• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Cronus - It's about time.

Thanks Barrows for trying to help!

Tonight I tried this:

- Replaced the 4 inch U.FL clock cable with another 4 inch U.FL cable.
Power up everything. Lock and Mute lights up.
Start playing DSD256 and got music. Sat down to listen.
After 30 sec music disappear and only noice, independent of volume.
Lock and Mute lights off.
Could not get music back, noice don't change if I start/stop a track.
But if I switch between DSD and PCM, noice change character.
Could not get music back even if restarting DAC.

- So moved Cronos closer to Buffalo and replaced 4 inch cable with a 2 inch cable.
Power on again, Lock and Mute lights on. Press play and music again.
Sat down for listen, and thought, YEAH now we talking. But after exactly 1 min music disappear and only noice again :(

- Back to asyncronus and some late night listening. Happy again :)

Clocks on Cronos 45.1584/49.152MHz. I have separate power supplies for amanero, cronos, buffalo.
Thought yesterday it perhaps could be some "powerup sequence order" that cause some issue, but today I had music for a while, so probably not that.

Anyone has any more ideas where I should continue troubleshooting?

thanks Micke

In my set up Amanero gets power from the USB bus (but this is super clean USB from a Sonore Signature Rendu optical), and the Cronus and DAC get power from a shared transformer, but separately filtered and regulated supplies. The DAC always works best if the DAC is powered up first and then the USB cable is powered up. (turn on DAC first, then turn on the Renderer in my case). I think, perhaps, the Amanero needs to see an active clock (from Cronus) during its boot up.
But I have no idea if this could relate to your problems. One other thing, do you have the 1.3 volt Trident SR (and not the older 1.2 volt version)-this could be an issue with high sample rates...

Hi,
yesterday I continued with the troubleshooting, I took a few steps forward, thanks guys for the suggestions!

I started by disconnecting the power supply to Amanero and taking the power from the USB port instead. Connected power, and when everything started up, I connected the USB cable.
Could then run synchronously (dsd256) and it played as it should. But then I tried power everything off / on again. Then same problem as before, only noise. And could not get it OK again.

So then I changed so that one power supply drives both Cronus and Buffalo (except AVCC, still use separate power supply there).
And then I can play syncronus. Power off / on a few times and played for an hour. Seems stable.

Then I replaced the default ATTINY85 with one programmed for Puresync,
Using
avrdude -C avrdude.conf -p t85 -P usb -c usbtiny -Ulfuse:w:0xE2:m -Uhfuse:w:0xD5:m -Uefuse:w:0xFF:m -U flash:w:/tmp/Buffalo-3-SE-Pro-OB.hex:a

avrdude: AVR device initialized and ready to accept instructions
Reading | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s
avrdude: verifying ...
avrdude: 2014 bytes of flash verified
avrdude: safemode: Fuses OK (H: FF, E: D5, L: E2)
avrdude done. Thank you.

When I power up and start playing DSD64-DSD256 I get noise and music at the same time. Noise/music is volume-pot dependent, so if pot all way down, no music/noise.
Then I changed to PCM in musicplayer.
PCM 44.1k OK, music no noise
PCM 192k OK, music no noise
PCM 384k not working, noise

If I change to DSD64 up to DSD256 I get noise and music at the same time. Noise higher level than the music.
That's how far I have come. Changed back to the default ATTINY85 chip and listen now in syncronous DSD256 with that.

Any more ideas :)

Ps: have someone compared cronos and async vs sync vs puresync, worth the trouble to continue? :)

thanks Micke

-snip-
Using
avrdude -C avrdude.conf -p t85 -P usb -c usbtiny -Ulfuse:w:0xE2:m -Uhfuse:w:0xD5:m -Uefuse:w:0xFF:m -U flash:w:/tmp/Buffalo-3-SE-Pro-OB.hex:a
-snip-

avrdude: safemode: Fuses OK (H: FF, E: D5, L: E2)
avrdude done. Thank you.
Though avrdude says Fuses OK (H: FF, E: D5, L: E2), it is not okay with your initial setting: -Ulfuse:w:0xE2:m -Uhfuse:w:0xD5:m -Uefuse:w:0xFF. May be the culprit of your problem.

Rgds,

Hi luke,
thanks for notice. I run command again, same report output. I google and it seems that avrdude 6.0.1 I'm using has some bug that swap fuse bytes in the verify report (e.g just a display bug).
But just to be sure I upgrade to avrdude 6.3 and run the same command. And then the report looks OK.
avrdude: safemode: Fuses OK (E:FF, H: D5, L:E2)
The writing process. E.g
avrdude: reading input file "0xFF"
avrdude: writing efuse (1 bytes):
Writing | ################################################## | 100% 0.00s
avrdude: 1 bytes of efuse written
is the same in both versions so think nothing wrong with my first version either, but will see tonight when I put the chip back.

regards Micke

Okay, I have now put in the chip programmed with avrdude 6.3. Now it plays without noise. Do not know if it is a coincidence, not dared to restart DAC again. But listened for 1 hour now with pursync without a problem :)

I will continue to test later this week, do some power on/off to see if it's still stable and then experiment with separate power supplies again. Will give some feedback how it goes..

But cool that it works :)

thanks all for the help

Micke

Okay, I have now put in the chip programmed with avrdude 6.3. Now it plays without noise. Do not know if it is a coincidence, not dared to restart DAC again. But listened for 1 hour now with pursync without a problem :)

Hi Micke,

Glad to hear that. It appears that the chip was accurately programmed. I also happened to find that the version of avrdude running on my ubuntu system for programming was 6.3.

Regards,

In the next week or two. Waiting for new batch of boards to arrive.

Thanks Brian. I think I need to order one.

I've been trying to make use of a Cronus/BBB Hermes combo I bought a while ago but have been having trouble getting anything to play on the BBB. After some back to basics troubleshooting I have found that there is only about 1.5V on the Rhea power pins of the Cronus and on pins 19 & 20 of the Cronus/Hermes interface header; I think that would result in a lack of clock signal to BBB, which would go a long way to understanding the playback problems I've been seeing.

It looks like the root cause is a fault with the regulator on the Cronus board. I think the soldering skills to repair the Cronus will be beyond my capability so I surmise a new board is required.

Does that sound about right?

Cheers

"If the user have higher clocks, he will use the Cronus on-board divider. (/2 for 45/49 clocks and /4 for 90/98 clocks)." I read earlier in this thread.

Now I have an 22/24 source running together with 90/98 clocks and the BBB Hermes + Cronus. Everything runs fine with the /4 divider up to 192kHz sample rate, but with 352.8kHz there is no sound at all..

With the divider set to /2 I get stuttering sound at 352.8kHz.

With the divider set to /1 everything works as it should, no stuttering and correctly played music.

What is wrong here? Or maybe a better question is: Is there really something wrong here/is there a negative effect of having the divider at /1 with 90/98 clocks in combination with a 22/24 clock source?

Is the sound that is played now, because I use the divider at /1; reclocked incorrectly?

Why are the high sample rates only working with divider at /1 and not with /4 as it's supposed to be?

I want to thank Brian of TPA. :)

As a result of this post;

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/twisted-pear/272007-cronus-time-82.html#post5819650

Brian sent me a replacement Cronus completely free of charge. He could have easily sold me another one, as I'm sure some sellers would. I think this speaks volumes for the integrity and great service that Twisted Pear represent.

The replacement Cronus was delivered yesterday and I now have a fully functioning BBB/Hermes/Cronus combo.

Thank you Brian.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Just received the Chronus today, It's clear that I have to set the Amanero to slave, I plan to use as noDac for only DSD, because there is no manual/guide I have several questions:

1/ Kit comes with 10 resistors, have I to populate R1-7?
2/ What's the power consumption?
3/ Wich one is channel Left & Right for D1 & D2?
4/ What is the 3 holes MCK jumper position set up for DSD using 22,XXX & 24,XXX clocks
5/ What are the 6 holes HMCK_SEL the jumper position set up for DSD using 22,XXX & 24,XXX clocks
6/ Just curiosity. What's the pourpose for 0_D8 & 0_D7 holes?
7/ I don't use Hermes, what pins have I to use for Cronus input MCK, LRCK, BCK & DATA?

TIA for help
Felipe

Last edited:
1/ Kit comes with 10 resistors, have I to populate R1-7?

You only need to add resistors for the channels you plan on using (R1 and R2) but there is no harm in adding them all.

2/ What's the power consumption?

Not sure off the top of my head, but <100mA IIRC. I can check but will depend on the clocks you use.

3/ Wich one is channel Left & Right for D1 & D2?

Um, not sure.

4/ What is the 3 holes MCK jumper position set up for DSD using 22,XXX & 24,XXX clocks

MCK+ (works for 99% of applications)

5/ What are the 6 holes HMCK_SEL the jumper position set up for DSD using 22,XXX & 24,XXX clocks

J1:1

6/ Just curiosity. What's the pourpose for 0_D8 & 0_D7 holes?

Access to unused header pins.

7/ I don't use Hermes, what pins have I to use for Cronus input MCK, LRCK, BCK & DATA?

For DSD you only need D1 D2 and DCK. On Amanero that's DCK:BCK(Pin4), D1:FSCK(Pin5), D2:DATA(Pin3) ** I think, been a while and I don;t use DSD :)