Go Back   Home > Forums > > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Twisted Pear Superior quality electronic kits

Old 27th March 2015, 12:43 AM   #11
kinku is offline kinku  United States
diyAudio Member

Hermes-BBB/Botic cape for BeagleBone Black
Russ don't want to hijack your thread. But can you explain a bit more how the controller is going to work with Hermes . What other hardware parts needed? Also unclear to me will it natively play all the PCM material without a controller ( opus and COD)
Old 27th March 2015, 12:48 AM   #12
Russ White is offline Russ White  United States
diyAudio Member

You can use the COD/Opus for PCM just as they are (refer to their manuals). You would just supply all of the signals from the Cronus(Hermes connects to Cronus) to the DAC and configure the DACs for I2S. It's only if you want to get fancy that you need to go further.
Old 27th March 2015, 05:56 AM   #13
daansan is offline daansan
diyAudio Member

Default Powering down

Assuming we will need a battery for shutdown protection i would like to know if i need special power down/up instructions.

Is a hard on/off power switch on the back of my dac chassis acceptable or does it need a more graceful shutdown by means of a signal from a pushbutton?

Also my thinking is to run the bbb from a 5v 2a smps and have it control some relays to power the other parts of the dac (transformers, power supply, dac board). In this way the bbb would also function as a standby controller. Are there any problems with this idea?
Old 27th March 2015, 06:03 AM   #14
bloodfromastone is offline bloodfromastone
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinku View Post
What other hardware parts needed? Also unclear to me will it natively play all the PCM material without a controller ( opus and COD)
You can get 48kHz family audio out with just a BBB, DAC, and Botic. It's getting a good quality clock, the 44.1kHz family of sampling rates, preventing interference issues, and synchronizing other devices with those clocks, that necessitates added hardware. It appears to be made to be used both generally, and also as part of a stack of TP products, so is a bit complicated.

The BBB has digital audio coprocessors (McASPs), that can mux, demux, and route digital audio signals, including to and from the BBB's memory, supporting 4 in/out stereo I2S, stereo S/PDIF, and DSD, and they take external clocks. One of the two the BBB has are exposed to pins. So, the BBB is a computer with pretty robust integrated digital audio transport hardware on the same chip as the CPU. It is very well documented. It is not, however, supported in software at all. That's what Meiro's Botic handles, providing device-specific ALSA driver support, so we can use the audio transport hardware built in to the board. The TP hardware, as it relates to the Hermes-BBB, is to be able to make the most of that transport hardware.

To only get a decent audio out, you could probably find an async USB sound card with Linux support, and be on your way (if you only need digital, an Amenero or a USBStreamer will do). As you consider doing a bit more, or just reduce the amount of reclocking and resampling you get stuck with, you'll come to points where you can get 95% of the way there with a BBB, RPi, Udoo, etc., but for clock speed and/or clock domain issues (which don't always present themselves that way, at first). Every normal workaround has its negative aspects to contend with, including accepting that you have to live with several stages of resampling and/or reclocking between your source data and the DAC (with the NUC, Cubox-i, and others, general tinkerer-friendliness tends to be lacking, in various ways). The BBB having the well-documented McASPs give it a Goldilocks quality for dealing with this class of problems, provided the clocks can be managed. Even just giving good clocks for 44.1kHz and 48kHz, and not needing yet another USB device, has advantages, given the weak CPUs on these SBCs (even the most expensive Cubox-i or Odroid can't hold a candle to first-generation Atom netbooks).

I2C is there, and there are even multiple Python libraries supporting it on the BBB. I haven't had a need for it yet, myself, but Google turns up enough tutorials and libraries...

Last edited by bloodfromastone; 27th March 2015 at 06:06 AM.
Old 27th March 2015, 06:14 AM   #15
glt is offline glt  United States
diyAudio Member

Congrats!
Old 27th March 2015, 01:11 PM   #16
Finnogangela is offline Finnogangela  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodfromastone View Post
You can get 48kHz family audio out with just a BBB, DAC, and Botic. It's getting a good quality clock, the 44.1kHz family of sampling rates, preventing interference issues, and synchronizing other devices with those clocks, that necessitates added hardware. (etc)..
Great sum-up, bloodfromastone
Old 29th March 2015, 07:41 PM   #17
jtr is offline jtr  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default Practicalities

Could someone who is in the Know, please comment on the ballpark dimensions of the attached assembly? I want to obtain an enclosure to house these four items plus 6 volt tx and dual 5 volt psu (LCDPS).
Thanks, jtr.

Also, many thanks to Russ, Brian, Miero, et al, for all the time and hardwork that has gone into the Botic/Hermes/Cronus project.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BBB-Hermes-Cronus-Teleporter-Assembly.jpg (70.5 KB, 1579 views)
Old 29th March 2015, 08:32 PM   #18
bloodfromastone is offline bloodfromastone
diyAudio Member

Time for restocking, already, and they won't even be going out for 2 weeks!
Old 30th March 2015, 07:29 AM   #19
pdeoliveira is offline pdeoliveira  France
diyAudio Member

Hi Russ,
I'm so sad it's already "Out of stock"
Is it going to be available again soon ?

Pascal
Old 30th March 2015, 10:56 AM   #20
twluke is offline twluke  Japan
diyAudio Member

Hermes-BBB/Botic cape for BeagleBone Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdeoliveira View Post
Hi Russ,
I'm so sad it's already "Out of stock"
Is it going to be available again soon ?

Pascal
It may not be so sad. They say the shipment of the first batch is scheduled to begin the week of 13th April. Until then or around that period, I think the second batch will appear in the ordering list again. So the difference of delivery time between the first and second will not so big. All's well that can wait with patience .

Hermes-BBB/Botic cape for BeagleBone BlackHide this!Advertise here!