• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Cronus - It's about time.

Yes, it is documented in the BBB_SRM.pdf (rev C1), page 82:

NOTE: Do not connect 5V logic level signals to these pins or the board will be damaged.

NOTE: DO NOT APPLY VOLTAGE TO ANY I/O PIN WHEN POWER IS NOT SUPPLIED TO THE BOARD. IT WILL DAMAGE THE PROCESSOR AND VOID THE WARRANTY.

NO PINS ARE TO BE DRIVEN UNTIL AFTER THE SYS_RESET LINE GOES HIGH.

I am troubleshooting an issue I have with a Cronus and am a little confused. I measure 1.5v on the clocks supply instead of 3.3v, which I was able to trace back to ic5. I isolated pin 2 and confirmed it’s putting out the wrong voltage. This is an ADM7151-04 reg and according to its datasheet it’s output is set via 2 resistors across pins 5,6 and gnd. But I don’t see any such resistors on the Cronus. Without any resistors it will output 1.5v according to the datasheet.

Only explanation I can think of is that the wrong part is installed. Anyone else seen this? Anyone have the same reg in their Cronus and is it working for you?

Hi, could you check the orientation of IC6? I've attached the picture of my Cronus which had the same issue, unitl I've flipped this IC the other way around.

The IC shown in the picture is in the WRONG orientation.

Attachments

• 2018-11-21_1239.jpg
    2018-11-21_1239.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 433
Hi Miero,

but what if we'll bypass just the clock signals on the Hermes, leaving all other parts working?

Isolator chip bypass operates well.
Now the goal is to replace the whole Hermes with a very short direct cable if possible. I do not know what the software exactly do with the IC3/IC4, wether or not the system works flowlessy with default settings. If not, it will be bit more complicated to solve.

Cronus I2S slave vs master

Hi - is it possible to feed a device that insists on being I2S master from the Chronus without major modifiations? I have a NanoSharc and was hoping to integrate it into my system:

Current: BBB->Hermes->Chronus->BIII
Proposed: BBB->Hermes->Chronus->Nanosharc->Transporter->Transporter->2XB3 (I'm breaking up a dual mono B3 because in the end I like the sound of my single B3SE Pro better).

I'm hoping to do crossover in the digital domain like I see some others have successfully done before. Why am I using the nanosharc instead of the minisharc - it's because I have one already :)

I saw someone has successfully wired a nanosharc directly to a BBB however I would like to take advantage of the isolation an buffering provided by the Rhea at a minimum.

I am not certain what you mean - Cronus actually expects an I2S (if you are using I2S) master :) In other words - Cronus is never a master of anything other than the master clock itself.

It simply also expects a source that is driven either directly or indirectly via the Cronus master clock. There really is no way around that unless you somehow drive the Cronus from the source master clock (assuming it meets the timing/frequency requirements). This is possible via direct wiring - but there would be no isolation.

Cheers!
Russ

Hi Russ - I think I muddied the waters a bit hoping to elicit more general commentary from the community if I am taking the best approach to integrating the nanoSharc into my system. The very specific question regarding I2S is if the Cronus can act as the I2S slave on the output side - in other words receive BCK, LRCK from an I2S master (in this case the NanoSharc). The block diagram provided in the Nanosharc documentation shows MCLK (optional), BCK, an LRCK flowing from the Nanosharc to the I2S source device, and the I2S data (they call I2S_INX) flowing from the I2S source to the Nanosharc. I would still use the BBB/Hermes/Cronus in the conventional way using the Rhea clocks as master for the BBB. So in this scenario the I2S outputs from the Chronus that would typically feed a DAC will feed the Nanosharc inputs instead and the Nanosharc outputs would provide two separate I2S streams to two B3s. I hope I made my question more clear in spite of my limited understanding!