• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Cronus - It's about time.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hello, could someone from TPA please specify from what version Cronus has a buffered MCK output for multiple targets?
I purchased one recently and would like to know if it's a buffered MCK version.
Thanks

Not an official response, but I have both - version 1.1 is not buffered, version 1.2 is buffered and is wonderful for driving 3 teleporters in addition to a BBB.

Hi,
I run Amanero/Cronus, synchronous with 9038.
I have used highest DPLL settings for a long time because I had problems with unlocks with lower settings.
But I have now started to experiment with lower values on DPLL, and notice that I have just not been patient enough.
I have a large amount of unlocks on lowest DPLL when the DAC is “cold” . But when the DAC /clock "warms up" then the unlocking reduces, and after a while (2-10 min) the looking stabilize and never unlock again.

So I can play with DPLL on lowest (0b0001) and the sound is so much better!!!

Now the issue.
I have some hiss from midrange/tweeter, not loud, only audible if ear halv meter from the speaker. Have not give It so much thoughts. But I notice this weekend if I get no unlock on startup, there is no hiss. But when the first unlock appear I get the hiss, and a lot of unlocks until it stabilize. But when DAC is stable the "background hiss" is still there. Not audible from listening position and sound is awsome. But I want to try to get it solved.
Have not start to experiment. But can I change DPLL when DAC is on, or do I need to restart DAC for settings to take effect?
My plan is otherwise to have DPLL at highest at startup until clock in warm. And then after 10 min or so set DPLL to lowest. Then I might get no unlocks at all and no hiss.

I also had problem with "Puresync mode" and unlocks before, so I gave up testing that any further. But never tried to wait until clock get warm. So will experiment with that too. But no DPLL in puresync, so dunno how to solve the hiss in that case, if above works.
Do "puresync" do any more than disable DPLL. Any difference than running DPPL at lowest?

/ Micke

Joined 2007
Paid Member
But can I change DPLL when DAC is on, or do I need to restart DAC for settings to take effect?

If you are using I2C communication directly to the DAC, then you can change the DPLL setting at any time without resetting everything. If you are using the typical EEPROM (?) for startup, then you must reconfigure the startup switches and re-start.

I too have noticed what seemed like subtle differences in sound quality based on factors that I wouldn't predict to matter, and it seems to sound better when the DAC is doing less 'work' and the system temperature has stabilized after a few hours. [though DPLL bandwidth is a predictable factor and I use 'off' - 0x00 in register 0x0c - which sounds about the same as the lowest active setting] However, I have not made any systematic tests to try to optimize nor understand subtle differences because for now I'm short of time and I only have my ears for detection. ...and they are easy to trick. :D Cheers!

Frank

Last edited:
Unusual Problem...

OK, I have an unusual problem with my B-IIIPRO/Cronus set up.

I was doing some low level testing (using a 1 kHz, -90 dBFS tone from a stereophile test disc), with no oversampling, everything is fine, the tone being clearly audible. With oversampling to higher PCM rates, everything is also fine. But with oversampling to DSD, I get dropouts? Even to only DSD 64.

set up: B-IIIPRO, amanero/cronus with 45.1584 XO
amanero software: 2006be 11
oversampling via ROON (tried all modulator settings, same result) via Sonore Renderer.

I am sync clocking the B-IIIPRO (but not sync software)

I suspect this is an amanero issue, makes me really wish TPA would release a "perfect" USB interface of its own. I know this is possible with XMOS, which generally seems much better behaved with DSD/native DSD.

Note these dropouts are not apparent when listening to music, only when testing with the -90 dBFS 1 kHz tone. Right now I am listening to ROON based oversampling to DSD4 on music. But clearly there IS something wrong if it cannot avoid dropouts on a low level test tone...

Also note, the problem is the DAC, I tested the exact same path via a Chord Mojo, and experienced no problems.

Any ideas?

OK...

"I suspect this is an amanero issue, makes me really wish TPA would release a "perfect" USB interface of its own. I know this is possible with XMOS, which generally seems much better behaved with DSD/native DSD."

OK, it is probably not an Amanero issue: I have another DIY DAC, a DSC-2 with Cronus/Amanero stack, running same firmware (2006be 11) and it plays the -90 dBFS tone without problems at both DSD 256 and DSD 512, for 512 it does require a 45.1584 clock, DSD 256 is fine with 22.579...

So, any ideas? Why would the Buffalo 90381 have issues with this tone at -90 dBFS via DSD playback? I mean this is clearly indicating some kind of low level problem...

Update...

"I suspect this is an amanero issue, makes me really wish TPA would release a "perfect" USB interface of its own. I know this is possible with XMOS, which generally seems much better behaved with DSD/native DSD."

OK, it is probably not an Amanero issue: I have another DIY DAC, a DSC-2 with Cronus/Amanero stack, running same firmware (2006be 11) and it plays the -90 dBFS tone without problems at both DSD 256 and DSD 512, for 512 it does require a 45.1584 clock, DSD 256 is fine with 22.579...

So, any ideas? Why would the Buffalo 90381 have issues with this tone at -90 dBFS via DSD playback? I mean this is clearly indicating some kind of low level problem...

OK, opened up the DAC and did some trouble shooting. Discovered automute was engaged, and with those low level signals is what occasionally muting the output. Turned off automute, and set the DPLL to lowest. Perfect now, the -90 dBFS tone plays cleanly at all sample rates including DSD 256, with sync clocking. So beware of "automute"

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Cronus

With the confinament I started mine long journey to install the Chronus but I can't listen nothing!

My setup consist: Amanero + I2S isolator + Chronus = noDac

Amanero is connected to I2S isolator properly:
-POWER from Amanero
-FSCLK
-BCLK
-DATA

I2S isolator is connected:
-POWER from Chronus pin 19 gnd & pin 20 3.3V to isolator
-FSCLK from isolator to pin 12 gnd & pin 2 D1 Chronus
-BCLK from isolator to pin 10 gnd & pin 1 DCK IN

Chronus is connected:
-DCK ufl connector to MCLK Amanero?
-D1 left channel output
-D2 right channel output
-One jumper is set to MCK+
-The other jumper is set to J1.1

It's possible can't works because I use NDK SDA but don't installed C1 0.01uF C0G in the Rhea module?

TIA
Felipe

N.B. My player Daphile plays normally without any problem the only is that can't listen music.

Last edited:
Hi all. It's been a long time since I tinkered with my DAC (dual-mono BII), but I seem to have some time on my hands!

I have the Hermes/Cronus/Rhea and a BBB, but never really liked all the fiddling around with Linux, so the whole DAC has been in 'mothballs' for the last few years. Now, I would like to add a USB input, as that seems like the simplest route to go down. As I understand it, I have a few options: a waveio, a diyinhk module or an Amanero. Is there any way to use what I have, or do I have to buy a new Hermes etc? Sorry, it's been a while since I read up on all this.

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I forgot to mention that I can't get my volumite to control the volume any more, so if any of the USB to i2s solutions can also control volume, then that would be ideal.

USB will definitely simplify your system. Another option that can work with the Buffalo boards is the 'I2SoverUSB' product. Obviously, a USB solution that isolates the I2S will sound nicer, whether it is Hermes-Amanero added to your Cronus, or one of the others that use NDK clocks.

As far as I know, none control DAC volume. [Edit:] Perhaps a new volumite with firmware would solve the volume issue. Lately, however, some volume controls included in music player software have improved to the point that on-DAC volume attenuation is no longer superior. You'll have to compare for yourself, since it depends on which player software you are using.

Last edited: