• Disclaimer: This Vendor's Forum is a paid-for commercial area. Unlike the rest of diyAudio, the Vendor has complete control of what may or may not be posted in this forum. If you wish to discuss technical matters outside the bounds of what is permitted by the Vendor, please use the non-commercial areas of diyAudio to do so.

Cronus - It's about time.

You can "reclock" anything, but it will work only if the signal source uses clock derived from Cronus clock.

With some non-trivial work it should be possible to feed MCLK from Cronus to SPDIF source (bypassing its internal clocks) and then feed output SPDIF signal it into Cronus.

But in the most other cases the reclocking SPDIF will not work.

That hack routes one I2S or two DSD channels to all needed inputs multichannel Buffalo 3. There is also one another resistor on the other side of Cronus.

This could be done easier on B3, but I wanted to keep B3 without jumpers, so I can switch stereo or multichannel just by switching to different Cronus module.

Hallo to all!
I'm not sure if I should connect my Cronus directly to the Buffalo III (Stereo) (V1.0.1), or via the Sidecar to gain the flexibility to connect other SPDIF sources to the Buffalo.
Does the Sidecar theretically or practically has any negativ aspects concerning the audio quality?
And if I play both DSD and PCM music (with the BBB), does Sidecar also work with the Cronus output (because it's the DSD In at the Sidecar), if I listen to not-DSD-coded music?
It's really a pity that the documentation isn't ready, or at least that there is a collection of draft to-dos and pictures to get the whole BBB/Hermes/Cronus work with the B1-3 Variants. From here all the people with a non 9018DAC could also easily set up in async mode. The people wanting a sync mode have to life on the adventurous sinde or just wait until the documentation is finnished. As I already have a few other kits from twisted pear it's a different experiance.

Best regards,
Matthias

Hi Russ,
Thanks for your quick and also fast answer, as always!
What implementation of a Stereo DAC is your best sounding? Which mode?
I think as I don't know if I'll need spdif, I'll go directly feom Cronus to B3. If there's a different need on the future, I can change it then. It's easier and the less modules you have, the less problems should appear.
Regards Matthias

Hi Russ,
Thanks for your quick and also fast answer, as always!
What implementation of a Stereo DAC is your best sounding? Which mode?
I think as I don't know if I'll need spdif, I'll go directly feom Cronus to B3. If there's a different need on the future, I can change it then. It's easier and the less modules you have, the less problems should appear.
Regards Matthias

You're welcome.

The first question is pretty subjective. :) I like to run in sync mode - but for practical reasons that is better to do with the B3SE.

I would definitely suggest go direct until you need SPDIF. Simple is best.

Yes you will want 45.1584/49.152MHz Rhea Pair and select 1:2 clock divider jumper.

I was hoping to work on manuals over the weekend - but no time yet - what I am going to do is concentrate on the details of one module at a time. I have Cronus almost done. :)

Until then you won't have any trouble getting answers. :)

Cheers!
Russ

Hello Russ,
It's great news that you will be soon able to present us the manuals for the products at hand. There is no doubt's documents will be clear and concise. However, during past couple of weeks I have been dealing with linux regarding BBB and my head still hurts...
Before all this, I was using Amanero with arduino uno controlling BIII DAC and Acko S03 in synchronous arrangement. I considered couple of options then to avoid having big tower case computer in my living room - first one is to have some fanless mini (or micro) pc connected to my DAC by USB connection and second was to have it all banded together (BBB, Cronus, Hermes) in my DAC case connected by network cable.
Having mini PC around is not a bad thing so that might be the universal option, but I decided to be adventurous and bought BBB package.
I know there is a couple of options for BBB, most popular being Mieros with botic driver and boticized debian distro, namely Volumio. There are plenty of info on forum but scattered. I would be nice to have it all, step by step in one doc, perhaps wiki is not a bad idea. In the mean time I will use USB connection with amanero.
Regards, Milan

1 - Is there any benefit in using the SMD resistors instead of through hole for R1-7?

2 - Is it correct to position Cronus as close as possible to my BIIISE, connecting it with U.FL wires and use a flatwire from Cronus to Hermus/Amanero?

1 - There is no appreciable difference. Do whatever is most practical for you.

2 - I would put the Cronus as close as practical to the B3SE. I would stack the Hermes on top of - or under the Cronus using the supplied headers. Do whichever makes most sense for your case.

Cheers!
Russ