Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 14th May 2019, 04:59 PM   #641
francolargo is offline francolargo  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Kris,

You can learn also by experimenting! But one important point - you should be sure that a battery is attached to the BBB. The kind of battery is described by Russ in the beginning post of this thread. A picture of how he did it is here:

Building an open embedded audio applicance.

If you have questions about setup, you can also look at the help forum on Twisted Pear's website. The pictures can be especially useful, and questions/experiences of others who had questions are there to help you too.

Your checklist before experimenting:
1. Is power supported by a battery? ...references above
2. Are the Cronus clocks in the correct positions? ...pictures like in Miero's ieero.com page
3. Are the Cronus jumpers correct for the clocks you have? ...you want the clock into BBB to be divided down to 22/24 MHz. For example, that's 2X division of the cronus 45/49 clocks
4. Try and play some sound. From the command line just type 'speaker-test -c 2'.
Old 14th May 2019, 08:59 PM   #642
D3nsityD3nt is offline D3nsityD3nt  Italy
diyAudio Member

Hermes-BBB/Botic cape for BeagleBone Black
Hello.
wlowes
1. I have put some music on the SD card. Just to see if I can play them. MPD dos not see any card nor files. Even after refreshing. The card is formatted in Fat32. Should be different file format? System botic is corrupted maybe? What could the the cause?
Apart from this. I'm tryin go get to the settings. Asks me for pasword. What is the pass? Is there specific defoult one i should use for login for the first time? I'm trying "botic" but is not working.
The comand line is where "root" is stated? (sorry I'm die hard windows geeg)

3. I'm not connected to the dac yet. Before I do it I want to be sure that it basicaly runs. And that I'm ready :-). Hopefuly this weekend. I can connect to my windows comp though via ethernet using putty. Or you are trying to say that I need a separate net established just for botic?

frank
The power supply is my lab ps and everything is powered from one source. Should it be devided? Reclocker should be running from one ps and then BBB and hermes from separated one?
Can this lab ps be a subsitute for a battery? I'm planning to take a power to reclocker from my LCLC unregulated power from my dac which is 5V of really good and clean current.
I have jumpers on pos 3 which is 1:2 devider for 45/49 and of course all is soldered correctly. All leds are on when bbb is on.

As my final setup I would like to use the driver of the botic as an output device from my player on my pc or tablet which for now is JRiver. I do not know if it is compatibile or should I look for other one (Volumio? etc) So I could stream my music there directly. As a storage would be a mass storage in form of ssd attached to my router or if not then maybe ssd to BBB? (but this is maybe not the best solution)
Do you have any knowledge if that is at all possible? I saw something simular running on mac with iTunes. The botic was as an output device on iTunes options.
Does it have any limitations from other hand? Like reduced clocking 96kHz max or so for instance?

Thank you for a word

PS.
Book is on its way.

Last edited by D3nsityD3nt; 14th May 2019 at 09:09 PM.
Old 15th May 2019, 01:21 PM   #643
wlowes is offline wlowes  Canada
diyAudio Member

D3nsityD3nt,
First a disclaimer. I do not know Linux. I too am a windows end user who struggled through the basics enough to survive the BBB/botic and get great music. Ultimately I gave it up partially because I got tired of having to relearn enough Linux to fix it every time it broke. I have since gone over to the Rpi mostly because there is so much support for the non Unix crowd. And the Unix crowd is not inherently helpful to noobs.
So I won't be able to remember commands because I have not touched it for a year, but can point you to concepts. If you know what you are seeking, you can generally google and find the sample. Learning how to cut and paste a command into putty is the first step to success. Trust me when you find something that works paste it into a word doc so you can return to it when you forget it. Linux command line is like DOS. It requires EXACT use of caps, spaces and punctuation. Any minor deviation and it will simply say error with no hint of where you went wrong. BTW, if you enter a command, and it does not respond with anything, that is LINUX way of saying good job, I actually exectuted that one for you.

Here is a useful site with basic steps to setting up a BBB music server. It will not translate 100% to botic but it is a good road map.
Geek Speak: How To Build A BeagleBone Black MPD Music Server - Bits and Bytes - Audiophile Style

Now to your questions:
1. I don't know how to play music from the microsd. I suggested USB because I think, (not sure) that Botic automatically mounts the USB. If not, you would need to figure out the mount command before you can see the device. Another post showed a command to play a test tune that I believe is stored on the Botic build. Sounds like the best starting point.
2. the password is botic. Again check the case. If you are using the right password and it is not accepted, my bet is you are not running Botic. The command prompt should have the word Botic in it. Put the microsd into the slot, and hold down the button on the BBB that forces boot from microsd while you power up. Botic will not autoload onto the on board memory. I always ran with the microsd inserted. There is a command that will copy the build onto the BBB memory, but I could never get it to work.
3. I think you will need to be connected to the DAC to get MPD to do much of anything. Besides MPD you need to get to know your way around ALSA. ALSA commands can tell you if the DAC is found and what its state is.

Re power supplies. To test, you just need power to the correct devices. Ultimately you will want dedicated power supplies to get good sound.

Can't help wrt to using Botic as a streamer. It will be possible, but that is in the advanced class I never even aspired to enter. I could never even figure out how to upgrade to the latest release of Botic or how to Botic enable Volumio. That would have been good because builds like Volumio take all this Linux knowledge out of the mix.
Best of luck. I hope you can find someone who uses Botic to help.

Last edited by wlowes; 15th May 2019 at 01:27 PM.
Old 15th May 2019, 02:41 PM   #644
francolargo is offline francolargo  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3nsityD3nt View Post
As my final setup I would like to use the driver of the botic as an output device from my player on my pc or tablet which for now is JRiver. I do not know if it is compatibile or should I look for other one (Volumio? etc) So I could stream my music there directly. As a storage would be a mass storage in form of ssd attached to my router or if not then maybe ssd to BBB? (but this is maybe not the best solution)
Do you have any knowledge if that is at all possible? I saw something simular running on mac with iTunes. The botic was as an output device on iTunes options.
Does it have any limitations from other hand? Like reduced clocking 96kHz max or so for instance?
I think you are not as far from success as you first feared!

First, either install a battery or never accidentally remove power from the BBB. The battery, along with some of the good programming in Botic, protects the BBB from damage that can happen if there is voltage coming into the BBB via the GPIO pins when power is lost.

Second, Botic with it's Debian base distribution is a relatively minimal version of Linux and it does not include the niceties of a desktop. So, if you want to connect a USB drive or make uSD memory available (if you booted from board memory), then you must mount those devices. Here is a summary of the process. Not all of it is required, but it gives you an idea of working from the command line.

how to mount usb or micro sd devices

Remember two things about small single-board computers and Linux: 1) The boards were first imagined as teaching tools for learning to write code and control computers. You are doing exactly what the BBB (and others like RPi) was designed for! 2) Linux is a user-supported environment and there are so many 'versions' that it makes your head spin. Not all instructions that you find online for linux operations will work because not all versions contain all the available code. Our special purpose applications like Botic on BBB doesn't need all that extra 'fluff', so it is eliminated. But that means you have to find the right way to get things done with the version you are running. So, examples like the link above can be helpful for concepts, but they may not work quite correctly (or at all) in every different distribution. All the same, searching Google with a question about Linux Debian is not a bad way to learn. Finally, DO keep notes about what you did and what works on the BBB. It is a shame how quickly we forget details when not using them frequently!

Third, there will be no problem using the BBB as a "streaming" device. Actually, you will control the system via the BBB, which pulls the music from another source running a simple server program. I believe JRiver has moved on from having its own BBB client. But no worries, there are others. Forget about Volumio - They have moved on as well to only support more modern single board computers. But rest assured, the BBB/Hermes/Cronus can provide an absolutely pristine, wonderful signal for your DAC. Time to get that DAC hooked up and tested!

Best,

Frank
Old 15th May 2019, 04:16 PM   #645
D3nsityD3nt is offline D3nsityD3nt  Italy
diyAudio Member

Hermes-BBB/Botic cape for BeagleBone Black
Exellemt!
You guys have given me so much information. Also you have guided me to the right track. I thank you very much. All those links! You repaired my brocken morale!
The advice about writing is a gold. I think, that apart of writening things I will do a copy of the uEnv.txt file when all is done. To be careful with power supply - copied.

Don't know what else to say. Frank and wlowes you have ben very kind to me.
I have all links to be studied and also the book has arrived! Well, only 766 pages :-) (bloody hell!)

Will post all my progress as soon as I wil start mounting all together.
Until then!
Cheers!!
Old 15th May 2019, 04:44 PM   #646
wlowes is offline wlowes  Canada
diyAudio Member

Great! You are well on your way. I echo the comment that the sound out of this combo is well worth the effort. Along with the great driver, the Botic build did a really good job of building a distribution that has just the right stuff to make great music.

Hermes-BBB/Botic cape for BeagleBone BlackHide this!Advertise here!