into the BBB via the GPIO pins when power is lost.

Second, Botic with it's Debian base distribution is a relatively minimal version of Linux and it does not include the niceties of a desktop. So, if you want to connect a USB drive or make uSD memory available (if you booted from board memory), then you must mount those devices. Here is a summary of the process. Not all of it is required, but it gives you an idea of working from the command line.

how to mount usb or micro sd devices

Remember two things about small single-board computers and Linux: 1) The boards were first imagined as teaching tools for learning to write code and control computers. You are doing exactly what the BBB (and others like RPi) was designed for! 2) Linux is a user-supported environment and there are so many 'versions' that it makes your head spin. Not all instructions that you find online for linux operations will work because not all versions contain all the available code. Our special purpose applications like Botic on BBB doesn't need all that extra 'fluff', so it is eliminated. But that means you have to find the right way to get things done with the version you are running. So, examples like the link above can be helpful for concepts, but they may not work quite correctly (or at all) in every different distribution. All the same, searching Google with a question about Linux Debian is not a bad way to learn. Finally, DO keep notes about what you did and what works on the BBB. It is a shame how quickly we forget details when not using them frequently! :drunk:

Third, there will be no problem using the BBB as a "streaming" device. Actually, you will control the system via the BBB, which pulls the music from another source running a simple server program. I believe JRiver has moved on from having its own BBB client. But no worries, there are others. Forget about Volumio - They have moved on as well to only support more modern single board computers. But rest assured, the BBB/Hermes/Cronus can provide an absolutely pristine, wonderful signal for your DAC. Time to get that DAC hooked up and tested!

Best,

Frank

Exellemt!
You guys have given me so much information. Also you have guided me to the right track. I thank you very much. All those links! You repaired my brocken morale!
The advice about writing is a gold. I think, that apart of writening things I will do a copy of the uEnv.txt file when all is done. To be careful with power supply - copied.

Don't know what else to say. Frank and wlowes you have ben very kind to me.
I have all links to be studied and also the book has arrived! Well, only 766 pages :) (bloody hell!)

Will post all my progress as soon as I wil start mounting all together.
Until then!
Cheers!!

Maybe someone on this thread can help me out?! I’ve got moderate hacking/soldering skills and a medium level of knowledge about electronic components. I’ve got a DMM but no scope.

I started with the BBB image posted in the DSC GB thread, basically completely stripped save for NAA and a shell. I can get the BBB to play if I set the clock to internal and do not connect the Hermes board (without Cronus). Even with the clocks set to internal as soon as I connect the Hermes ALSA on the BBB will time out. Right now I’m using the botic image from ieero.com with the same results so I’m thinking hardware problems for sure.

I’ve read through hundreds of posts :) and I’m thinking maybe the BBB is not getting a clock from the Cronus - but that doesn’t make sense when I set the optargs to the internal 48k clock of the BBB why the Hermes will stop playback?

The quote above is the first in a number by darkstargtk relating to an issue he was having, apparently, from the subsequent posts, unresolved. Here's a link to the full post;

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/twi...tic-cape-beaglebone-black-61.html#post5547670

I'm having the same issue and I'm hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Last edited:
The numbering of Hermes contacts and my DSC2 firmware do not match. Later I will look at how to reassign contacts programmatically.

Thank you Pavel. I thought I had carefully checked the pinouts from the BBB but have clearly missed something.

miero lists the following pin allocations on his botic page (http://bbb.ieero.com/)

--------------- BBB pin mapping ---------------

P9_25 - A14/0 - mcasp0_ahclkx (oscillator) - GPIO3_21

P9_31 - A13/0 - mcaps0_aclkx (bit clock) - SPI1_SCLK

P9_29 - B13/0 - mcasp0_fsx (lr clock) - SPI1_D0

P9_30 - D12/0 - mcasp0_axr0 (data0) - SPI1_D1

P9_41 - D13/0 - mcasp0_axr1 (data1) - GPIO3_20 shared pin with D14

P9_?? - ?12/2 - mcasp0_axr2 (data2) - configurable, see bellow

P9_27 - C13/2 - mcasp0_axr3 (data3) - GPIO3_19

P9_24 - D15/7 - uart1_txd (external masterclock switch) - GPIO0_15

P9_26 - D16/7 - uart1_rxd (I2S/DSD format switch)- GPIO0_14

P9_14 - U14/7 - gpmc_a2 (cape power switch) -

EHRPWM1A Default mode (kernel param snd_soc_botic.pinconfig=default or not set) P9_42 - B12/2 - mcasp0_axr2 (data2) - GPIO3_18

Compat mode (kernel param snd_soc_botic.pinconfig=compat) P9_28 - C12/2 - mcasp0_axr2 (data2) - SPI1_CS0 shared with HDMI audio output

GND is available on any of these pins P9_{01,02,43,44,45,46}.

So is it as simple as editing a file somewhere in your distribution to have the same settings. If so, are you able to tell me the path to the file. As I see it, the worst that can happen is that I need to reinstall a fresh image and tryagain if I get it wrong?

Thanks.

With the problems I had, mentioned above, and as part of trying to troubleshoot, I set about building a new software stack onto my BBB.

I flashed the BBB eMMC with a recent standard release of Debian Stretch and then added the botic7 kernel (and finally HQ Player NAA). All went well but still not able to play anything, which is when I turned up an apparent hardware fault with my Cronus board - it would seem I'm not getting any clock signals into the BBB via Hermes and Cronus.

I would like to confirm that my software install actually works by running the BBB with its internal oscillator instead of external clocks but how do you configure it to do that. I tried editing /sys/module/snd_soc_botic/parameters/ext_masterclk from 3 to 0 but the file isn't editable even as root? As you might detect, I'm no great linux expert.

Do I need to use optargs in uEnv.txt and does that take precedence over the parameters file?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hello everyone.
I was working on my PS for the Cronus board. Constructing PI filter in configuration LCLC. I had first choke dying on me while powering up. It was 10VDC spike. At least what I could capture on my meter. After that no more sound. All seems to work though. I even reinstalled os on BBB to be sure is not the botic itself doing problems.

Before I do any new purchase I would need to know whether it is just board that failed, on maybe Rhea clocks. Did any of you had this kind of failure caused by overvoltage before? Or maybe some of you did reparations on the board. The board itself is not to coplicated.

Any advice apreciated.
Regards

Hello everyone.
I was working on my PS for the Cronus board. Constructing PI filter in configuration LCLC. I had first choke dying on me while powering up. It was 10VDC spike. At least what I could capture on my meter. After that no more sound. All seems to work though. I even reinstalled os on BBB to be sure is not the botic itself doing problems.

Before I do any new purchase I would need to know whether it is just board that failed, on maybe Rhea clocks. Did any of you had this kind of failure caused by overvoltage before? Or maybe some of you did reparations on the board. The board itself is not to coplicated.

Any advice apreciated.
Regards

You really do not need anything special to power the Cronus, as the onboard ADM regulator powers everything on the chip and will dominate performance.

From technical point of view yes. From timbre and sound performance no. Better ps better sound. I have done like 5 or 6 different and high quality ps to it. Before I have concluded that PI filter is the andswer to get the optimal performance. Didn't try the battery though. This will be next.
But for now the board is brocken.
Do youi think that onboard ADM regulator is fried?
Would that be IC5 position or IC3?
I'm still getting 3.4v reads on positive rails on all aluminium capacitors (C11, C12, C10) if that helps.

Last edited:
CORRECTION

ButI'm still getting 3.28v reads on positive rails on all aluminium capacitors (C11, C10) AND 5.2 (C12)

In addition IC5 reads:
on oposite side to the input of the ADM7150:
1st leg closest to C10 no read, (GND)
2nd leg 3.28V, (REF_SENSE)
3rd leg 3.28V, (REF)
4th leg 3.86V. (VOUT)
Legs on the input side:
1st leg closest to the C10 3.29V, (VREG)
2nd leg 3.29V (BYP)
3rd leg 5.19V input voltage, (EN)
4th leg 5.19V input voltage (VIN)
Is it working properly?

A few questions:

I used two separate PSU for BBB/Hermes and one for chronus on Vd , so both 5V. Now, do I need to set the j2 and j3 jumper still on Hermes ?

I started with PPY distro...where the clock polarity has been 7, not 3...so...can this destroy anything as I have read somwhere that the3.3V goes then to different pins?

Last edited:
so, do i get this right, you changed the pinout of the BBB in your distro, so there is No way
to make your distro work with hermes chronus ?
I did not change the Botic7 driver in the source codes, which affects pinout. The changes were made minimal for backward compatibility MPD at high DSD bit rates (disabled DSD_U8). Therefore, you just need to specify the correct parameters for your case in the uEnv.txt file.

Hello everybody, i'm stuck on a strange problem and i need help...
I have a BBB-hermes-cronus-BIIIpro system from a year now and everything was going reasonably well. But i had to leave my system off for a long while (say 3 weeks or more) and this morning i tried to power it on again. But Hermes and BBB did not power up: Hermes leds stay off and BBB doesn't start.
I measured 5V input and 3,3V output on hermes, so everything seems ok there; i disconnecetd it from BBB and everything seems ok too, but obviously leds stay off; BBB powers and works ok when stand alone. But if i connect them, they don't power on.
I tried removing battery (that has now quite a low voltage) from hermes, but nothing changes.
BUT: if i disconnect ONLY the 4 battery connection pins between hermes and BBB (the 4 pins in a separated square near the 5VDC connector), all powers on correctly regardless of battery being connected or not to hermes.
That's quite strange! Do these 4 pin need to be connected or not? And why if they're connected nothing works even if the battery is disconnected from hermes? Most of all: why this all happens only now, after one year of normal and flawless work with those pins connected? :confused:

N.B. My 062535 battery is connected to hermes "BAT" terminal block next to "5V_IN", not to "EXT_BAT" connector near to GPIO. Actual voltage after 3 weeks without use is 2,87V

Last edited:
I have a question.
For some reason the external battery on Hermes that takes care of correctly shutting down BBB, is not being charged. And therefore I need to manually shutdown the BBB. If I charge the battery externally with a lab supply the BBB will shutdown correctly after a power loss (switching off). But the battery isn’t being recharged, so when the battery is depleted I always need to shut down the BBB manually.
I have checked and resoldered the 4-pin connector that connects to BBB (TP5-8 on BBB).
Is there a jumper or resistor that should be installed? Or anything that I should check?Any ideas? Thank you for looking at it.

Peter